Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this has been covered, a quick forum search didn't result in what I want. I am looking at a 2014 gas cargo to buy. Are there any known issues with the display (and some other features) of the radio/camera display system on PM's? During a second test drive the display went black. It worked and then it didn't. Also, the radio station could not be changed but the volume knob worked and the on/off button worked. No other buttons worked (media, compass etc.). The carfax report showed that the van went in to have the "sound system checked" a couple years ago, very early in the van's life (less than 6000 miles). Seems very suspicious that the previous owner had a new van's sound system checked and now I see evidence that something is wrong with it. Any insight or advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,654 Posts
When the backup camera is triggered on by putting it in reverse (or leaving the back door ajar) the radio controls don't work. It's like the radio is too busy being a backup screen to act like a radio at the same time. IF you get the backup camera issue fixed, the radio may no longer have issues.... hopefully

Welcome,
ed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
display

The display screen will not tur on. There is nothing, it is dead, no radio information, no backup camera display. It is not being powered. The sound from the radio still works though. The on/off switch turns the radio on and off but the display remains dead.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Radio screen stays off

I have a 2014 as well with the full up radio with NAV and SAT, and it fairly rarely has a similar issue. Somethings, once every few months, when I turn the van on, the display remains off. Doesn't seem to happen on the first start of the day, but after driving a bit. Turning the van off and waiting 10 to 15 minutes seems to solve the issue. I have mentioned it at the dealer but it never happens when I am there. I recall several others mentioning similar issues on this forum as well. Can't be of much help other that its not an isolated case.

·
Super Moderator
10,493 Posts
Is the screen button on the top right side off? That will cause this. I would think it would reset when restarted tho.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Screen

I saw the "screen on/off button" and tried that. Obviously didn't work. Seemed like more that just the screen though. Like I said, the right side tuning knob didn't change the station that was playing. The volume worked, as did the left hand push button on/off. I figured it would be something that folks have had happen. It also seemed like one of those "I swear it just did it this morning!" situations you tell the dealer when it is working fine. I turned the truck off then on a few times to see if it would reset but I didn't wait any more than 30 seconds or so before starting it back up. I think I am going to pass on this van, I really don't feel like dealing with crap like that. I might just go look at a new one. hmmmmmm....

·
Super Moderator
10,493 Posts
A few weeks ago mine just froze up for no reason at all. The touch screen wouldn't work other than changing the radio from AM to FM. The only way I could change stations was with the steering wheel controls. The GPS wouldn't do anything, the phone was locked up etc. I tried to reset it by disconnecting the battery for a half hour but nothing at all. Finally after 3 days it just started working again. Mine was replaced under warranty after a month when it was new but I have 70k miles on it now. I was secretly pleased thinking now I had an excuse to replace it with a much better one with Apple Play, etc and then it just started working again.

I hate this unit it is a real POS! Anyone who actually orders this overpriced piece of junk is nuts. Get the radio delete option then buy a good aftermarket head end unit. You will far happier and wealthier.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
display

Thanks for the responses guys. The guy selling it is going to let me take it to the local RAM dealer to take a look at the entire vehicle. There is still 4 months left on the full warrantee, maybe the radio unit can be replaced. Thanks again

·
Registered
496 Posts
A few weeks ago mine just froze up for no reason at all. The touch screen wouldn't work other than changing the radio from AM to FM. The only way I could change stations was with the steering wheel controls. The GPS wouldn't do anything, the phone was locked up etc. I tried to reset it by disconnecting the battery for a half hour but nothing at all. Finally after 3 days it just started working again. Mine was replaced under warranty after a month when it was new but I have 70k miles on it now. I was secretly pleased thinking now I had an excuse to replace it with a much better one with Apple Play, etc and then it just started working again.

I hate this unit it is a real POS! Anyone who actually orders this overpriced piece of junk is nuts. Get the radio delete option then buy a good aftermarket head end unit. You will far happier and wealthier.
KOV, I just love reading radio related threads just to see your replies. Now that I've had my van for a month and lived with the factory stereo and GPS I can honestly say you are a wise man. This thing is a POS! It's like it was designed by morons. Every time you press the NAV button it goes through a process of loading maps and asking you to set it up as if you've never used it before. Sometimes it freezes, you can only zoom out so far, and the screen is so small and filled with boxes of information that you can barely see the map. The only thing that seems to work is the time to destination is more accurate than any other in car GPS I've used.

·
Super Moderator
10,493 Posts
Hey Shaun my friends say to know me is to love me everyone else says I'm full of ****.

Most people are wrong, of course;)

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
KOV, I know you, and I will say you seem right about this issue and on your advice I got the UM-3 or whatever and am happy. Other than this you are full of $het of course! It’s a common affliction most of us share.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Intermittent video on camera / Blue Screen

I starting having issues with my backup camera on my 2014, I get a blue screen once and a while with my backup camera. Image works most of the time, but sometimes its just turns into a blue screen, or works for a second or two and then goes blue. I have tried wiggling the wiring at the back doors, as I hear they get damaged, and the drivers side wires on this van were pinched once. Anyone experience this issue? Also my rear door stopped locking, could the two be related? I have to lock it with the key.

·
Super Moderator
10,493 Posts
If the locking trigger wire is damaged (grounded)you won’t be able to lock the doors. I have mine on a switch so I can turn on the rear view camera whenever I wish but unless I remember to shut the switch off I can’t lock the doors with the remote.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,654 Posts
KOV,

You need a pushbutton with a 12V latching relay connected to engine-on power. Use that to trigger the backup camera on. Then when you turn off the van, the power to the relay goes off and you can lock with no issues!

solarj,

My 2014 had the same issues... wiring harness in the tube between the rear passenger door and the rear corner of the van was worn and had to be replaced... just made it under warranty. For you, I would suggest taking the door trim off, pulling the wire out and trying to splice or insulate the broken or chafed wire. Shouldn't be too hard. It happens because the passenger side door is used a lot more than the other door, and the 270 degree opening really stretches the limit on the wiring!

·
Registered
538 Posts
I had the radio go wonky in my 14 PM a while back. Volume wouldn't work. I shut it down at a red light and restarted it. Then it worked fine. Shortly after that I needed the battery replaced under warranty. I believe the low battery will cause gremlins like that. In the year I've had a fresh battery in it, it has been perfect.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2015 PM. Battery went dead over the tail end of winter (got lazy starting it every two weeks as its been warmer a bit). Radio has total black screen as OP noted. Can turn on/off with power button. Volume knob works on radio and on steering wheel.
Started van a few times thus far today, but still only black screen. Still on trickle charger. I hope it comes back to working again, the back up camera is a really important safety feature to me!

·
Registered
734 Posts
My 2014 had the same issues... wiring harness in the tube between the rear passenger door and the rear corner of the van was worn and had to be replaced... just made it under warranty. For you, I would suggest taking the door trim off, pulling the wire out and trying to splice or insulate the broken or chafed wire. Shouldn't be too hard. It happens because the passenger side door is used a lot more than the other door, and the 270 degree opening really stretches the limit on the wiring!
Eddie,

I'm having my backup camera randomly turn blue rather than come on. Do you think the problem is in the 2 feet of wire running into the back door? I'm assuming right at the hinge? The camera comes on when I open the door. It seems to me like if that wire is the problem it wouldn't get the signal to come on?

Josh

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
2,711 Posts
Eddie,

I'm having my backup camera randomly turn blue rather than come on. Do you think the problem is in the 2 feet of wire running into the back door? I'm assuming right at the hinge? The camera comes on when I open the door. It seems to me like if that wire is the problem it wouldn't get the signal to come on?

Josh
My 2018 factory backup camera wire is not in the door, but in the plastic housing above the door. Is your PM different?

·
Registered
734 Posts
My 2018 factory backup camera wire is not in the door, but in the plastic housing above the door. Is your PM different?
Since the camera has to connect up there I'm sure there's a wire running to it but Eddie says the break in the wire that's causing the blue screen is in the door.

Josh

1 - 20 of 23 Posts