Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have concluded that ceiling insulation is by far the most important, and unless you are tall enough to need the headroom, it pays to add an extra inch up there.

I have two inches of Thinsulate in the ceiling, but significant portions of the walls are not insulated yet and I have no coverings at all over my windows, which are the maximum size that would fit in my 136” HR.

Last night we camped out. Temperature was supposed to drop to freezing, so I decided to try out the new quilt I made. This is no namby-pamby quilter's quilt, but a serious light-weight keep-warm quilt.

I had to come out of it. Temperature never dropped below high 40’s in the van. I figured the forecasters had gotten it wrong, but when the thermometer was set on the picnic table after the sun was up, it registered 34°. Given that we will rarely camp much colder than this, window coverings have dropped on my list of priorities.

·
Super Moderator
10,853 Posts
Yes, but, obviously you have your "love" (MrNomer) to keep you warm!

·
Registered
625 Posts
My recent RL observations:
Last weekend I did a quick road trip to AM Solar in Eugene, OR. Spent the night at a rest area on I-5.

I have one layer of Thinsulate throughout most of the van, including stuffed into most cavities and over the front cargo area; only place I'm lacking is the front doors. I used a layer of EZ-Cool stuck to the rear and side windows and a sheet hung behind the front seats for privacy.

I parked the van and it was 70F in the back (a few hours of driving with the heat on). No heater and five hours later it was still 53F inside while it had dropped to 41F outside.

I did measure surface temp on the EZ-Cool and the window glass (via painters tape, to get the same emissivity). The EZ-Cool was 48F, the glass 42F.

I'm looking forward to getting some paneling up for the walls and ceiling, which will have a layer of EZ-Cool behind it. With an air gap to most of the Thinsulate, I should get something noticeable from it.

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
1 inch of Polyisocyanurate on the ceiling and walls is perfect. Kelty large bag (not down) opened up for quilt good down to 32, no need for extra heat until time to get up when we switch on the Espar heater and in 20 minutes skivvys are warm enough to make coffee (avoid letting your mind imagine this.) No condensation with vent opened an inch except the fromt windows. Curtain between cab and van and insulated (home made) coverings over the windows (those don't condense). I think we would be good down to the mid teens without the heater running all night. The heater is awesome and recommended but it is a spendy item. I'll try to do an inside and out temp tonight. Refrigerator is running and we do make heat you know.

·
Super Moderator
10,853 Posts
Just the thought of Mr & Mrs RD drinking coffee in their skivies is more than I can manage this morning at 4:22AM:eek::laugh:

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
Yea, I know! It was a warm night in northern MS so 52 outside and 57 inside. Vent open 2 inches to let the van breathe and eliminate condensation. No heat on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts