Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for the best bang for the buck winter tire. What options do we have for winter tires? What size winter tire is recommended for the ProMaster?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Looking for the best bang for the buck winter tire. What options do we have for winter tires? What size winter tire is recommended for the ProMaster?
IF you are going to ONLY drive on snow and ice, and not a lot of bare pavement... THIS tire is just absolutely awesome, and comes in the right sizes...

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/DISCOVERER-M-S.aspx?tab=2

Yes, you can get a true E load rating with a snow (soft) compound, extremely siped tire. I have used them in the snow and ice and they are absolutely awesome.

They wear extremely fast, however, on dry pavement...especially warm and dry pavement. They rival the best snows I've ever had the chance to drive on. They enabled my nose-heavy 2wd diesel pickup to just bust right through 12-16 inches of snow, stop well, and corner well.

And, they grip cold wet pavement and don't hydroplane badly, either.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IF you are going to ONLY drive on snow and ice, and not a lot of bare pavement... THIS tire is just absolutely awesome, and comes in the right sizes...

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/DISCOVERER-M-S.aspx?tab=2

Yes, you can get a true E load rating with a snow (soft) compound, extremely siped tire. I have used them in the snow and ice and they are absolutely awesome.

They wear extremely fast, however, on dry pavement...especially warm and dry pavement. They rival the best snows I've ever had the chance to drive on. They enabled my nose-heavy 2wd diesel pickup to just bust right through 12-16 inches of snow, stop well, and corner well.

And, they grip cold wet pavement and don't hydroplane badly, either.

Very nice! I guess you might be getting them? Have you checked how much they sell for?

·
Registered
123 Posts
LT245/75R16 120\116Q
E BLK 6.5 - 8 7 9.6 30.43 7.44 3042 17
On that Cooper tire list link above.

120\116Q being the Cooper Tire model number

·
Super Moderator
6,629 Posts
LT245/75R16 120\116Q
E BLK 6.5 - 8 7 9.6 30.43 7.44 3042 17
On that Cooper tire list link above.

120\116Q being the Cooper Tire model number
I have Vanco LT225/75R16 M+S's on mine from the factory. Is the 245 size a typing error or do you actually have them as OEM tires?

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
I have Vanco LT225/75R16 M+S's on mine from the factory. Is the 245 size a typing error or do you actually have them as OEM tires?
245 75 16's sound great to raise the height for rough roads.

I will most likely get this size or similar taller tires when I travel through Mexico next year. Just need to make sure they don't rub.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Just about any vehicle will drive better on snow and ice with winter specific tires.

I've had good luck with Bridgestone Blizzaks on two vehicles. My PM is now the third.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Blizzak+W965&partnum=275R6BZW965&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Not too many 226/75 16's available with a "c" (euro) weight rating if you really want that full carrying capacity.

Nokian does have some:

http://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-wr-c-cargo/
I really wanted these but couldn't get them locally. Mail order + mounting/balancing somewhere was going to add up $$$ too much.

Look for the mountain/snowflake symbol for tires designed for winter driving.

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=125

I'm hoping for an awesome winter for skiing, and for testing my new snow tires

·
Registered
601 Posts
Why are you concerned with a C euro rating? Just look for tires with Load Range E
Didn't say I was. The Blizzaks I purchased are E rated. Plenty for my use.

The OEM Vancos are "c" euro rated. Load index 120/121, 121=3276 lbs.

E rated tires equal Load Index 112/115, 115= 2721 lbs.

Quite a bit of difference if you're trying to haul weight.

Some people may want to stay with the same load rating as the PM came with? If they are carrying or towing and want to keep the max capacity the PM is capable of they may not want to limit themselves to an E rated tire?

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Didn't say I was. The Blizzaks I purchased are E rated. Plenty for my use.

The OEM Vancos are "c" euro rated. Load index 120/121, 121=3276 lbs.

E rated tires equal Load Index 112/115, 115= 2721 lbs.

Quite a bit of difference if you're trying to haul weight.

Some people may want to stay with the same load rating as the PM came with? If they are carrying or towing and want to keep the max capacity the PM is capable of they may not want to limit themselves to an E rated tire?
I'm saying don't look for a c euro rated tire because there aren't many options. Look for Load Range E then check the Max Single Load as it depends on the specific tire. There are E rated tires with max load over 3276 lbs.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I'm unaware of any E rated tires in the stock 225/75-16 size. Which ones are you referring to?

There are plenty available.

Check tirerack.com as an example. Both regular, all-terrain and winter in several brands. Filter by size then load rating... 30 different tires available.

·
Registered
513 Posts
There are plenty available.

Check tirerack.com as an example. Both regular, all-terrain and winter in several brands. Filter by size then load rating... 30 different tires available.
Sorry,, I should have been more specific. I meant an E rated tire in the OEM size with a load limit of 120, like the OEM tires. There are some 245/75-16 tires that are rated that high, but nothing in the OEM size

·
Registered
601 Posts
Sorry,, I should have been more specific. I meant an E rated tire in the OEM size with a load limit of 120, like the OEM tires. There are some 245/75-16 tires that are rated that high, but nothing in the OEM size
Have to agree with you on that. 120/121 is pretty high for an e rated tire. Especially a winter tire which is what this treads about...

1 - 20 of 129 Posts
About this Discussion
128 Replies
49 Participants
codylan
Ram Promaster Forum
We’re a community forum dedicated to Promaster enthusiasts to discuss mods, camper conversions, diesel, fuel economy, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing