Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Found a couple videos that will demonstrate the loading and cargo capabilities of the Promaster.

P.S the videos may look similar but they give two different perspectives. One is an outside view of loading, one is an in van view of loading.

·
Registered
110 Posts
There is a lot of space in there. The guy can stand up completely. Makes loading and unloading the Promaster seem pretty easy. It would be nice to see a comparable video with a RWD van to see the difference in cargo/head space.

·
Registered
100 Posts
There is a lot of space in there. The guy can stand up completely. Makes loading and unloading the Promaster seem pretty easy. It would be nice to see a comparable video with a RWD van to see the difference in cargo/head space.
Yeah I believe it has a 9 foot roof which is amazing, helps the promaster be an even better cargo vehicle..

·
Registered
363 Posts
It would have been better if they completely filled up the cargo area and showed us what the weight of it all was like, then show it taking off. at least then it will let a lot of know what to expect of it. rather than just seeing one skit loaded with a small quantity of product.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Inside ceiling height is 76" (6'4"), Overall height is 101" (8'5") unloaded.
Lots of room that is low to ground, So I can see this van handling very
good with weight in it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
good with weight in it.

And . . .

The clearance height at my local Burger King Drive-thru is 8'6"

I'll have a whole inch to spare ! :D

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
And . . .

The clearance height at my local Burger King Drive-thru is 8'6"

I'll have a whole inch to spare ! :D

The 9-foot figure often mentioned probably came from the Winnebago Travato specs which lists the height at 9 feet. But that includes a roof air conditioner.

I've seen both 100 and 101 inches for overall height on RAM specs. Don't know why unless some models are slightly taller. Also, European specs often show the height at 99 inches (8'-3"). That's probably due to suspension differences and that some Ducato models use 15-inch wheels and tires.

In my area most drive-thrus have 9-ft clearance (or more) so taller ProMaster should pass easily unless hauling a roof load.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
good with weight in it.
I expect the ProMaster is inherently more stable than vans we are used to. With a load floor height of around 21 inches, it makes it as much as 10 inches lower than a Ford E-250. And just as important but rarely mentioned, the ProMaster's rear track width is much wider than Ford's -- reportedly 70.5 versus 66.6 inches based on specs. That's practically 4 inches wider.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I expect the ProMaster is inherently more stable than vans we are used to. With a load floor height of around 21 inches, it makes it as much as 10 inches lower than a Ford E-250. And just as important but rarely mentioned, the ProMaster's rear track width is much wider than Ford's -- reportedly 70.5 versus 66.6 inches based on specs. That's practically 4 inches wider.
On the downside it's FWD unlike those Ford E-250 vans. I bet having it RWD to push the weight is better than FWD where all the weight has to be pulled.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
On the downside it's FWD unlike those Ford E-250 vans. I bet having it RWD to push the weight is better than FWD where all the weight has to be pulled.
RWD may be better for traction when fully loaded, but as long as traction is not loss then FWD is normally more "stable".

When nearly empty ProMaster will have greater percentage of weight on drive wheels. Hence also better traction. When both vans are at 50:50 weight distribution FWD should perform better overall in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
The upside is it is fwd and that's my opinion,there is the weight of the engine and transmission. I remember when front wheel drive cars came out and in a
snow storm the rear wheel drive ones would get stuck before the fwd's.
If hauling heavy weight,move it to the front more in those rare conditions.

·
Registered
363 Posts
How I see it the pro's outweight the cons by far with a FWD system in a vehicle like this. When you look at it, FWD and even FWD with optional AWD is amazing

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How I see it the pro's outweight the cons by far with a FWD system in a vehicle like this. When you look at it, FWD and even FWD with optional AWD is amazing
optional AWD, I'm pretty sure RAM has come out and said Promaster will not be offered with AWD, ever...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well they are loosing out than it would be nice to have the PM in AWD as an option. I could see for some it will be the deal breaker not being offered in awd.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
8 Participants
Vladamir
Ram Promaster Forum
We’re a community forum dedicated to Promaster enthusiasts to discuss mods, camper conversions, diesel, fuel economy, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing