Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was the first time I have ever seen an actual promaster WINDOW van being driven on a road. Sure, I have seen a grand total of 3 window vans in person since early 2014 since I started paying attention, but they were unbought white window vans sitting on dodge dealer lots, starving for an actual interested buyer. Am curious to know if people would chime in on if they have ever spotted a promaster window van (other than their own) on the roads. Are they still rare sightings in yout area?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Very rare (and there are a decent number of PMs on the roads around here in general). I can't recall ever seeing one.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Looked at one on a used lot last spring, decided since I haul MX bikes a lot no windows was a better fit for me. Have not seen one since in the PDX area

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm surprised there ANY, actually..
Putting "The Windows before the seats" is kind of like putting "the cart before the horse".

Who needs windows (that don't open) without seats to look out them?

(I haven't seen any on the road.)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Consistently seen ads for a ProMaster WINDOW van, that's an aftermarket conversion, in Daytona on AutoTrader.

Always presume it's some kind of scam b/c same photo & the price is $32,xxx.

From the Ram Truck salesmen I've talked to there may never be "an actual promaster WINDOW van being" offered directly from Ram Truck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We bought a window van because of the looks of the Auto-sleepers line. We think it looks best. Having said that I have never seen one on the road, also the reason that they didn't sell is because dealer sent them to converters to build passenger vans, and when they were done they tried to sell them at 52K+. Well MB sprinters passenger vans are well equipped for 5K less so that didn't work. I talked to the dealer and they said that adding seats and rear air cost about 10-15K per van. I thought that was crazy. We are putting in some lightly used sprinter seats and it will cost a total of $1,000 + my labor.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't get me wrong...I am ok with it being a rare vehicle on the road. Last month I factory ordered a sandstone promaster window van, with swivel seats in front, to be used for my mobile office. Was really hoping for factory windows that opened for 2016 models, but did not happen. From what I am hearing there are some design flaws with the openable windows on the ford transit, so I am glad I did not go that route. The one promaster van I did see on the road yesterday was the dark gray graphite color...that color makes the ugly gray side moldings and windows kinda disappear. Vehicle looked nice actually.

·
Registered
131 Posts
There was a black one on a lot near me. Because is was black you literally could not tell there were any windows; I didn't know until I went inside. Very cool...

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
907 Posts
Don't get me wrong...I am ok with it being a rare vehicle on the road. Last month I factory ordered a sandstone promaster window van, with swivel seats in front, to be used for my mobile office. Was really hoping for factory windows that opened for 2016 models, but did not happen. From what I am hearing there are some design flaws with the openable windows on the ford transit, so I am glad I did not go that route. The one promaster van I did see on the road yesterday was the dark gray graphite color...that color makes the ugly gray side moldings and windows kinda disappear. Vehicle looked nice actually.
You actually ordered factory swivel seats? Are you certain the order went through? If it did you are the first one that managed to get them. I would call and be absolutely certain you are getting swivel seats because a lot of people have tried and they were cancelled.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Early this year local dealership had 3 ProMasters. One had been to a conversion shop, sorry forgot the company name.
The converted one had windows like our Sprinter, down both sides and rear door with none opened.
It also had gray flooring, looked like in/outdoor carpet.
Had seating, like mobility seating for transit style along with grab bars by side and back doors push one ran down length of driver's side in back section.
Looked at it's photos online but before weather cleared up enough for Mama and I to go down to look in person it was gone. Not only it but the other ProMasters they had on the lot. Figured at first they must of sold all of them. But, kept eye out for any new ProMasters and none have shown up on lot since then. Guess they decided not to carry ProMaster anymore. Kinda made us think ProMaster might go the way Dodge did with Sprinters. Don't want to have to travel to city when need service or warranty work done. We decided to wait awhile longer before deciding on replacement to our Sprinter. Hopefully they will get all bugs worked out that have read on here not only on ProMasters but other tall version vans available now.
Seen a few cargo ProMaster versions over in city on lots but none with windows.

·
Premium Member
8,859 Posts
MikeP,
I have a June 2015 built diesel 136 HT. I have had none of the bugs mentioned in this forum. I think you and Mama could travel to the city and get a PM built then or later and be assured you wont be bothered to go back to the city to have warranty work done.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I intentionally mentioned the swivel seats in my previous forum post, because I assume others reading this forum might want to know that it is possible to order that as an option now. I ordered on Sept 28...also got the auxillary battery prep and bright chrome colored bezels on the dashboard, along with many other options. Only thing that the dealer told me was rejected was the auxillary switch option, and the dealer has convinced me that his upfitter can make that happen inexensively aftermarket. I tried to order about a year ago, and the swivels were rejected by the ordering process. Same thing happened 4 months ago. Several dealers that I looked at kind of blew me off when I told them I needed that option. Makes me glad I waited.

·
Premium Member
8,859 Posts
Housecallvet,
When those swivel seats come in please post up pictures and a video of how they swivel. Also what the height is. I got the driver's Sportscraft from Eurocampers.com, who gave great service and helpful with questions. It raised the seat 1.25 inches (measured with a vernier) and despite what they say I cannot turn it inwards. The back comes up against the steering wheel so unless I raise the back vertical it won't go around. Outwards (counterclockwise) it works fine but must be slid forward and then backward to do that. A bit fussy but easy once you learn how. They are heavy and tough though and with shipping $300 When I saw the factory swivels were priced at $500 per I felt they were too much but if they are really better???!!?
Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am indeed hopeful, but not entirely confident, that the factory swivel seats will be on my promaster when it eventually arrives. When I was still deciding between a transit and and a promaster earlier this fall, a pretty reputable commercial vehicle manager at a very large Ford dealership told me that the transit van will unlikely NEVER have factory swivel seats, and that ram promaster is also unlikely to actually produce vans with swivels also. He claimed there were some impending safety issues that needed to be settled. Of course, he also said several other things about both vehicles that clearly suggested that he was accustomed to just making stuff up. I have a signed statement from the dealer I ordered my van from that the dealer must produce the exact vehicle with the exact options that I have ordered, or my nonrefundable deposit will be returned to me.

·
Registered
473 Posts
We just got back from a long trip to the northwest. Saw a window version, silver in color, somewhere in Oregon. Can't remember where exactly. Got my attention because had never seen one before....

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,857 Posts
East Coast (CT) Unicorn!

One day I found this large hole in the side of my PM,

So I decided to fill it in with glass!

It is a lot brighter back there with windows! I did note that the factory window van uses 2 pieces of glass and leaves the backmost metal column in place. CRL has one big (7') piece of glass to fill the 159wb back corners.

Ed

·
Registered
774 Posts
Folksies, been one in my driveway since June...

Had a sit down w/ the Justin the commercial sales manager & outlined historically what it had taken to get me to purchase my now 17-year-old F150… 25% off sticker and don’t shame me on my trade-ins, I wanted a diesel window van... five weeks later he had two consecutive serial number diesel window vans advertised at my price and I took the bait for the smoothest riding one...

Been a lot of fun so far, I have R-14 worth of insulation below the windows and R-8 above (so far) and am staining & varnishing the below-window plywood inserts today to installed tomorrow. I'll get a post to my blog this evening perhaps!

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Zoomyn, i will be doing a similiar thing with my window van when it arrives. Ordered the lower plastic interior panels just to quicken the process. The lower factory panels should make nice templates for my own wooden interior panels. Of course i have several months to wait befoe I have my van to tinker with...looking forward to being able to stand up tall in my mobile office...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts