Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone find anything or know of any 4x4 Ram 2500 ProMasters / Fiat Ducato's yet. Woohoo Sign me up if so.
There probably still to new for some one to try and make a 4x4 out of one, like they do with the Ford E-350's and the Chevy Express vans.:eek:
ram-promaster-van.jpg

pppppp.jpg

·
Premium Member
2018 159 High Roof gas, BC, Canada
1,404 Posts
I'm thinking with our transverse front wheel drive drivetrain, plus lack of a transmission and drivetrain tunnel down the middle of our vans (remember this is how we get our nice low floor compared to other vans), that this idea is far-fetched.

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,442 Posts
Not going to happened to the Promaster, it will eat into their profit margin.

It would be a one off product.

If you cobble some Dodge parts together it can be done.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
As much as I love 4WD (my first car was a '48 Willys), I've been permanently scarred by a terrible experience with aftermarket A/C. I doubt I could trust aftermarket 4WD enough to do serious 4-wheeling with it.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I'm thinking with our transverse front wheel drive drivetrain, plus lack of a transmission and drivetrain tunnel down the middle of our vans (remember this is how we get our nice low floor compared to other vans), that this idea is far-fetched.
I take it back. Looks like a company named Dangel pulled it off (or at least mocked it up) to work within the constraints of the PM/Ducato chassis.

Reactions: bahawton

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
That’s with the engine we have in our diesel van! I can’t tell if it’s the comfort-matic M-40 auto shifted transmission. There is some lost ground clearance.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was going to say I'm pretty sure Volkswagen uses a front wheel drive setup in their 4motion unlike a Subaru setup with a longitudinal trans with both a Integrated front diff and tail output.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice 4x4 Promaster videos finds

travelvanvan / RDinNHandAZ / SteveSS / phil / Sayn3ver

Nice videos finds. the read axel in the one vid looks week not very strong, to many angles in the back. I'll stick to my (front wheel drive) Less moving parts to brake.

Thanks guys
AvA

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
The 4WD and AWD discussion comes around every few months. I would only want it for low speed and bad terrain. The Poclain setup from France would be perfect but they only do fleet conversions.

http://www.poclain-vehicules.com/en/our-activities/4WD-Hybrid-Hydraulic.php

They used to have a video with the Renault version of the Ducato but they have since pulled it from Youtube.
Nearly none of my travels will need 4WD or AWD. The worse roads I could be on will be gravel roads and they should normally be fine with FWD. Where I think 4WD or AWD might save me would be when a gravel road gets subjected to a torrential downpour. It could turn into a mud road--maybe, I don't know. Does anyone travel through gravel roads a lot and can let me know?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've been on some roads where 4WD would have helped a lot and some that I walked up first and d coded that the van was a no-go. It would also make mr feel more confident about heading to the mountains in the middle of a major snowstorm (pow). I had no fear or hesitations going in my Jeep. If it's dumping snow and I wanted to go I would go. I'm not yet sure what the limits are of my Promaster.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Where I think 4WD or AWD might save me would be when a gravel road gets subjected to a torrential downpour. It could turn into a mud road--maybe, I don't know. Does anyone travel through gravel roads a lot and can let me know?
I didn't think I needed 4WD in my last vehicle but I ended up getting it "just in case one day I need it". Probably used it a few hundred times, if not more. Sold it a few years back and then inherited a Toyota 4Runner. I currently live a 1/2 mile from the road, and my driveway is loose gravel, some dirt, some hills, etc. It's doable in a rear wheel drive, and its doable in a front wheel drive, but it is oh so much easier on the vehicle and on the road when I am in 4WD. With just two wheel drive I find I tear the road up a lot more than I do in 4WD, and I have to plan ahead as to where I can slow down, where I have to speed up, where I have to make sure I don't stop or I'll have to back up. In 4WD its a non issue.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,072 Posts
Nearly none of my travels will need 4WD or AWD. The worse roads I could be on will be gravel roads and they should normally be fine with FWD. Where I think 4WD or AWD might save me would be when a gravel road gets subjected to a torrential downpour. It could turn into a mud road--maybe, I don't know. Does anyone travel through gravel roads a lot and can let me know?
Hi,

Used to do a lot of mountain climbing in the Cascades in Washington and the approaches are often over logging roads -- mostly ones that have been abandoned and not maintained for years. Did all this with 2 wheel drive. Sometimes had to stop before the end of the road and walk -- maybe AWD would have gotten us a little further, but not much.

Most of the people who really make good use of AWD on backroads are taking 4WD trails and doing it for the sport of driving very difficult roads -- not because they could not get somewhere without the 4WD. They just seek out and enjoy the experience of driving a really challenging road.

In about 50 years of driving backroads I've never been stranded by a road that has experienced a torrential rain. Closest I have come is driving a dirt/mud road in Montana after a thunderstorm made it very slick. The AWD drive we had was a convenience, but just parking and waiting an hour for the mud to firm up a bit would also have worked fine. If a road really gets wiped out by a torrential rain or flood, you are not going to get through it with 2WD or 4WD.

My 2cents would be that you don't need AWD unless you want to take up the sport of driving jeep trails.

AWD is really more of convenience if you do a lot of snow driving, but the PM with snowtires does pretty well with the FWD.

Gary

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had really wanted AWD or 4WD and was looking hard at Sprinter as a result. But I couldn't justify the $20k or more that it would have ended up costing me (because I got my promaster at 25% off of msrp). So I make do.

What I really wanted 4WD for was more for the way I imagined I'd be using my vehicle. It turns out the reality is quite a bit different. I have a small light dirtbike I use now to get out in no mans land. Every so often I come across jeeps out there. They're getting it done, but they're oh so very slow. It's not a fair comparison, comparing them to a weeny tiny dirtbike, but neither is it a fair comparison comparing our monstrous promasters to weeny tiny jeeps. Which is to say that the promaster in 4WD territory would be super slow.

As it stands now, I wouldn't want to take my monstrous promaster where 4WD is needed. It's just too big, and I've got too much stuff inside that rattles and shakes loose. But AWD or 4WD would be nice on treacherous icy and snowy PAVED roads. Anything other than that and I'd just rather park the beast and take the dirtbike. And for treacherous icy and snowy paved roads, solid snow tires work a wonder too. And saved me $20 grand or more.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I always have felt that ground clearance is more often the limitation than traction when it comes to rough roads. I had a Volkswagen bus once, and later a Vanagon, and either of those could go places that were pretty surprising because they had good clearance - also had the weight of the engine over the drive wheels, which helps with traction. AWD is great in the snow as a convenience, since you can go without chains, but chains on a front wheel drive will go when AWD without chains may not. On steep dirt roads, AWD or 4WD is the only way, but in the past I've rarely found a road that was steep enough so that I couldn't get traction with front wheel drive AND smooth enough so that clearance was not an issue. Steep and rough always seem to go together.

·
Super Moderator
10,478 Posts
Last month I drove my Promaster up the dirt, gravel and rock strew road to the Wildrose Charcoal Kilns at Death Valley. I had no problems at all but I was sure one of the many huge washouts and rocks in the road would blow a tire or two or swallow me whole. The Promaster performed fine and I (shockingly) never even bottomed out. It was without a doubt the worst road the Promaster has ever driven!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I drove plow trucks for nearly 20yrs so usually I was out in the worst of it, By far the most common vehicles I saw sitting in ditches were AWD and 4WD vehicles.

Most any place I would actually need AWD or 4WD I wouldnt be taking a ProMaster to begin with.

·
Super Moderator
10,478 Posts
I drove plow trucks for nearly 20yrs so usually I was out in the worst of it, By far the most common vehicles I saw sitting in ditches were AWD and 4WD vehicles.

Most any place I would actually need AWD or 4WD I wouldnt be taking a ProMaster to begin with.
So true!

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
when i was doing the original research on a van back in ~2008>2009 i was seriously looking at the Quigley 4x4 conversions on the Chevy/Ford full size vans, then it occurred to me that the campgrounds we were doing just fine in our stock Volvo xc70 AWD wagon up forestry roads to forestry camps...so why not research if there were some full size AWD vans? That is when i found and purchased our Van#1 (2010 Chevy Express AWD). It has been an amazing rig (up for sale now) and IMO, the only stock van on the american market that comes close to the safety in my wet/icy/snowy road conditions is the FWD PM < > which is why our Van#2 is a PM : )

I do not include the Sprinter in the possibilities as if it breaks down, the dealer network is less than ideal.

We've had 4x4's in the family for years, the only time the 4x4 was engaged was when we were back further than we should be on a trail, got stuck, used the extra drive axle to get un-stuck, and call it camp.

Thom

1 - 20 of 35 Posts