Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had absolutely beautiful weather this evening. Got busy cleaning the van as these opportunities don't come often in summer. After I was done I drove off to join my family for pizza. Found the volume controls on the Ucon5 radio no longer worked! I tried shutting it off. Turned it back on fine after 15 seconds, but volume control was stuck at a certain level and no way to change it. Joked about it at dinner and I got the usual Fix It Again Tony jokes. Figured I'd call the dealer about it in the morning. After dinner I drove home, worked just fine as usual!

I had to ask myself.......
Are these vans controlled by a canbus or a can't bus? ;) Danged sketchy Italian electronics!
This never happened before. It drove great as usual. Just dead volume controls for a while!

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,537 Posts
Canbus is the manufacturers way to lock down lots of really simple stuff that used to be simple to customize and modify (if canbus wasn't there!)

My pet canbus peeve? Radio is off - you get a phone call - you answer via your bluetooth connection - you finish the call - the radio comes on! (What ??? It wasn't on before you got the call!)

I don't think we're talking Italian electronics... The UConnect system is a Panasonic Automotive and FCA engineer collaboration.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's blue tooth? Being a old dinosaur, I don't touch my phone while driving. Good info. Thanks!

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
497 Posts
Had problem with my rear stereo speakers in my Suburban that took forever to trace.
I had a tweeter in one rear coaxial speaker that had come apart slightly. It would short itself on occasion and mess with the volume control.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,537 Posts
What's blue tooth? Being a old dinosaur, I don't touch my phone while driving. Good info. Thanks!
That's what bluetooth is! You don't need to touch your phone while driving (instead, you touch the van's radio >:D)
You're an old dinosaur when you look for the CD player in your brand new car... and it isn't there! So, you ask on a forum, how do I listen to my music.. someone says, "rip your music to a flash drive".. and you say, "WHAATT???"

I consider myself a new dinosaur. I get all the new technology, like CanBus, usb, Bluetooth, etc. I'd just prefer to do it the old fashioned way if they gave me a choice! :D

·
Registered
221 Posts
Got busy cleaning the van . . . radio no longer worked! . . . After dinner . . . worked just fine as usual!
Could you have gotten water on something, causing a short, but then drying out as you were having dinner?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Once!

It also happened to me.
Drove her for 20 mins. On the highway, no control of the volume.
Stop the van, shut her down, wait 2 or 3 minutes.
Start her up, no problems since.
Several dealers had no answers, said to bring it in while, the problem was occurring!
Great answer.
Another glitch no one had an answer for.
Windshield wipers on, signal a left hand turn, tap it back, right signal goes on, tap it back,
my odometer starts to flash. WTF!
Get it back home plug in my code scanner, 3 codes come up?
She's running fine?
Shut her down, clear the codes, start her up again, no flashing odometer, plug the scanner back in, no codes?
W T F !
Dealer had the same response, bring near in while the problem is occurring?
All in all thou, I still love her.
But as the saying goes, " Loving you is like, frying bacon, naked!"
Running fine with no codes, last 10000 miles.
Mike from Banff

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have noted several oddities with my radio.
- Nav screen goes blank ater stoppping at a rest stop. Will not come back to life until after the next rest stop.
- Sometimes get an error screen when turning the radio on when the van is off.
- Once or twice a day the radio decides it does not like my choice of radio station and changes to my usb music.

Of course the first one does not really matter anymore as I have bought a Garmin Nav unit

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Often I invent or adopt new names for things. Like WorstBuy, SprawlMart, CrApple, WindowsPain, AmateurMaster, ProSerf, etc. Now we need to begin to call that thing UnConnect5?

Reactions: keeponvaning
1 - 10 of 10 Posts