Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit perplexed as to why Chyrsler/Fiat went this route. Vans are generally RWD because it is better for towing and carrying heavier loads.

Are there any advantages to a van being FWD?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Nothing wrong with it being FWD. Would probably help in the winter months.

Most utlity vans are RWD because they are based on truck platforms that are RWD.

There is no specific reason that a van should be RWD.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The Fiat Ducato was FWD so it should come as no surprise that its predecessor is one too. FWD should provide more grip compared to the RWD compatriots. And the Ram Promaster should have more than enough power for its purposes. I doubt towing would be a main function. The Promaster will serve more for courier/transporter purposes.

·
Registered
100 Posts
FWD is the way to go with a commercial vehicle like the Ram ProMaster, it allows for easy loading and unloading since there's not much going on in the rear end, so the floor can be set lower. Plus many other reasons.

·
Registered
386 Posts
RWD would be better if you are loading TONS of weight in the back but the truth is for a cargo van that rarely happens. If you were towing it might be a concern but even still you would have to be towing heavy heavy loads to worry about the front losing traction.

But the advantages are far better - safer in the snow and rain
Cheaper to maintain - easier to fix

·
Registered
386 Posts
None of this class that I know of.

The ProMaster is a first. Not that it is a bad thing. I honestly don't think FWD in a cargo van is bad.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are some passenger FWD vans but I think the Ducato/Promaster might be the only pro use van of this type.

·
Registered
65 Posts
From what I read, when properly and fully loaded, it will have a 50/50 weight distribution. What that means is that when NOT fully loaded (especially when nearly empty or empty) will have MUCH more weight on the front drive tires. This is what made many of the FWD vehicles quite good in the traction department. It should be much easier to get into and out of bad traction situations when unloaded than any RWD van.

·
Registered
363 Posts
From what I read, when properly and fully loaded, it will have a 50/50 weight distribution. What that means is that when NOT fully loaded (especially when nearly empty or empty) will have MUCH more weight on the front drive tires. This is what made many of the FWD vehicles quite good in the traction department. It should be much easier to get into and out of bad traction situations when unloaded than any RWD van.
great explanation, any who has driven a FWD vehicle, which is a lot of people, should have a good idea of what to expect when it comes to traction

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
carryon
Ram Promaster Forum
We’re a community forum dedicated to Promaster enthusiasts to discuss mods, camper conversions, diesel, fuel economy, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing