Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another engine failure on my 2014 Ram ProMaster. The Tick mentioned in the other thread, which is rocker arms and tappets, have failed for fourth time. This most recent time, they failed in 60,000 miles , with me changing the oil every 5000 miles. The dealership I primarily service my van at, has a service contract with the Dallas Police Department for their Dodge police cars with the same 3.6 Gas engine. Their engine Tech told me that he has done over 500 Replacements of tappets and rocker arms on those vehicles. And they replace them routinely every 30000 miles on Dallas police cars. He also told me there's nothing I can do to prevent these rocker arms from failing.

My first set of rocker arms failed at 135000 Miles, but that's no indication when anybody else's will fail.

The van has 397000 miles on it now and I have spent $12,000 just for repairs, Which is less than the actual cost because Chrysler has paid several thousand dollars for repairs on this vehicle.

I've replaced three radiators, all the cooling hoses, the transmission flexplate, the transmission, lower control arms, the bushings, the tie rods, the rack and pinion, the harmonic balancer, both cylinder heads, the water pump. In three and a half years of ownership the van has been in the shop for repairs almost 3 months. Ram repeatedly denied my request to buy this vehicle back.

And the cooling system still leaks. In fact, the 2019 ProMaster that I just rented from Hertz, which only had fifteen thousand miles on it, also has the same cooling system leak.

As a small business owner, this van has been an absolute financial disaster for me. I'm only making this post so that other small business owners will not fall into this trap.

By comparison, one of my Sprinter vans I ran up to 371000 Miles and only had to replace an alternator and a battery.

I've spoken with several Transit owners who also are in the delivery industry, that have over 275,000 miles on their Vans, and they report almost no issues.

For those of us where vans are primary the work tool, the Ford vs. Mercedes vs Ram flag waving b.s. that I hear is completely worthless waste of time and air. The bottom line is can the truck do the work. This truck for me has failed miserably.

·
Premium Member
7,185 Posts
It seems to be a YMMV thing as there are plenty of high mileage units on here with essentially no failures just “normal” repairs for wear. I respect your experience but it is not a representative one and others have much worse experiences with Transits and/or Sprinters. The exception is often the one that gets written up. I think yours is that. Sorry for your bad experience.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts