Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My name is Brian and I work for Paul Sherry Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram in Piqua, Ohio. Paul Sherry used to have a Chevrolet store back in the 70's & 80's that sold conversion vans (one of the biggest, if not THE biggest in the country), but sometime in the 90's, the van market kind of fell off. From there he moved into the RV market and began focusing on that.

Today, Paul's grandsons Jim and Mike, run the RV and now a Chrysler dealerships, and we are just getting back into conversion vans!! We have the RAM ProMaster Chassis and have been working with an up-fitter to convert it. So far, we seem to be the only company producing ProMaster vans like this.

I wanted to stop in and share this new van with everyone and see if anyone has any ideas, input, criticism, any feedback really...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcfIaZU1aBY

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Very nice. I'd like to know the exact procedure used for painting the front "bumpers" and side "rub rails" so nicely. I've seen one other conversion PM done like that and think it makes the PM look less like a stormtrooper with a weight problem.

Kip-on-Truckin'

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bump. Sorry that you got moderated.
No worries...

Very nice. I'd like to know the exact procedure used for painting the front "bumpers" and side "rub rails" so nicely. I've seen one other conversion PM done like that and think it makes the PM look less like a stormtrooper with a weight problem.

Stormtrooper with a weight problem...That's funny.

The process for painting those body components are no different than painting any other plastic part. Sand and spray.

Do you by change remember where else you say a ProMaster conversion van?

·
Premium Member
855 Posts

Kip-on-Truckin'
They are an upfitter so I'm sure they receive the bumpers and sides unpainted. We, unfortunately have to deal with the rough textured plastic

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are an upfitter so I'm sure they receive the bumpers and sides unpainted. We, unfortunately have to deal with the rough textured plastic
You are correct. We receive the ProMasters with the trim unpainted. Just sand and spray. Any competent body shop in your area should be able to help you out.

http://www.safaricondo.com/en/

Safari Condo is making a Promaster conversion. Very Nice.

And http://www.sportsmobile.com/

Also Winnebago - they have the Travato and the Trend.

Rumors are that some european companies may export their Ducato conversions to the us.

I've seen those and I haven't heard great things about the Travato's build quality...Which is strange for Winnebago.

I would be interested to see how the European companies plan on marketing their vans here in the States.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brian, thanks for participating in the forum. Could you please tell us if the 2015 Promaster includes the facelift the rest of the world has for 2015?
No problem! I'm glad to be here!

I actually spoke with my boss about this earlier today....As far as we have been able to tell, the ProMaster will not have the facelift for MY2015.

Makes sense really...The Citroen Relay/Peugeot Boxer/Fiat Ducato have been for sale for years in Europe, but only for a single year in the US.

The soonest I would expect to see the refresh would be during some kind of mid-year update....I can't even find any literature online about RAM updating the PM.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had a 94 Ram van from Paul Sherry. I thought it was done well. I bought it from a dealer here in SoCal. It had zero rust so it must have lived here most of it's life. My suggestion is for you to build a camper van.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a 94 Ram van from Paul Sherry. I thought it was done well. I bought it from a dealer here in SoCal. It had zero rust so it must have lived here most of it's life. My suggestion is for you to build a camper van.
Back in the day, Paul Sherry Vans were seen all over the US. Hopefully we can do it again. :)

We've been tossing around the idea of a stripped down "weekender" camper van. It may be something that we do in the future!

·
Registered
549 Posts
We've been tossing around the idea of a stripped down "weekender" camper van. It may be something that we do in the future!
I'd like to see something basic, with two fold down bunks and room to carry at least two motorcycles. If I'm at a campground I'll have access to showers and bathrooms. I just want a way to sleep in it, and carry a couple of bikes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd like to see something basic, with two fold down bunks and room to carry at least two motorcycles. If I'm at a campground I'll have access to showers and bathrooms. I just want a way to sleep in it, and carry a couple of bikes.
That is pretty much what we were thinking of. We found it amazing how many people want something just like this. :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
hi Brian,

I think your van conversion looks awesome, both inside and out. The full body-color treatment is exactly what it needs (All the matte-black plastic of the stock van is a turn-off to me)!

I have an idea for an appearance improvement: I think the center rail for the side sliding door(s) would look great if it were anodized black, especially next to the dark-tinted windows you use.

Have you considered this? There are a number of anodizing companies out there, and I assume you could get a better rate by doing batches of them, versus an individual van owner doing only one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hi Brian,

I think your van conversion looks awesome, both inside and out. The full body-color treatment is exactly what it needs (All the matte-black plastic of the stock van is a turn-off to me)!

I have an idea for an appearance improvement: I think the center rail for the side sliding door(s) would look great if it were anodized black, especially next to the dark-tinted windows you use.

Have you considered this? There are a number of anodizing companies out there, and I assume you could get a better rate by doing batches of them, versus an individual van owner doing only one.
Chris,

We've tossed this idea around a bit. A few of us around the office do not like the exposed rail on the side of the van. We may look into some kind treatment for this.

Also, I am not sure what material the rail is made from. I imagine it's made from stainless steel to keep it from oxidizing. And unfortunately, stainless steel cannot be anodized.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Brian, It's neat to hear you've considered some kind of treatment for this rail. Let us know if you pursue it further. In my opinion, it looks pretty bad in "bare metal," especially on a dark-colored and/or window-equipped van.

Arch, I believe anodizing is only for aluminum. Based on a visual inspection only, I thought that the rail was a piece of extruded (and later bent) aluminium. Assuming I'm wrong and it's stainless steel, I found (through Googling) a few places that offer to put a black-oxide coating on stainless steel. I'm not sure whether that would be suitable for this application. Maybe some other treatment like "black chrome" would make sense.

I assumed Fiat/RAM didn't color the rail black solely for cost reasons. Maybe there are some technical challenges also.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts