Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI folks, after mouths of looking, I finally located a fully loaded PMC wagon in a color I like, dark red.I went to look at it today, but unfortunately, it was at the dealers commercial lot located a few blocks away from the dealership, and they are not open weekends. I drove down there and I was able to see it through the gates and I really liked the way it looked. I have seen several PMC on the roads, but have never seen one with the alloy wheels in any other color than white.
So I'm thinking that if I can get a decent deal, and I like the test drive, I'm going to buy it. I've done a lot a research, watched all the youtube vids, and I think it will be the perfect van for what I want to used it for.
There are still a few questions I haven't been able to find info on. Maybe some of you PMC wagon owners can help me answer.

I understand the the back seat can be removed by unbolting it, true? and if so how much floor length does that give you from the drivers seat to the inside of the rear doors.

Do any of you PMC wagon owners have any regrets on buying one?

What are the things you like best and the things you hate the most about it?

Thanks in advance, Scott

·
Registered
6 Posts
HI folks, after mouths of looking, I finally located a fully loaded PMC wagon in a color I like, dark red.I went to look at it today, but unfortunately, it was at the dealers commercial lot located a few blocks away from the dealership, and they are not open weekends. I drove down there and I was able to see it through the gates and I really liked the way it looked. I have seen several PMC on the roads, but have never seen one with the alloy wheels in any other color than white.
So I'm thinking that if I can get a decent deal, and I like the test drive, I'm going to buy it. I've done a lot a research, watched all the youtube vids, and I think it will be the perfect van for what I want to used it for.
There are still a few questions I haven't been able to find info on. Maybe some of you PMC wagon owners can help me answer.

I understand the the back seat can be removed by unbolting it, true? and if so how much floor length does that give you from the drivers seat to the inside of the rear doors.

Thanks in advance, Scott
I like my 2016 PMC all white with alloy wheels. It has the factory installed bulkhead no rear seats. I've outfitted the rear for my hobby. It gets great gas mileage, I've had it on quite a few extended trips and have camped out in it, pretty handy.

The only issue, which is a non-issue for you is, sometimes I wish I had additional seating. Of course I wouldn't be able to do some of the other things if I had seats in the way. Everybody has different wants and needs though.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Thanks in advance, Scott
3 total bolts I believe, and that should remove all of the back seats.
Not sure if I understand the question correctly, but you won't pick up much room after taking out the seats.
The Tradesman's come with an additional floor panel installed, taking the cargo floor all the way to the back of the front seats.
In the Wagon's, you have the floor cavity where the seat's backrest folds into when folded forward. That space is just big enough for my size 12 shoes.
You'll gain about an extra foot or so of cargo space after folding the seat forward, maybe just over 2 feet with the seats out, but have to deal with the cavity.

Overall, super happy with my PMC. It has its quirks, like the Uconnect radio (more an issue after I un-installed it and upgraded) and the 9 speed transmission that takes some getting used to, especially after moving from a 1500 HEMI 5 speed auto to the City...Just can't stomp on it like I did in my truck.

The PMC is one excellent blank slate to mod the crap out of, for work or pleasure.
I use it to move band/PA gear around every weekend, and I can carry everything my truck could, plus more passengers, and, I don't have to unload all my gear at 3am in the morning after a gig. Something I would have had to do every time with my truck. I also have to deal with an 86 year old father, and him getting into my truck was a chore for both of us. Downsizing was a must, but so was functionality and practicality. I still had to retain the same functions I could perform with my truck.

I do not regret buying one, I just regret buying it from that particular dealer. That is a whole other thread to start...

All I say is, don't expect much creature comforts with the PMC, even with the SLT. It is certainly not a high end vehicle, but is so much better a vehicle than the NV200's, every Ford Transit Connect, including the Diesel model, and the Chevy POS. although the Connect has so many available options and configurations, it's a Ford, and it just has that feel to it that every Ford I have ever driven feels like...Bleh...so...Ford like...bleh...no thank you!

Good luck! Hope you enjoy your PMC!

·
Registered
8 Posts
With the seats folded down, I measured about 80 inches from the rear doors to the back of the front seats. I haven't unbolted the seats yet, but it doesn't look too hard. The bigger of the two seats might be a bit unwieldy, I'll probably need two people to move it in and out.

My PMC is a 2017 SLT Wagon. I wanted something I could use as a daily driver that I could gradually build into a mini camper van. The Wagon is more practical as a daily drive but will be more work to convert into a camper. In the end I figured it wasn't that much more to get the Wagon and you can go from wagon to cargo pretty much by removing the seats, but it'd be much harder to go from cargo to wagon as the back seats aren't available.

I've only had my van for a few weeks so its a bit early for likes and dislikes. I can say that the driver's position is something I like and dislike. I like that the seat and steering wheel adjustments give me a lot of room. I'm a tall guy (6'6") so some vehicles are a pain to get in and out of, or they don't have enough leg or head room. No problems with the PMC in this regard. My dislike comes from the fact that with the seat all the way to the rear, the B pillar is on the large side and blocks my view on oncoming traffic. I have to lean forward to see around it sometimes. This is probably only a problem for people who slide the front drivers seat all the way back. Overall I don't regret my purchase and hope to have many years of travel in my van.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I recently removed the rear seatS from my PMC Wagon SLT. I don't know why I waited so long. The last three vehicles I've owned have been small trucks with only useless fold-away jump seats in back. I demonstrated zero need for rear seating all these years. When I got my PMC I kept the rear seats in for the first year. No one EVER sat in them up to that point.
What I like to say is that I got a "crucial foot" of rear cargo space back. My bike is a little easier to throw in back. The dream of sleeping in the back for a night just got a little bit more realistic (which I plan to do a couple times over the next month or so).
Other advantages are:
*I can now slide the driver and passenger seats comfortably back (more legroom than ever), even with my bike stowed in back.
*I HATE the super-awkward hand roller to recline the driver's seat, however, with the rear seats removed you can (finally) recline the front seat flat back. ...if you take the time to painstakingly roll the goofy knob seemingly forever.
*Before the rear seats were sort of "embedding" themselves into the back of the front seats, I had kept them rolled forward for so long. Now my the back of my front seats have regained their normal shape and the indentations are gone.

You can remove just the twosome bench, just the single seat, or both. They are two separate installations, jammed together to make a three-seat bench. Each installation uses only three bolts, so six total bolts for the rear seats. I seriously considered leaving just the single seat installed, as a rare third person seating option. That would still allow the driver new freedom of rearward movement, and only keep the front passenger seat jammed-up as normal. It would also provide an extended-length sleeping slot (giving that extra "crucial foot") for one sleeper behind the driver's seat.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Thanks in advance, Scott
I posted a detailed reply yesterday, but this forum is so heavily moderated that it was apparently never approved.
I certainly hope no one disturbs this quiet thread by posting useful answers, like tired to do. Keep up the good work, mods. You've got this thread on lockdown.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've had mine for 3 months. Bought a new leftover 2016 SLT.. standard white, no side windows. Customized it with the Wayfarer Vans micro-camper kit. (Discussed in other threads on this forum). The van is obviously a big noisy steel box. The Wayfarer kit quieted that big time. I wish I had purchased the van with the roof rack. I've found some after market rails that should work. Mileage is about 24-25 mpg in town. Highway mileage is about 27-28. I am 6'7" and fit okay, but legroom is snug. The manual seat adjustments are hard to work. Perhaps they will loosen up over time. My last vehicles all had power seat adjustments, so maybe I'm just spoiled. I have the uConnect 5 with NAV. The tiny 5 inch screen is a bit hard to read. The Tom-Tom GPS seems to struggle with my back road ventures. It's a good thing Google Maps on my cell phone has a download option. My greatest gripe is that speedometer is very small, it is set in deep in a shadow and too far to the left of the driver's line of sight. All-in-all... my focus is on value of the van as my very economical micro-camper RV

·
Super Moderator
10,148 Posts
I posted a detailed reply yesterday, but this forum is so heavily moderated that it was apparently never approved.
I certainly hope no one disturbs this quiet thread by posting useful answers, like tired to do. Keep up the good work, mods. You've got this thread on lockdown.
This thread is not locked. If your post didn't show up it's much more likely because of your own carelessness in posting it but it certainly has NOTHING to do with the moderators I can assure you.

·
Registered
212 Posts
This thread is not locked. If your post didn't show up it's much more likely because of your own carelessness in posting it but it certainly has NOTHING to do with the moderators I can assure you.
Why not just share a link to the post he is referring to? It's right above his second one...being new to the forum, why not help him out?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the replies and all the great info!

I'm still trying to negotiate a good deal and I suppose I'm be a little indecisive.

I currrently drive a 2013 tacoma prerunner access cab. I love the truck but it just doesnt work for me. The roof length is to short to mount my kayak, I have a canvas shell on it but I really don't like sleeping in it, its cramped and does not offer much security for me or my stuff.

Before my truck I had a 2004 Astro cargo van that I converted into a nice camping van. I installed a panel kit and a pair of bay windows I found on ebay and a sofa bed I found on craigslist. I loved that van but after 160k miles little things started to go wrong and I just felt I couldn't trust it anymore. At the time there wasn't anything to replace it with, so I bought the truck.

I think the PMC would be a good replacement for my Astro, probably a little less room and a little less power but much better gas mileage. I don't think the PMC has that "creepy" look that people used to tell my my white Astro had.

So, my next step is to take my truck to Carmax and have it appraised. A couple of people I work with sold their vehicles to Carmax because they offered them more than the dealer did on a trade. Dealers like to make you think they are making you a good deal on a vehicle and then try to screw you on your trade, so a written offer on my truck will be a good negotiating tool.

Thanks again for the replies, Scott

·
Super Moderator
10,148 Posts
Why not just share a link to the post he is referring to? It's right above his second one...being new to the forum, why not help him out?
Although PopeAng deleted this post after posting it I resurrected it for a very good reason. He asked a valid question and members could be confused because he deleted it and thus my response.

Because I didn't see his first post first, that's why. If someone needs help all they have to do is ask. Some people always seem to want to complain and blame others when they screw up. Most likely he never made his first post in the new members thread and so his second post wasn't accepted. The moderators have no control over that. If you don't post in the new member section first and get approved then subsequent posts are not or do not post. There is a very good reason for this - spam!

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
For the complainers- I want you to compare this forum to many others on the net and realize how much better this one is. It is on topic, no politics, few salacious comments, few complaints about the moderation, few deleted posts, and little tolerance by the members for the gripers and complainers. We are here to share, help each other and get along. Keep this in mind until you at least get to senior member status and know how it works. I think if you do that you will enjoy it and we will listen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts