Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What parallels can be drawn from this article analyzing payoff of the Ram 1500 Diesel pickup?
http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2014/02/ram-1500-diesel-payoff-revisited

The ones I see:

• The diesel just doesn't pay for itself vs the V6, but has more limited load capacity.
  • The regional variation in cost of fuel
  • Statement that fuel economy drop off with greater loading is less than with a diesel
  • Power dropoff (& corresponding fuel economy) of a turbo engine is less than a n/a engine at altitude
  • They calculated 'oppurtunity cost' which weighs against the more expensive diesel

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'll go with the “The diesel pays for itself the first time you hit pedal and smile.” ;-)
I'm curious on what the actual fuel numbers will be on the 1500. I know from real world experience with full size gas v8's and small displacement diesels (2.7L), that the diesel wins hands down. Compare 13mpg to 25mpg...the fuel costs approaches half. Alright, not quite half now with winter fuel in circulation.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'll go with the “The diesel pays for itself the first time you hit pedal and smile.” ;-)
I'm curious on what the actual fuel numbers will be on the 1500. I know from real world experience with full size gas v8's and small displacement diesels (2.7L), that the diesel wins hands down. Compare 13mpg to 25mpg...the fuel costs approaches half. Alright, not quite half now with winter fuel in circulation.
Now that's the spirit :D

In a pick up truck it pays off even more once you add a fat exhaust :D

·
Registered
386 Posts
payoff really depends on how much you drive a year.. and what you are doing with it

you can't exactly say it doesnt pay off

because go look at the sales stats for the 1500 diesel.. they are off the chart.

·
Registered
473 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts