Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So when I check out some builds, I see stuff like this ALL the time. People have their items arranged nicely in cabinets, or their knives on a magnetic mount, or spices on a shelf. How do you people prevent stuff from just falling out or becoming a mess? If I had my stuff like the screenshot below, they would all be upside down and a mess when I arrived at the climbing area, as I had to go down a 4 mile potholed, washboarded, and halfway 4x4 road to get there. They would also rattle like crazy. There is glass next to glass right there, how does that not constantly clank going down the road?

Do most of these people just stay at RV resorts and drive on pavement? Am I doing something wrong? Should I have a different method of securing?

I ask also because I want to build a shelf in my kitchen area. I definitely want to mount a paper towel holder underneath, but I was curious about the top of the shelf. What do I build there to make it look good, but also prevent items from falling off. Thing coffee mugs, salt, pepper, etc. Maybe a dowel across to prevent things from falling off?

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Minicell foam is great for putting between items that want to rattle. It doesn't smell so you can use it around food and in the fridge between cans (for example). We also use closet-maid fabric boxes inside our cabinets with dish and hand towels as rattle control. For cabinet and drawer doors, we prefer positive close slam latches like the Southco M1. Drawer bottoms are lined with EVA foam.

We don't have a large upper cabinets full of stuff because the pitching moment/amplitude up high is a lot more than down low nearer to the roll center.

take note of the TV keeper (tm:) straps to hold it snug to the wall while underway. There is another one on the other side. The
slotted tabs for the straps attach to the frame of the TV with VHB tape with the other end screwed to the wall panel.
-Need to to get those listed on ebay.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Like Hein, we limit the size and weight of the overhead galley cabinet. It rattles a bit, but with careful packing is never a problem. Ours has sliding doors, nothing falls out when opening them. Down below in the galley things rattle, but again, careful stowage solves big problems.

Under the upper galley cabinet we have a net/hammock to hold chips, bread and fruit.

Above our twin beds along the side walls in back we use canvas hammocks to hold sleeping bags, coats and clothes. Tidy and easy.

The photo you referenced has so much empty space my wife would have a fit. Too much cabinet or too little stuff there. Perhaps a poor plan.

·
Registered
51 Posts
All of my shelves were installed at a slight slant towards the wall so the vibratory action of the washboard roads help settle the items snugly together and few items ever fall off. Rolloff is the main problem but that is usually operator error.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,524 Posts
Pbanbury, that wasted space was also my first thought. Tightly packed things tend to rattle less, too.

Nearly all small items in my van are in drawers. Besides ease of access, it's easier to arrange things to prevent rattles. I really don't understand why the utensil drawer doesn't rattle.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,535 Posts
I'm a bit fussy about creaks, rattles and clangs while driving down the road... (ask my wife, I drive her crazy trying to figure out, "what's rattling back there?")

I have purchased a few Harbor Freight moving blankets and have used them to sew "pockets" for items that rattle, like pans, my butane stoves, flagpole & parts, etc. My "pockets" are basically 3 sided flat bags that I slide things into. It keeps 'em really quiet and costs little. I use the scraps to make square pads that I can stuff between some items that make noise.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Cardboard boxes work great in drawers and the price is right.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
If there is no overhead cabinets, then that would be wasted space. Even if it was half full you would have gained.
Use small card board boxes or something inside the cabinets.

My upper cabinets are super light weight with 1/8 panel board sandwich 1/2 inch foam board then 1/8 panel board (glued).
Doors are the same with a frame inside.

Promaster has a lower center of gravity and lighter then the competition.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,524 Posts
"If there is no overhead cabinets, then that would be wasted space."

If the space adds to my visual pleasure, it's not wasted. If it's enclosed, I want something to fit there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts