Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Either I am reading this wrong of the Promaster beats the Mercedes Sprinter's cargo capacity by a mile. Well, by 159 cubic feet actually. The Ram Promaster's cargo capacity comes in at 530 cubic feet while the Sprinter trails at 371 cubic feet.

Now, there are Sprinters that come with a larger wheel base or higher roof that get more space, but those cost more and you have to go quite high up the trim levels to match the Promaster's cargo space. Considering the Merceds Sprinter is already much more expensive than the Promaster it seems to me the Ram has won this battle.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Comparing the largest models for the US market shows they are practically the same in total volume -- with Sprinter having a slight advantage.

However, the ProMaster does it in a vehicle that is just under 21-feet long versus the Sprinter being just over 24-ft long. And the ProMaster does so while being lower overall.

In my mind the ProMaster wins by virtue of being more efficient in packaging cargo space. It gets almost the same space as a Sprinter 3-feet longer by being wider and having side walls that are more vertical.

Depending on what one is hauling, they may prefer additional cargo length like the Sprinter provides, while others may focus on volume or width as being more imporatant.

·
Registered
363 Posts
How I see it the Ram ProMaster is the best bang-for-your-buck commercial cargo vehicle, the Sprinter on the other hand is a bit more up scale.
When it comes to sales, I won't be surprised to see that Sprinter sales decline while the ProMaster get's impressive numbers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That is a significant difference in space. If this is right there is no questions that majority would go for the promaster and the price makes it an even sweeter deal.

·
Registered
654 Posts
The genius of Marichionne and company is that the tooling for the PM/Ducato is already amortized out, they have been using this body style since 2007. Mercedes, Ford, GM will make less profit per unit if they expect to compete on price.

·
Registered
110 Posts
How I see it the Ram ProMaster is the best bang-for-your-buck commercial cargo vehicle, the Sprinter on the other hand is a bit more up scale.
When it comes to sales, I won't be surprised to see that Sprinter sales decline while the ProMaster get's impressive numbers.
I just don't see why you want to have your cargo van be more upscale. Its not like you are buying a luxury vehicle here. You'd think that the focus would be more on function than style.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Comparing the largest models for the US market shows they are practically the same in total volume -- with Sprinter having a slight advantage.

However, the ProMaster does it in a vehicle that is just under 21-feet long versus the Sprinter being just over 24-ft long. And the ProMaster does so while being lower overall.

In my mind the ProMaster wins by virtue of being more efficient in packaging cargo space. It gets almost the same space as a Sprinter 3-feet longer by being wider and having side walls that are more vertical.

Depending on what one is hauling, they may prefer additional cargo length like the Sprinter provides, while others may focus on volume or width as being more imporatant.
all it's all thanks to the fact that it is FWD and doesn't have a driveshaft running down the middle.

That allows the floor to be LOWER. You can get more space without having to make the car taller or longer! :cool:

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
all it's all thanks to the fact that it is FWD and doesn't have a driveshaft running down the middle.

That allows the floor to be LOWER. You can get more space without having to make the car taller or longer! :cool:
The largest US models are both around 6'-4" inside height. FWD makes PM lower to ground and also lower overall, but since interior height are equal, the PM has to have more cargo cross section to get near-same volume in much shorter van.

FWD does give PM slightly shorter cab over Sprinter which leaves longer cargo bed for same length van, but that's minimal. Width, particularly near top of van, is where PM holds huge advantage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
Chance
Ram Promaster Forum
We’re a community forum dedicated to Promaster enthusiasts to discuss mods, camper conversions, diesel, fuel economy, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing