Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my RB Components/Newhouse Wall Mount Folding Sofa Sleeper installed. Installation was pretty easy. I mounted my along the driverside wall so I can still have access to storing my paddleboards and other gear. All-in-all a great investment thus far.

Here is the sofa from their site:
http://www.rbcomponents.com/components/furniture/furniture/76in-sofa-sleeper.html

I actually bought it off Amazon from them, it was $650 but with Prime it shipped free! This was cheaper then buying it from their site and paying the $250 to ship it.

While it doesnt have seat belts for passengers, it is better then the beach chairs I had. Ill just ratchet strap any passengers in...

Attachments

Reactions: KeepMeMoving

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think those are terrific! Wish I could afford it for my own van.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just got my RB Components/Newhouse Wall Mount Folding Sofa Sleeper installed. Installation was pretty easy. I mounted my along the driverside wall so I can still have access to storing my paddleboards and other gear. All-in-all a great investment thus far. Here is the sofa from their site:
http://www.rbcomponents.com/components/furniture/furniture/76in-sofa-sleeper.html
I actually bought it off Amazon from them, it was $650 but with Prime it shipped free! This was cheaper then buying it from their site and paying the $250 to ship it.
While it doesnt have seat belts for passengers, it is better then the beach chairs I had. Ill just ratchet strap any passengers in...
So now that you have had this sofa sleeper in place for awhile, how do you like it?
Is it comfortable to sit on?
Is is sturdy?
Is it easy to fold and unfold?

I assume you used the special wall mount that that RB components sells. Did you?
http://www.rbcomponents.com/bed-support-bracket-set-228.html
If not, did the frame's mount holes line up with the vertical ribs in the van?

Also, did you figure out a solution for seatbelts? I was thinking it should be easy to bolt a waist belt to the wall, but a 3 point harness would be tougher.

I am very interested in one of these, but am surprised that I don't see more people using them. They seem like an affordable seating and sleeping option that when folded away are hardly even noticed. I am considering the shorter 58" long sofa and adding a foldout shelf to make it a full length sleeper. The 76" length of the longer sofa may be too big for my 136" since it will only be used as a sleeper on occasion.

I'd love to hear some feedback about your experience so far.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,712 Posts
A few thoughts... please, not to be taken as criticism, but some size considerations...

I would compare the RB unit to a box-style bed. I built (2) box beds that run parallel to my side walls.
They are 72" long (can be made any size.. we're just 5'5" so 72" is fine!) and 24" wide (20" would work just as well) The height can be made to fit over the wheel well if that's where you want it.
The 24" wide couch has a sliding top that extends to 30"... pretty comfortable for sleeping. A 20" would also be made to extend to 30" for sleeping.
You get lots of managable storage underneath
It is double hinged to allow hinged access to underneath.

Actually it is very similar to the RB bed. The back cushion slides down to add to the width of the bed when extended. The cushions are 4" thick foam.

A note on seatbelts. (my observations) Side facing seatbelts in RV's are not shoulder belts, just lap belts. This seems to be standard in every RV I've seen. With lap belts, using the RB couch, they could easily be bolted thru the floor with DOT approved nuts 'n bolts, and slid thru the crack between the bottom cushion and the back rest. Lots of seatbelt companies online.

Again, I like the look and functionality of the RB unit. I am just documenting an alternate approach that would probably be less than half the price and has great storage space in the same footprint.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Proeddie,those are nice benches and they look like they provide alot of storage space, but the appeal of the RB bench is the fact that it folds completely out of the way when not in use and it isn't mounted to the floor.

I agree that a bench like yours would be cheaper and a reasonable DIY project, but the minimum space taken up by the RB bench fits a niche in a small van. Thank for the advice and photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,712 Posts
SQM,

I didn't see the folded-against-the-wall picture! I see that the RB would make for more floor space when folded!

Then again, I guess you'd have to put whatever is in the space the bed requires someplace else when you're using it as a couch or bed.....

·
Registered
538 Posts
I've admired the heck out of those R&B benches. Love that it folds up flat to the wall. Had something like that in our last toy hauler RV. But they are expensive and shipping is crazy expensive too. I'm settling on building my own horizontal folding Murphy bed for this van.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know it has been a year since you installed these...can you give any feedback as to how they are holding up? And...if they are comfortable to sleep on?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts