Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the transmission is put into reverse, there's a rattle under the front end. Sounds like thin metal hitting together. It gets louder with acceleration and goes away when taken out of reverse. Drives fine and no dash lights.

Van goes to the dealer Monday for rear bushings. If anyone else has had this issue, I'd like to know.

·
Registered
15 Posts
How many miles do you have on your van? Many years ago I had something similar on a 73 Duster and it turned out to be worn motor mounts allowing the engine to twist more than it should and that caused the fan blade to rub the shroud around the radiator. I would not expect motor mounts to go bad until you had many years on the car so this seems unlikely for your case I am guessing.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hope it's not this but I would suspect transmission (flexplate/flywheel)
I know reverse is usually the 1st to go on transmissions.
Gassers have had a few transmission problems.
Let us know

·
Registered
7 Posts
MsNomer,
I have noticed a similar problem with my 2015 gasser (5,000 miles). I started to notice a noise and a slight shuddering coming from the transmission when I back up an incline, it happens even on the slightest of inclines. The noise and shudder only happen in reverse on an incline. If the incline is more than 20 degrees it feels like the transmission slips a bit. I'm glad to hear (or maybe not) that this is not just 'normal' as I had chalked it up to be.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Doesn't sound like we have the same problem. For me, incline is irrelevant and there is no shudder or slip. We wouldn't have even discovered the issue if I hadn't gotten out to guide backing into a campsite. We can't hear it inside the vehicle, so we really don't know how long it's been there.

You may be sure that if I had your symptoms, I would be camped at the dealer.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
18,000 miles
When you put it in reverse the entire engine and transmission assembly will try to rotate in the opposite direction, and it's normal to have a little movement due to engine and transmission mounts which are somewhat soft to help isolate vibration.

If it sounds like sheet metal it "may" be something as simple as an exhaust hanger that's loose, or a cable that starts hitting something else, etc.

I'd open the hood and have someone shift from drive to reverse giving it a little gas while holding the brakes tight. Maybe you can duplicate the noise. Just don't get in front of vehicle. You may be able to hear where the noise is coming from.

Hopefully it's not the transmission, although it would be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I think there is a thin metal heat shield over the muffler and maybe one other. With the engine off, tranny in park, and brake on you could get under the van and manually try to move thin metal shields. Something may be loose.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It will go to the dealer tomorrow anyway for rear bushings. I'll let them do the crawling.

I do believe it's something minor.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,539 Posts
We hit something that bent the heat shield. They bent it back.

Also getting new outside mirror. Passenger mirror has a lot of wiggle.
I'll betcha that make you "one happy camper!"

Hoping we can get together on your trip east... talked to KOV already.

Ed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts