Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I took our new fleet vehicle out for a test drive! It's the 159" WB Promaster! Okay so here's my two cents:

This vehicle is a little odd to drive, and definitely reminds me of driving a class A vehicle with a CDL. The v6 Pentastar had plenty of power, and the brakes are amazing. Overall, I thought the interior was of good build quality, and it looked just like any other commercial vehicle that I have ever ridden or driven. If you have ever driven a class A commercial vehicle, you will feel right at home with how the steering wheel is tilted, and the high mount seat. One feature I really did appreciate was just like the Ford Transit Connect, the radio will stay on even after you turn the vehicle off and remove the key' No worries here with the battery draining, as there is an automatic shut-off on the radio. Now for cargo capacity! Wow!! You can literally put anything that will fit in a box truck into a Promaster. The cargo area is ginormous, and I did take measurements of the cargo area. My measurement finding were identical to Rams. The width between the wheel wells is the main reason why we wanted this vehicle, as it's just large enough for us to do deliveries w/o a box truck. My conclusion would be that this a great commercial vehicle, however, the cab might be a little tight for some taller individuals, and just know that it feels as if your driving a Class A vehicle (But in reality come on...the thing is huge so it's going to feel like this!!)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One extra note:

This is in regards to the keyless entry.

----I thought the keyless entry was well thought out. On the keyed remote that comes with the vehicle, you can choose to unlock just the cab, or just the cargo area. Anytime you press the lock button both the cab and cargo area lock.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Our company purchased a Ram Promaster 2500 159" WB w/ a v6 Pentastar

It's being up fitted as we speak, however, I think it will be Tuesday before the graphics and up fits are completed.

-----------
We will post our mpg finding ASAP next week. Shouldn't take long to calculate, as we generally use a full tank of fuel in just a couple of days.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's a pic of the cargo area...the photo cannot even begin to show in reality how large the cargo area really is!!

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Businessman, thank you for the photos. I just ordered mine today and am starting to search for all of the up fit parts. What is the material on the floor & who supplied it?

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The floor is the factory supplied wood floor. It has a thick laminate coating, and it feels like a synthetic floor. Pretty much at this point and time everything that you want to up fit will have to be custom. No one really has any up fits yet for the promaster. The exception might be like an hvac package tx. The floor we are having installed is diamond plate, as our fleet guy informed us that wood laminate floor will peel with heavy sharp objects. Now we did get an Adrian steel bulkhead, and a link mfg ramp. The ramp has small hydraulics and is very easy to get in and out. The bill for the ramp was about $1,100, and if you choose to do the tommy gate it's about $6k.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
By the way we are located in the Dallas area, and H & M Van is doing all of our up fitting. They were approved by our fleet dealer, and our up fit quote was significantly less with this up fitter. Don't be fooled though, as they do tons of commercial up fitting.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Thank you Businessman for the pics.
I ordered mine with partition with sliding window, but wont allow a wood floor.
I can have one or the other but not both.

So when I get mine, I will install a wood floor my self.

Its amazing how tall it is inside, but overall height is only 101"

·
Registered
386 Posts
thanks for your insight and the photos.

there seem to be many compliments on the power and brakes and the storage space

the only nick seems to be seating area could be tight for taller guys.

in the photo it does sort of show how high up the seat is.

you should get a photo of one of your tall friends sitting in the seat to show us how it looks. ":D

·
Registered
118 Posts
I did a test drive on Tuesday and I have to say the brakes (obviously brand new) are awesome! They're very touchy at first and I'm sure they'll wear in but they seem great.

As far as the cabin, I'm 5'8" and the space felt very comfortable for me. I didn't seem to mind or notice the non tilting steering wheel. This is a first for me of this vehicle type and I like the feeling of being over the wheels and close to the front. I'm counting down my 8-12 week build timeframe!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
?......cut.......

As far as the cabin, I'm 5'8" and the space felt very comfortable for me. I didn't seem to mind or notice the non tilting steering wheel.

.......cut........
Good to know since average male is closer to 5'-10" than 6'-4".

Also read recently that Italians often design driving position with driver's arms extended to greater degree than US autos. In time we may adapt somewhat to different position. It can't be that bad if millions buy these vans in Europe.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I could perhaps adapt to the straight arm driving, the legroom is another story.
When I saw the specs for the legroom of this vehicle I thought it must be a mistake, it is under 39 inches. The Fiat 500 has 40.7 inches of legroom! I could not find another subcompact vehicle with legroom less than the PM. Then I thought the elevated driving height would negate the lack of legroom, it does not.
I want to like the PM, I may go back & try another test fit, but am not hopeful.

·
Registered
363 Posts
with the back rest back a bit and the seat moved back enough (no gangster lean) to offer up as much leg room as you can get and need, i think there shouldn't be much of a problem with getting straight arm driving.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts