Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RE: Flettner TCX-2 install

Hi,

I would like to install a Flettner TCX-2 in my 2014 Dodge promaster 1500 136WB. Does anyone have any experience doing this? I contacted a local company that sells the Flettner and they told me that because the ridges on the roof are too close together that I would have to use a hydraulic punch to flatten the roof when making the hole. I have a hydraulic punch set from Greenlee that I use for work as I am an electrician. Just wondering if this would work or can anyone recommend the right tool to create this hole while flattening the roof.

Thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
The last shot on that video is a Ducato. The hole, 75mm, is 3". I can't get to the roof of my van right now, but it seems you should be able to find a flat spot 3" wide. Maybe not.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,436 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The TCX-2 model requires a 5.75 inch flat spot on the roof as the base has to cover around the hole. They also make an narrower model that only requires a 4.25inch flat spot. I can't remember the exact measurements I got when I measured as I don't have that paper in front of me and I'm not currently near my van. However I recall it being much smaller than this. The area I am referring to is up towards the front of the vehicle where people would commonly install a Maxx air fan. As in this location the ribs of the roof are not as high.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would prefer to flatten the roof and install this vent as low profile as possible due to aerodynamics and all. So I'd like to use a hydraulic punch to flatten the roof. I have a 4 inch knockout, which is in reality a 4.5 inch hole. If I turn the cutter reversed I should b able to compress a flat spot on the roof of 4.5 inches which will give the required space to punch out a 3 inch hole to install the slim profile version of the Flettner TCX-2. I just have no experience with flattening metal this way and I have never used my knockout set on an uneven surface.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Don't do it

I would prefer to flatten the roof and install this vent as low profile as possible due to aerodynamics and all. So I'd like to use a hydraulic punch to flatten the roof. I have a 4 inch knockout, which is in reality a 4.5 inch hole. If I turn the cutter reversed I should b able to compress a flat spot on the roof of 4.5 inches which will give the required space to punch out a 3 inch hole to install the slim profile version of the Flettner TCX-2. I just have no experience with flattening metal this way and I have never used my knockout set on an uneven surface.
:

Funny timing, I am installing one of my two Flattener TCX-2 vents in my PM this week end.

eek: Zen, Please don't over think your installation. Ask your self are they flattening roofs by the thousands in the UK and Europe, I would think not. If you attempt this you will most likely risk damaging your roof, not to mention the risk of paint delimitation and the the risk of rust developing.

The rib width top and bottom is approximately 68-69mm by 9-10mm deep. I just filled the gap on the interior with 3/8" ply glued in place with Sika 252. On the exterior you can just build up 3 layers of 1/8" Butyl tape and then 1 final layer to make a flat sealed surface. Use Dycor lap sealant to finish it and your done. Simple and no risk.

The spacer that comes with the vent is 3/8" think, discard this as you will not get the lock nut on if you use it, as the roof is already 3/8" thick.

Don't cut a hole bigger than the 98mm the max Flettner specs. In addition I would not go smaller than 3 1/2" as you will loose a lot of volume. I recommend using a hole saw.

I have pictures of my prep and will take picture of the install and post this week end.

Hope this helps,

Dave
PS they make a spacer for use with thicker roofs if you are adding a ceiling liner on the interior ribs

·
Registered
233 Posts
Zen,

I Forgot to mention don't buy the narrow base as it will not fit between the ribs and will only give you less surface area on top of the ribs.

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
233 Posts
Zen,

When I do post pics it will not be in this intro section

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi,
Funny timing, I am installing one of my two Flattener TCX-2 vents in my PM this week end.

Hello frnd
welcometo this site
your question i suggest you you search or consult the expert
if you want so chek this site this is a multiple quries..
-------------
top ten classified website

1 - 17 of 17 Posts