Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2015 diesel 2500 PM. After I fill up, often at the same station/same pump, I reset the Trip A #'s. Then when I scroll through the EVIC it normally tells me that my range (still sitting at the pump) is 477 miles.

I think it's probably just a base # programmed in there and that the range is affected by many factors. I've always taken it as a suggestion, and I always aim to get more.

Just filled up (same station, same pump) and when I reset my Trip A #'s and then checked the range, it said 415 miles.

Anyone care to guess why it would have changed so much?

·
Registered
426 Posts
My range numbers are rarely the same on every fillup. I believe (guess) that the range takes into account the mpg on the previous tank, factors in current tank mpg and instant mpg and comes up with a number. So if your recent mpg's have been lower, your range will be correspondingly lower. At least that is my theory based on my experience.

·
Super Moderator
10,853 Posts
Mine always says about 340 to 380 at home (NH) while traveling across the country it has ranged from 450 to almost 500. I find the number meaningless until you are at about a ¼ tank full.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,500 Posts
Just as every body has guessed it is a guess from your current mpg average untill about a 1/4 tank and then it goes to real time fuel use. It's in one of the manuals.

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
Yes agreed. My diesel almost always shows 554 miles remaining when filled but that ends up being about what I get until the next fill at a bit under 1/4 tank which must have 5+ gallons or so left. It will then say about 160 miles left. If it is right can I get 700 miles and not run out?? I usually get 27 mpg for a tankfull and if the tank holds 24 gal. I suppose it wouldn't quite. Maybe 650 and coast to a stop?

·
Registered
770 Posts
My PM always has gotten near record high mileages on the Illinois Tollway just being lock-step in a column of cars so drafting a semi-rig truck maybe isn't required, just drafting two or three cars in a row works well and does not have the side-to-side buffeting wake of the big trucks.

For my '14 To reach 700 would require getting an additional 2.5 miles from each gallon across entire tank from my best calculated run & the only way I see that happening is idling away from the fuel pump, downhill ramp to the Interstate in my freshly washed/waxed PM then drafting a line of semi-rigs danger close at 57-60mph for twelve hours straight without stopping, downhill and with a tail wind the whole way... 29+mpg is hard to do.

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
OR...... if the tank actually holds 25+ as most fuel tanks are rated low then you would make it. I seem to recall someone getting a bunch more fuel in. This is not a good idea with the vapor recovery in gassers bu in a diesel? BTW I did one tankfull over 30 mpg, a bunch at 29, 28 is common w/o cruise and 55mph. I have gotten 25 so that means 600 miles at best. I will never know as I don't plan to ever run out.

·
Registered
247 Posts
There's a website where people log in what kind of car they have and how many miles they have driven after the gage has said empty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts