Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have the base radio, no nav, in our city.
Was going to upgrade to Apple CarPlay system using Pioneer or other
radio system. At the time there where not the adapters needed to make the various systems work, UConnect, dash etc.and the proper dash trim plates and adapters for the Promaster City.
Anyone know what is available now? Sources?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ok, i have a question here. I am going to install a pioneer avh-x1700s. Will I need a different wire harness than what came with the stereo? I don't have Bluetooth or steering wheel controls. Looks like my Sirius , rear camera, and usb will all hook up to the existing ports. Am I good to go? Also, do I need to hook up the parking break wire? What is that for?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Before I got my ProMaster, I found my smart-phone give me everything what I need.
I do listen to a music on an ears-plugs-phones. I can take any where my phone with me...
So I did not order a radio for PM. It is great option and got some -$$ credit to a price.
Instead of radio it comes with 2 pockets on a dash.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The parking brake wire is for the video. In most places, it's illegal to watch video while you drive, so the stereo will come with a wire to be hooked to the parking brake. When you engage the brake, the radio assumes you aren't driving, and will let you watch a video. There's a bypass out there if you google it. Or you can hook it up as it's meant to be. I don't know what happens if you never hook it up. I assume you just won't be able to watch a DVD.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You guys do know you're on the promaster CITY forum?

Ram Promaster Forum > Ram Promaster General Discussion > Ram ProMaster City Forum > Radio Upgrades

·
Registered
211 Posts
Does it matter when taking about radios?
I don't know,does it? Do our small city's run the same systems? My city has the uconnect with tom tom nav.Is that the same as what the full size run? And I have a 5" screen.Are all the electrics involved the same? I honestly don't know.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,508 Posts
I don't know,does it? Do our small city's run the same systems? My city has the uconnect with tom tom nav.Is that the same as what the full size run? And I have a 5" screen.Are all the electrics involved the same? I honestly don't know.
I looked at the Owners Manuals for the Uconnect 5.0 for both the PM and PMC. They look different to me - even the shape appears to be different, but the one that's supposed to be in the PM doesn't match what came with it anyway...

Ed

·
Registered
154 Posts
I wonder if there is a cheaper wiring harness out there. I don't see why this head unit needs a module. Its pretty basic compared to some of the others FCA puts in.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Installation question

I have decided on my new Apple Carplay unit I will buy. I have installed stereos in my cars...long time ago..pull it out,m hook up power and antenna and speaker wires.
Now with adapter harnesses, steering wheel controls...rear camera... its a bit more complicated.
I went in to the local radio guys and they seemed confused on what to get as far as adapters.
I have bought from Crutchfield before and their customer and tech support is GREAT!
They have sent me this list of what to get..
http://www.crutchfield.com/cart/default.aspx?nolp=true&emKey=1417643&emType=0

Anyone pull out their factory Promaster CITY factory radio yet and can let me know what to expect, particularly the removal procedure?
After that I am sure I can handle it.
I have the UConnect radio with backkup camera...no Nav.

Thanks,
ProHBob

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Keep all functions

How do I know I will retain all the needed functions of the original UConnect radio? It is how you set certain dash functions, door locks etc.
I don't really ever use the steering wheel volume or radio controls, so those are not as essential as backup camera etc.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Read the options on the Maestro site as it will tell you exactly what it does. You also have an option of purchasing a direct fit harness between the car and stereo which greatly minimizes wiring.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If the PMC has the Uconnect 5.0 then it will function the same as the regular PM. The Maestro is nice but it will not retain any of the UC5.0 functions like it does on UC8.4 or other UC systems 4.3,430,430N,730,etc (as told by the Maestro techs). I am going to contact them again and see if this has changed.

From the techs I talked to at FCA about my issue, flashing odometer and no clock control, this cant be fixed (unless the maestro can act as the 5.0). There is a specific wiring harness that is used in vehicles with a UC system that causes these issues. I asked about reprogramming my computer to delete the UC system but since this harness is in place I was told it cant be done.

Now, this could be a total crock of poo, but I cant seem to find the right person who knows. FCA seems to think there is only one way to do something - there way, but if you watch the recent episode of Fast n Loud (Gas Money Garage) these guys proved them wrong. They got the new hellcat motor into a vehicle, as a stand-alone motor, none of the fancy electrical systems. While FCA made it difficult some techs figured it out. They raced another team who had a hellcat motor but if you look in that car, they have the UC8.4, Chrysler steering wheel, etc just to get the motor to work.

So if you do the swap, you will most likely have a flashing odometer and lose the control of time on the cluster. But you could always mount the factory UC under a seat to solve this. All you need is a power and ground and the + and - CANBUS wires hooked to it and it should solve that problem.

Some other things to concider when hooking it up:
The AM/FM on your new radio will need a Fakra adapter:

Siruis/XM you will need the SXV300. If you have a blue Fakra adapter in your dash, you wont need the antenna, just the control module. The blue Fakra adapter housing need to be removed then it installs into the SXV300 module.
If you want to bypass the stupid parking brake thing for video, this is a cheap and easy solution for certain Pioneer units: MicroBypass ALL AVH-X-
You can also make one from a relay.

Hope this helps, if you can take a picture of your headunit and the wiring harness it will help to understand if it is the "same" as the Promaster Uconnect.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Scary

This has me worried I will lose certain functionality of the various displays.
I was going to order from Crutchfield and install, but it sounds like I need to go local and see if they will guarantee I will keep all functionality.

Some things are controlled by the radio that have nothing to do with
radio or GPS like the door locks etc.

Are any of those going to function with a new radio and adapters?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts