1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
It was interesting to hear the little 2.4L was only getting a little over 8 MPG from the base of the climb, until I found other tests that were in the 3 to 4 MPG range.

It shows me that with proper gearing a 2.4L inline-4 could operate in a van that got around 20 MPG highway and not be maxed out. Whether it would have enough reserve power to accelerate or climb mountains in larger vans would be the real issue.

In the video the City passed quite a few vehicles that were climbing much slower, so there is some room for added weight and still keep up with slower traffic.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was interesting to hear the little 2.4L was only getting a little over 8 MPG from the base of the climb, until I found other tests that were in the 3 to 4 MPG range.

It shows me that with proper gearing a 2.4L inline-4 could operate in a van that got around 20 MPG highway and not be maxed out. Whether it would have enough reserve power to accelerate or climb mountains in larger vans would be the real issue.

In the video the City passed quite a few vehicles that were climbing much slower, so there is some room for added weight and still keep up with slower traffic.
My personal opinion is that the rpmc did extremely good considering the small gas engine.I do wish we could get a small diesel option,now that would be awesome to say the least in hill climbing,and class leading mpg's that a small ford egoboost couldn't match.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts