Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Looking for information regarding the locking differential found these http://usedcars.autocheck.com/cars/used-for-sale-Ram.ProMaster/ for sale.

Noticed some have a locking differential others have a limited slip differential.

Would be interested in any information regarding how the locking differential works.
Nobody knows what kind it is yet.

There are lockers, like I installed in my 4x4 that work automatically, there's lockers that are engaged and disengaged electrically or pneumatically, and then there could be other types, or even things that aren't lockers, called "lockers". Until Chrysler opens up and tells us what's installed, nobody knows.

I see they're all Pentastar powered. Where's the diesels? That's the ONLY option I'm interested in.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
386 Posts
brake lock diffs do work but I still prefer mechanical differentials.

I guess its better than an open diff.

I just feel like applying brakes to the spinning wheel is only a bandaid for a bigger problem.

·
Registered
65 Posts
brake lock diffs do work but I still prefer mechanical differentials.

I guess its better than an open diff.

I just feel like applying brakes to the spinning wheel is only a bandaid for a bigger problem.
Not really. When you don't need them, lockers, posi diffs, etc, create handling and driving problems you don't need. They add weight, cost, and complexity, and an open diff is best when you don't need anything else.

The traction control uses the ABS system, and thus, costs almost nothing. It also adds no complexity or additional components. So, it's a great compromise for a vehicle not designed for off-road or other extreme conditions.

On a vehicle like a Jeep, however, it IS a bandaid used in place of properly equipping an off-road rig.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts