Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2021 PM 159 HR - Los Angeles, CA
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sliding door is creaking especially when going over uneven surfaces (like entering a driveway). I took the van to the closest dealership (Los Angeles CDJR). They kept the van for 4 days and then the service rep calls me up and tells me they cannot diagnose the issue because I have added cheap aftermarket Amazon parts and I have voided the van warranty. To my absolute amazement, these parts he was referring to are the Amazon Sound deadening strips added to the floors and ceiling: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Sound-Deadener-14-5″-10-Piece/dp/B07XMF2V77. This explanation was so ridiculous that I didnt even bother discussing further. I opened a case with RamCares on this forum and the rep called me back. Their response is:
"
1. Dealerships are independently operated so we cannot control what they think has voided warranty
2. If you return the vehicle to stock i.e. remove stickers then we can recommend another dealer to you
"

Firstly, there is no way I am removing sound deadening from the entire van :) and there is no way the van is going back to stock either :). Even more concerning is the fact that RAM considers ANY modification to the vehicle as deviation from stock and warranty voided. This is really disappointing especially because thats literally this entire forum and every commercial van owner :). Not sure I even have any recourse here so wondering if other members here have had similar experiences and what action they took.

·
Registered
78 Posts
"Any" is painting with a broad brush.
Although this may be a true statement, I can't imagine not at least hearing of all the tradesman gathering in a class action for simply adding shelving and a bulkhead.

Is it possible there is sound deadener in {place anywhere here} = "place that causes the intended purpose of the vehicle to be altered in such a way which influences the integrity or safety of the vehicle? " Or which might prevent diagnostics?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Any" is painting with a broad brush.
Although this may be a true statement, I can't imagine not at least hearing of all the tradesman gathering in a class action for simply adding shelving and a bulkhead.

Is it possible there is sound deadener in {place anywhere here} = "place that causes the intended purpose of the vehicle to be altered in such a way which influences the integrity or safety of the vehicle? " Or which might prevent diagnostics?
Its sound deadener - its only in the ridges of the ceiling and floors and not on the door locking mechanism. I would imagine a large percentage of vans on this forum have installed it. To me it sounds like dealerships have so much business right now that they just dont care and its easy for them to just say "void warranty". The more disappointing part for me is that RAM says is it has no control over independent dealerships and no power as the manufacturer to do anything other than look up google maps and recommend dealerships.

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
1,216 Posts
I said that is pretty dumb but that is how it is with warranty term is written. Try taking it to another dealer if you worry about warranty issue and just cover it will cheap carpet or floor mat and cover the ceiling with free cardboard from Ikea.

But I have to said, I still havn't found a Ram dealership that is honest or good to work in the OC/IE area.

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
1,735 Posts
They kept the van for 4 days and then the service rep calls me up and tells me they cannot diagnose the issue because I have added cheap aftermarket Amazon parts and I have voided the van warranty.
I don't know where I read it but I believe there are laws in place that state that modifications that don't affect the current problem cannot used as a reason to void warranties across the board.

·
Registered
603 Posts
A warranty is only as good as the service agency that will do the work (spelled out by contract). So the good news is that you really aren't missing out on much. Even if they agreed to work on it under warranty, your outcome isn't guaranteed at all. I'd find an independent repair place you can trust, or else check it out yourself (if you are handy).

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
1,735 Posts
more concerning is the fact that RAM considers ANY modification to the vehicle as deviation from stock and warranty voided
I can't believe that this is official RAM policy. I think it is an individual dealer trying to avoid warranty service.
@RamCares should be able to clarify RAM corporate policy on this.

@RamCares can you look into this for us and let us know please.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I can't believe that this is official RAM policy. I think it is an individual dealer trying to avoid warranty service.

it looks like they already did speak to them, from the OP

I opened a case with RamCares on this forum and the rep called me back. Their response is:
"
1. Dealerships are independently operated so we cannot control what they think has voided warranty
2. If you return the vehicle to stock i.e. remove stickers then we can recommend another dealer to you”

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

The wording I got was from the case manager that RamCares assigned me. I suspect @RamCares will not openly make that written blanket statement on a forum but the case manager was very clear with me on the phone for this. He kept asking me to return the vehicle to stock if I wanted any warranty repairs on it.

Its also very concerning that the manufacturer can just excuse themselves from all responsibility saying dealerships operate independently and we have not control or power to ask to warranty anything. What's their responsibility as a manufacturer then?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I said that is pretty dumb but that is how it is with warranty term is written. Try taking it to another dealer if you worry about warranty issue and just cover it will cheap carpet or floor mat and cover the ceiling with free cardboard from Ikea.

But I have to said, I still havn't found a Ram dealership that is honest or good to work in the OC/IE area.
Its quite a drive to the dealerships and most of them these days want you to drop off the vehicle for a few days before they even look at it. Which means make a 1 hour drive there, have someone pick you up and bring you back and then repeat that process when they call you and tell you they cannot repair anything. And did this three times :). At this point I might as well try to fix myself or find an independent repair shop.

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
2,065 Posts
As to your original issue of creaking door - when is the last time you greased the latches? Mine creaks when the grease dries up or gets pushed out of the way by repeated opening/closing and rubbing (or re-smearing) a tiny dab of lithium grease on the latches stops it. Also, using silicone spray on all the door gaskets every few months helps reduce squeaks and odd sounds from them. If you've already done this then maybe a door adjustment would help, which is not difficult to do yourself.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As to your original issue of creaking door - when is the last time you greased the latches? Mine creaks when the grease dries up or gets pushed out of the way by repeated opening/closing and rubbing (or re-smearing) a tiny dab of lithium grease on the latches stops it. Also, using silicone spray on all the door gaskets every few months helps reduce squeaks and odd sounds from them. If you've already done this then maybe a door adjustment would help, which is not difficult to do yourself.
I will try greasing as well as adjusting. Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
2016 136 HT Gasser
439 Posts
When it comes to Stellantis, don't forget the absence of moral fiber of the people who run the house. The rot starts at the top.

·
Registered
2017 PM2500, 159"WB
309 Posts
I had multiple warranty repairs at a dealership in Ann Arbor, MI on my van after I spray foamed the inside. I did not spray foam into any tight cavities or anywhere that could interfere with wire runs/door mechanicals/etc. I have since also had my oil cooler replaced under warranty with the van build finished (mostly...). I think this really depends on the dealership and I would just try another.

But that said, under my warranty I had to pay a 100$ deductible each time, and those were for more clear-cut issues (backup camera stopped working, coolant fan failure, oil cooler) for something like a creaking door do you know exactly what the issue is or are you still trying to figure that part out? Cause it might be worth having an independent shop diagnose it for you, and see how involved a "fix" actually is. Once you know the exact problem, you may decide either you can fix it, the shop can, or take your proper diagnosis to another dealer.

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
1,216 Posts
@jbourne48, are you using third party extend warranty or this is normal for Ram warranty? I never hear of $100 deductible before. thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had multiple warranty repairs at a dealership in Ann Arbor, MI on my van after I spray foamed the inside. I did not spray foam into any tight cavities or anywhere that could interfere with wire runs/door mechanicals/etc. I have since also had my oil cooler replaced under warranty with the van build finished (mostly...). I think this really depends on the dealership and I would just try another.

But that said, under my warranty I had to pay a 100$ deductible each time, and those were for more clear-cut issues (backup camera stopped working, coolant fan failure, oil cooler) for something like a creaking door do you know exactly what the issue is or are you still trying to figure that part out? Cause it might be worth having an independent shop diagnose it for you, and see how involved a "fix" actually is. Once you know the exact problem, you may decide either you can fix it, the shop can, or take your proper diagnosis to another dealer.
Good to know that some dealerships will look at a built out van. Im going to try the tips that h1k3rb suggested and then take it to an independent shop.

Its not just the door though, the dealership will not look at any thing (might be an LA thing :)). My power mirror stopped working and they noticed that I had installed a Mopar Trailer Harness so immediately work was stopped and I was told I had voided warranty on any electrical work since I had installed the hitch. It didnt matter that the hitch and harness were OEM Mopar parts and that the harness has nothing to do with the power mirror. Or that the harness was there for 1 year before the mirror stopped working. This I really do have no recourse and will actually return to stock and take to another dealership since I need the folding mirror for street parking. Ive tested all the relays and fuses and cannot for the life of me figure out what could be causing it. Anyone know what "module" controls the power mirror? Might be easier to just order the Mopar module and check if that fixes it.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts