Ram Promaster Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

· Registered
1,104 Posts
Is it because of the weight of the sound deadener?

Personally I think the butyl type sound deadener is not worth the weight it adds to the van. The weight decreases fuel mileage and increases wear and tear on components. Honestly, if you added 50 pounds to the weight of the door with sound deadener I think that could affect things. Otherwise the dealers decision sounds like hooey.

· Registered
112 Posts
Good to know that some dealerships will look at a built out van. Im going to try the tips that h1k3rb suggested and then take it to an independent shop.

Its not just the door though, the dealership will not look at any thing (might be an LA thing :)). My power mirror stopped working and they noticed that I had installed a Mopar Trailer Harness so immediately work was stopped and I was told I had voided warranty on any electrical work since I had installed the hitch. It didnt matter that the hitch and harness were OEM Mopar parts and that the harness has nothing to do with the power mirror. Or that the harness was there for 1 year before the mirror stopped working. This I really do have no recourse and will actually return to stock and take to another dealership since I need the folding mirror for street parking. Ive tested all the relays and fuses and cannot for the life of me figure out what could be causing it. Anyone know what "module" controls the power mirror? Might be easier to just order the Mopar module and check if that fixes it.
You can try calling dealers ahead of time and just asking. Play it stupid and say “I have a built out work van” or something, and see what they say.

Prior to ordering our van I wanted to see whom in my area would actually service it and only 1 out of 5 in a 25 mile radius said they’d look at it.

Again this is all weird b/c these vans are meant to be leveraged by workers and have shelves and such thrown in them. That dealers logic would void warranty on all those vans.

· Registered
2021 PM 159 HR - Los Angeles, CA
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Is it because of the weight of the sound deadener?

Personally I think the butyl type sound deadener is not worth the weight it adds to the van. The weight decreases fuel mileage and increases wear and tear on components. Honestly, if you added 50 pounds to the weight of the door with sound deadener I think that could affect things. Otherwise the dealers decision sounds like hooey.
I dont think you can add 50lb of deadener to the door :). I have no deadener added to the door itself. And I didnt cover the entire van with sound deadener. Followed the 25% rule and thats probably about 20-25 pounds on the entire van. The van might as well be made of cardboard if sound deadener is causing the door to creak :)

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Again this is all weird b/c these vans are meant to be leveraged by workers and have shelves and such thrown in them. That dealers logic would void warranty on all those vans.
Thats exactly what I told the RamCares rep and his response was "we cant control what the dealership thinks of warranty". I even asked the rep what they were doing on this forum because the entire forum is dedicated to van builders. Again same fallback: dealerships do what they want.

· Registered
3,717 Posts
From this discussion thread and others, it's clear that dealers have the final say and Stellantis isn't willing/able to force them. BUT, not all dealers are that uncooperative either. Many forum members have gotten warranty work done on their camperized vans. Maybe start a thread asking those members for dealer recommendations in your area.

As others have said, it is totally reasonable for them to void the warranty on parts/systems the owner has modified, but that shouldn't automatically void the warranty on the entire van. Some dealers may claim it does, and get away with it, but not all of them do. But, yeah, it's still the s*its.

· Registered
162 Posts
Hey there,

We appreciate being tagged in this. If you're looking for warranty assistance, please send us a direct message. We'd be happy to look into this for you.

Callie
Ram Cares

• Helpful
Reactions: elkwoman

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hey there,

We appreciate being tagged in this. If you're looking for warranty assistance, please send us a direct message. We'd be happy to look into this for you.

Callie
Ram Cares
Hi Callie

Already had a direct message conversation with you (11/10-11/15). You opened case 84649101 for me and my post here is based on the conversation I had with the case manager. It was a pretty horrid experience with "Return to stock and take to a different dealership" being the default answer to everything. I dont mind another conversation with a supervisor/manager of the team who is more knowledgeable about the van (the case manager I spoke to was not aware of anything about a Promaster).

Thanks.

· Registered
162 Posts
We do apologize for the oversight. We've taken a look into your case and see that your case manager is waiting for you to get an appointment with a dealer for a diagnosis.

Callie
Ram Cares

• Love
Reactions: elkwoman

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
We do apologize for the oversight. We've taken a look into your case and see that your case manager is waiting for you to get an appointment with a dealer for a diagnosis.

Callie
Ram Cares
Right - the case manager is waiting for me to "Return to stock and take to a different dealership" :). As I've mentioned in the thread, I am not scraping off the sound deadener and the request to do so is unreasonable and illogical. I'll try to fix the issue myself. Same with the power mirror - going to have to try to fix myself or take to an independent shop. Im glad this is playing out in the forum because this is indicative of the non-existent support I have received from the manufacturer as well as the dealerships. Again, as I mentioned, it would be more helpful to have a supervisor/manager who has some technical knowledge of Promaster vans to get on a call with me.

· Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in Indiana
6,427 Posts
@RamCares
That particularly dealer will apparently void the warranty of every Class B RV Promaster and contractor upfit van because they've been modified.
I hope this Ram Promo van doesn't need any warranty work because he's SOL :)

· Registered
2015 Promaster 3500 159 Ext gas silver
228 Posts
I will try greasing as well as adjusting. Thanks for the tips.
I use Boeshield T9 (bike component lube) on the rollers as it dries and stays in place for a long time. And definitely coat those gaskets with silicone spray or rub on some DOT5 brake fluid. The DOT5 also works well on our dark grey plastic trim panels.

· Registered
87 Posts
Ram doesn't seem to stand by their vehicles and customers in any practical way from this and the post about the Travado head problems on the other recent post (just out of warranty). It just isn't fair to consumers and makes me wonder if I should switch manufacturers on a new van.

These are good examples of why I have legal insurance. A couple letters or small claims court would get it all settled correctly, sad.

One thing to note, my sliders make terrible squeaking noise once the grease disappears from the little black pockets on the door frame and hook looking things on the door itself (maybe they are for door alignment). Cleaning and greasing all other parts and putting silicon on the gaskets is all important, but my issue is always those "alignment hooks" Just put some white lithium on those and try that first, it is sooo relieving. Then do the rest for good measure.

Good luck.

· Registered
87 Posts
I use Boeshield T9 (bike component lube) on the rollers as it dries and stays in place for a long time. And definitely coat those gaskets with silicone spray or rub on some DOT5 brake fluid. The DOT5 also works well on our dark grey plastic trim panels.

The comment about DOT5 is very surprising to me. Is this some different type or maybe synthetic brake fluid?

Brake fluid is very corrosive, I would not recommend that be used for anything but brake systems. It will spoil paint and plastics very easily. I have unfortunately learned that the too many times from leaky things. Just do an internet search, I think it's pretty commonly observed.

· Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
1,748 Posts
The comment about DOT5 is very surprising to me. Is this some different type or maybe synthetic brake fluid?

Is Dot 5 Brake Fluid Corrosive?
Dot 5 brake fluid contains silicon which prevents the fluid from being corrosive. It does not absorb moisture, nor does it damage painted surfaces. The brake fluid protects the system from weather elements. Dot 5 is the best option if you want brake fluid that resists rust better. Additionally, it will last longer than the other brake fluids.

· Registered
213 Posts
It’s been mentioned in general above, but here are more details about federal law as it applies to aftermarket parts and modifications. The burden is on the manufacturer to prove that a failure of a factory part was caused by a modification or aftermarket part - they can’t just assume it to be the case. They certainly can’t void the entire warranty just because the vehicle isn’t 100% stock!

21 - 40 of 55 Posts