Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a Ram Promaster forum but without being biased if you had to purchase a cargo van again. Which van would you purchase and why.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Absolutely a PM. Trying to ignore the 127,000 miles we have on our 2014 and contemplating the three choices, neither of the others comes close to our convenient form factor. Extra width and almost vertical walls allow transverse bed and much more space inside generally. FWD means superior handling and an extra 7” of interior height per overall height.

Mechanically, although we’ve had few problems, it’s comforting to know that parts, even engines, are relatively cheap. For example, according to Safelite, one windshield fits all PM's. There are 14 Transit windshields.

So H*ll Yeah, I’d buy another PM in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
373 Posts
It depends, I like the transit, so it depends on your needs, but my needs were driving in snow on twisty roads so I got the promaster for
1. front wheel drive
2. wider
3. lower center of gravity

·
Registered
433 Posts
If you're tall (6' and over) you will need the extra tall Transit to be able to stand erect inside. In my opinion the Promaster is the best option for maximizing interior space (esp. width) while being the shortest in exterior height. Front wheel drive is a must in the snow belt, not to mention the excellent turning circle. The only thing I like better about the Transit is the driver's cockpit seems a lot more refined and car like.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I picked the promaster for all the reasons already stated.
I'm about average height/weight and feel like if I was any taller, driving it would be very difficult/uncomfortable. If I was any wider, I wouldn't be able to pass through the seats to get to the back.
But, I'm not getting any taller and if my wife stops tying to kill me, I won't get any wider.
So I'm happy with it as both a camper and a light duty work vehicle.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Promaster has by far the best dimensions, perfect height and width. Also probably the best driving dynamics. Ford has better drivetrain. But at least you don't have to pull the rear axell to do a simple brake job on a PM. If I was doing it again I'd buy a Revel.

·
Registered
2017 159" 2500.
91 Posts
Transit was my #2, but would take another PM if this one was stolen today. The interior space is amazing and the FWD has served me well in situations I definitely shouldn't have put it in. The insane turning circle was great when I was stealth dwelling in the city.

·
Registered
690 Posts
One reason to get a transit over a PM is if you need rear seats and arent comfortable with the technical, safety, and insurance issues surrounding installing them yourself.

IMO, the FWD of the PM does not improve winter traction. A full camper buildout has nearly equal weight on the front and rear axles. My subjective experience from owing a ford e-series RWD van for 15 years and now the PM is that the FWD PM does not perform better in the snow than the ford did.

A good reason to choose the PM over the transit is the purchase price although make sure you are comparing apples to apples when comparing the two since the transit can be priced with options that arent available with a PM like the wagon (passenger van).

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
One other thing no one has mentioned: The PM has no interior engine cover to get in your way when you swing your legs inward to go into the back. Transit's engine cover definitely bumps knees, and could make swivel seats frustrating.

·
Registered
373 Posts
IMO, the FWD of the PM does not improve winter traction. A full camper buildout has nearly equal weight on the front and rear axles. My subjective experience from owing a ford e-series RWD van for 15 years and now the PM is that the FWD PM does not perform better in the snow than the ford did.
I had a RWD one ton van and feel like the promaster is better handling. Not just the FWD, but the lower floor lets me keep the weight lower in the chassis and it feels better even on dry roads.

I also like that I can fit this in my parking garage at work and the transit would not. As I said, Transit was my second choice and I really like it too. But the wider lower promaster just felt better to me. I know some people prefer rear wheel drive even in the snow. I would say it is an individual thing for sure.

·
Registered
549 Posts
There are reasons to go with both, it all depends on your needs.

The Promaster is a much better platform for DIY conversions. Wider interior, lower entry height, straighter walls, etc. all contribute to making it easier to build inside of it. The FWD is an advantage to some people, mostly those with a lighter conversion. The heavier your conversion is the greater the chance of having more weight over the non driven axle, which can make traction an issue at times. It's not about how much weight is over the driven axle that matters for traction, it's what percentage of the total weight is over the driven axle. Think about it.. A GMC 1 ton crew cab has more weight over the rear axle than a Honda Civic has over the front axle, yet the Honda is much better in the snow.

Not all Ram dealers can work on a Promaster, it has to be a Ram Commercial dealer. Almost every Ford dealer can work on a Transit. Check your area of travel and see how many of each there are within 100 miles.

If you're looking for the most space possible for full time living, going to an extended Transit costs $1250 more and you get 28 more inches of length. The Promaster charges $3150 for 14 inches. But the Transit has a much longer rear overhang which can be an issue on rough roads, or even sloped driveways.

The Transit's strengths are the 6'9" interior height, a larger list of options, more powerful available engine choices, and the higher tow rating. If you want a back seat, there are a versions with a second row up to a 5th row, with side curtain airbags.

Towing max on a Promaster is 5,000 and on a tall extended Transit closer to 7,000.

Promaster used to be less expensive than the Transit, but it depends how you configure. If you load up a Promaster 3500 Extended and a Transit 350 Extended with a single rear wheel, with all the standard features and options available on both vans for an apples to apples comparison the price is almost identical.

Either one is a good choice, it all depends on your needs and intended use.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Promaster is:
  • Slightly wider
  • Walls are slightly straighter
  • Floor is essentially the same height as a dodge mini van which is kind of handy sometimes.
The FWD is both a benefit and a limitation.

I wish all of the vans had taller openings and taller ceilings.

The Transit side door opening is pretty short.

Yes, I am talking about the tallest versions of all of them.

In flatter areas, the promaster's power is fine. In mountain areas, I would rather have the ford ecoboost. If you plan to tow anything there really isn't a question.

The 170 wheel base sprinter length is a nice feature, but it is narrow.

In both the promaster and transit ext length it is very useful but it does look like an after thought.

If you look at the ext tall versions of all of the brands, they ALL look like no one even considered the idea until far into the production cycle, so I just hold my nose when I look at vans - even though I like what they can do.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I know this is a Ram Promaster forum but without being biased if you had to purchase a cargo van again. Which van would you purchase and why.
And what do the Ford Transit folks say when you asked this question to them a link to your post would be nice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently traded my Transit for a new Promaster . Wish that I had kept the Transit for a number of reasons . The Ford Eco-boost gets much better gas mileage . The Dodge transmission is constantly shifting , it cant seem to make up it's mind what gear to be in . In the four years I owned the Ford I don't think that I ever heard it shift . The Transit ride is very plush while the Dodge rides like a "TRUCK" . Just my humble personal opinion .

1 - 20 of 43 Posts