Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at 1 hour of trying to replace the headlight bulb because it will not slide back into the guide. Last week the other headlight bulb failed and a toyota mechanic happened to pull up next to me at walmart, and he gave it a try. He finally got it in after 20 minutes, but it is not seated properly, and I'll have to take it back out.

It is small headaches like this that can be very costly to my business.

My previous 3 Sprinter vans took two minutes to replace a headlight bulb.

There are other issues I have that, like this one, are poor design, and should have been corrected before these vans were released in the U.S.

As a small business owner, I expect a supplier to provide a product that doesn't waste my time or money.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Any problems with the 3 Sprinters? Why did you buy a ProMaster?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm still trying to get the driver side low beam bulb harness to seat properly back in the headlight assembly after three tries on three occasions. Here are the problems:

1. Page 355 of the owner manual says"rotate the bulb counterclockwise" to remove. This is incorrect. You push down on a release button on the top of the bulb harness to release the bulb.

2.There is no way to see inside the back of the headlight assembly so you can only feel around with your hand.

3. To reinstall the bulb harness after replacing the bulb, it has to slide in on the guide rails exactly the right way, and snap lock in place. For me, it snapped in place but did not seat properly on the headlight assembly, and was misaligned. As a result, the low beam was projecting higher than the passenger side low beam.

A simple task engineered to be a dang mess.

By the way, the upper marker lights in the headlight assembly can be changed in one minute with a simple counterclockwise turn.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On the question of why I sold my Sprinter to get a Promaster, let me first say that I never had any serious problem with any of my Sprinterincrease. They all blew glow plugs, but I live in Dallas TX so glow plugs are only necessary a few days a year.

I had about 700,000 total miles on all three vans, and replaced one battery, one alternator, one serpentine belt, and two hoses, along with tires and brakes.

I was very satisfied with the Sprinter.

But my Sprinters were 144wb, and I needed a longer load floor to be able to get more loads (I'm in the expedited delivery business).

Based on my cost of ownership estimates, the gas Promaster should cost less money to own than the Sprinter, assuming Chrysler's website claims of best in class fuel economy.

Chrysler 's fuel economy claims for the larger 2500 159 Promaster ARE FALSE. A V6 Chevy will get 18-20 mpg highway, but this 2500 159 will not. After 46000 miles, I'm averaging 16.8-17.2 with 99% highway driving and 1500-2000 lb payload. The fuel economy falls below 15 in crosswinds and headwinds on level highway.

On my Promaster the radiator has been replaced because it leaked, the front brake pads were replaced because the brakes squeal continuously and loudly (they still do), the rear suspension squeaks loudly, the telescoping steering wheel slides down if I push on it too much, the side visibility is dangerously restricted by the thick frame around the smokers window and A-pillar (I almost hit three pedestrians I could not see), I have to duck foward to see stoplights, the footrest is too wide so I constantly adjust my feet, the door armrest is too far from the driver seat so I have to lean sideways to rest on it.

I also switched from conventional to synthetic oil because the transmission downshifts frequently to 5th gear, causing the engine speed to increase by 1000 rpms.

My recommendation: Take a serious look at a 4 cylinder Sprinter and the new Ford Transit when the Transit comes out this summer.

As for me, I have to make the best of it with the Promaster. But I will not buy any more Chrysler products for business or personal use after this.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Based on my cost of ownership estimates, the gas Promaster should cost less money to own than the Sprinter, assuming Chrysler's website claims of best in class fuel economy.

Chrysler 's fuel economy claims for the larger 2500 159 Promaster ARE FALSE. A V6 Chevy will get 18-20 mpg highway, but this 2500 159 will not. After 46000 miles, I'm averaging 16.8-17.2 with 99% highway driving and 1500-2000 lb payload. The fuel economy falls below 15 in crosswinds and headwinds on level highway.
I have not seen any specific mpg claim of fuel economy that you speak of on Chrysler/RAM's sites.

Further, companies aren't even required to submit fuel economy results for commercial vans since they aren't averaged into CAFE results.

How did you come to the conclusion that the RAM would get that mpg?
Also are you using gas with ethanol? That could really knock down your mpg.

·
Registered
386 Posts
got any pics of the area where the bulb is mounted?

that seems strange for a bulb change to require so much effort

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
You can compare a 136 low roof to a v6 Chevy but a 159 high roof is way bigger
then the Chevy.
Sorry you do not like the Promaster.

·
Registered
247 Posts
On my Ducato I changed a bulb removing the headlight, because I was not able to insert the bulb in place. Last week I went to a Fiat dealer to change anoter bulb.
The guy changed the bulb in 2 minutes...
I asked how he did it, and he said: It's simple: you have just to remove the old bulb and install the new one...:D:D:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Headlight bulb replacement

After spending way too much time on the drivers side, I removed the two trim pieces on top and bottom of headlight assembly. With those off it reveals 3 - 10mm bolts. After removing the 3 bolts, the whole headlight assembly comes right out. Set it on the bench and replaced the bulb in 30 seconds. Forget trying to do it blind. That's both the right and left in 25K miles. Making my old Sprinter looking not so bad!

·
Registered
171 Posts
After spending way too much time on the drivers side, I removed the two trim pieces on top and bottom of headlight assembly. With those off it reveals 3 - 10mm bolts. After removing the 3 bolts, the whole headlight assembly comes right out. Set it on the bench and replaced the bulb in 30 seconds. Forget trying to do it blind. That's both the right and left in 25K miles. Making my old Sprinter looking not so bad!
Yes, many do that, easier if You don't do often (in the photo a motorhome).

The new Ducato version is even easier since it doesn't have the two masks.
They show it in Fiat Professional Youtube channel.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Now, I don't know if the Promaster uses the same light bulbs as the Ducato, but here they are:

·
Registered
258 Posts
How do you go about removing the 2 trim pieces at the top.and bottom of the assembly?
thanks
Remove visible screws and gently pry the plastic panel with a flat thin plastic tool. You could use a flat screw driver but you'll end up scratching the parts.

No translation needed. :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts