Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I came across this video on youtube. This company makes a modular kit to turn your PMC into a camper. Its kind of pricey at about 5k for the full kit. I feel I could build something similar for a lot less money, but for somebody without the skills or the time and who is willing to shell out 5k, this could be an interesting option. I do like the panel kit.

The youtube video does not do a good job showing all the features. There are some other videos at the company's web site that shows the installation and how to turn it into a bed.

https://wayfarervans.com/camper-van-conversion-kits/#1449546827922-a79a358e-0520

Sorry if someone has posted this already.

Scott

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just Ordered!

I just ordered my full Wayfarer Van's kit... should be ready by end of March (2017). Will update after the install. For anybody that has done so already, does it help regulate the temperature more? Did you (our are your planning to) install a power ceiling vent?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've placed my order...should install by the end of March (2017). Will update progress then. For those that have installed at least the side panels:
1) Did you do any kind of insulation first?
2) Any experiences on how effective the panels are in keeping the van warmer or cooler?
3) Have you, or are you planning to, install any kind of power roof vent?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've placed my order...should install by the end of March (2017). Will update progress then. For those that have installed at least the side panels:
1) Did you do any kind of insulation first?
2) Any experiences on how effective the panels are in keeping the van warmer or cooler?
3) Have you, or are you planning to, install any kind of power roof vent?
I'm not really understanding how one could use insulation with this prefab kit. The fabric interior panels are mounted with magnets directly to the van body. So your insulation would need to be metallic? If you need an insulated van I would probably not go this route.

·
Registered
58 Posts
meh...

I considered this. But the price tag seems a bit high. I'm also not really enthused about the grey panels with exposed metal (magnet?) look (seems very bland to me). The design of the table is something I love and even created my own DIY version... so I approve of that much. Ultimately I'd prefer a DIY solution over a pre-fab package like this. I also sleep in a hammock to save on space (and a sore back) so the idea of dropping a bunch of heavy boxes in my PMC just doesn't really appeal to me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I certainly understand the concerns against buying a pre-fab kit. I'm guessing if that you are handy, you can probably put together something nice and for less money. For my purposes, I just didn't have the time, experience or motivation to build out a camper van. I purchased the kit from Wayfarervans.com. It installed in less than an hour and I was out making great use of it that same day. The kit weighs in at about 250 pounds. I had been getting an average of 27 mpg on the Interstate at 75mph... it seems that I've dropped about 1.0-1.5 mpg at that speed after the install. Happy camping....

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought a '16 Promaster City Tradesman and will be working with Ian at Wayfarer to get the full kit. I'm glad to find other people here that have done something similar. I'm excited!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts