Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Promaster 2500 159wb High Roof
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I do not seem to be finding much information here in regards to ovens/ranges and having an oven is an absolute for me as I plan on cooking a lot on the road :)

I would love to know what ovens you have in your vans? So far, I have looked at Dometic/Furrion/Wedgewood - all are pretty expensive (CAD$1000+), and the space the 3/4 ring burner takes up is also a bit of a turn off as I will be travelling solo so don't necessarily need that much (as well as the lost counter space...unless sunken into the countertop). Would still be interested to hear what people have gone for...

Does anyone have experience with installing a Camp Chef? I found this build out and looks like it is doable and the cost of the oven/stove is 1/4th of the price of a Dometic/Furrion/Wedgewood - with the bonus of 2 burners over 4: https://www.wanderingwoods.org/blog/2017/10/10/sprinter-oven-how-to

Still not fully convinced Camp Chef is the way to go (drawing substantial heat into the van) and I might bite the bullet on one of the others, but I am not a baker so do not need precise temps and jsut do not want the 4 ring burner taking up all that precious counter space.

Q's:
Do you have any other recommendations for a 2/3 ring burner with oven? have not found a single one...
What success have you had with buying used? Given it is propane, assuming they have a longer life over electric if the ignition switches are functional and hoses etc are replaced?

This is my first post on here so hopefully not too rambling!

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
If you don’t bake why an oven? The camp chef is clearly an outdoor device w/o safeguards for use inside. I'd go with one of the smallest RV units or find a way to get along with a stovetop only. I have a Coleman stovetop oven which packs away and cooks well but I used it so seldom I left it in AZ. I decided I really didn’t need an oven.
s-l1600.jpg

·
Super Moderator
10,645 Posts
Don’t forget - this is a van, not a mobile home.

There are many thing we would all like in our vans but experience shows us are impractical. You can certainly put a range in your van but you also have to determine what other things you will have to go without in order to have a range and would it be worth it. That’s a decision only you can make but most van owners have realized an oven is something they can most defiantly live without.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Have you considered a convection microwave? I have a high pointe 1.1 cuft model that costs about $250. Works great, use it all the time (of course you need electric power). I also have a butane/propane cooktop which is smaller, more versatile and has much better heat control than the campchef I had.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Yes, the camp chef is an outdoor product, online retailers might not explicitly state that but they are not responsible for providing you with all details/safety information for the products they sell. Always read the product manual for a purchase like this as it is the only reliable source for product specifications.

There are lots of options, the higher quality/more expensive ones from the marine market:

Maybe some good euro options imported by panther:

and of course there are the cheap elkhart indiana (cheap rv capital of the world) products. I tried to fit a dometic 3 burner/oven combo in my van but the dimensions did not work (depth primarily) and I did not like the loss of space on the countertop compared to the glass covered stove sink combos.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
Check out the Omnia stove top oven. Home | www.omniasweden.com
I have one made in the 1970’s that I have used on group camping trips. It works well on everything from a SVEA 123 to a JetBoil. I never used it on a butane stovetop like we have in our van but I expect it would be good. It makes great brownies, cakes, corn bread etc.

·
Super Moderator
10,645 Posts
We prefer to support local restaurants (when they re=open). Mr & Mrs KOV cook enough at home without doing it any more than necessary "on the road"😉

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you don’t bake why an oven? The camp chef is clearly an outdoor device w/o safeguards for use inside. I'd go with one of the smallest RV units or find a way to get along with a stovetop only. I have a Coleman stovetop oven which packs away and cooks well but I used it so seldom I left it in AZ. I decided I really didn’t need an oven.
View attachment 63594
Baking in the sense of making fancy cakes that need precise temps...but I would still use it for baking break/cooking/crackers, roasting foods, pizza...all the things - I have thought long and hard about this and am 100% certain I need/want one in my van and I am aware I will need to sacrifice space - my career is also connected to food so this is something I want to continue to work on on the road. Thanks for the input regardless :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don’t forget - this is a van, not a mobile home.

There are many thing we would all like in our vans but experience shows us are impractical. You can certainly put a range in your van but you also have to determine what other things you will have to go without in order to have a range and would it be worth it. That’s a decision only you can make but most van owners have realized an oven is something they can most defiantly live without.
I hear you and I am sure I could live without, but I'm choosing something that will still help support my work while travelling and even when I camp, my diet doesn't really change from what I make in the comfort of my home. I know I will have to sacrifice space, but I won't have any other bulky equipment such as bikes/boards etc and I will be solo too...I'm a bit of a minimalist...outsdie of the kitchen anyways!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have you considered a convection microwave? I have a high pointe 1.1 cuft model that costs about $250. Works great, use it all the time (of course you need electric power). I also have a butane/propane cooktop which is smaller, more versatile and has much better heat control than the campchef I had.
I don't use a microwave in my normal day to day so its not something I would consider in the van - thanks for the suggestion though!

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
Well then, install propane and get this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, the camp chef is an outdoor product, online retailers might not explicitly state that but they are not responsible for providing you with all details/safety information for the products they sell. Always read the product manual for a purchase like this as it is the only reliable source for product specifications.

There are lots of options, the higher quality/more expensive ones from the marine market:

Maybe some good euro options imported by panther:

and of course there are the cheap elkhart indiana (cheap rv capital of the world) products. I tried to fit a dometic 3 burner/oven combo in my van but the dimensions did not work (depth primarily) and I did not like the loss of space on the countertop compared to the glass covered stove sink combos.
Thanks for the input - I will have a look at some of those as have not seen the brands. When you say elkhart Indiana products, do you mean used or they manufacture their own? A quick search looked to be a whole bunch of RV parts dealers etc.
I went to an RV showroom today to look at the furrion stove/oven and the depth and loss out counter space is certainly not ideal, sure I would feel more confident knowing it is fit for purpose...but so much counter space!! Also had the thought of sinking it a bit further into the counter and capping it with a slab of countertop to make it flush when not in use - could be an option?

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
301 Posts
I had looked at this, but cooking out of aluminum isn't something I am keen to do on the daily. Thanks for the suggestion though!
They have a silicone insert. I wouldn’t cook in aluminum either.

·
Banned
6 Posts
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. "Promasterforum.com Introduction Section " Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted.
I love my Atwood/Dometic oven. the burners are sealed for easy cleaning and clipped for security during travel. It’s one of the few models that quickly turns from low simmer to full flame.

·
Registered
2019 159 EXT HR (3500) in WA
1,081 Posts
We have the Furrion oven + range.

The first trip out we made spaghetti. One burner had the ground beef, one burner had the noodles and one burner had the (vegetarian) sauce.

The oven works great we've done nachos in it and pizzas and poppers and things like that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts