Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll try to keep this brief, to the point, and not cry/whine too much.

I was involved in an accident(not my fault) in mid-January and the front end of my van was punched in enough to necessitate the replacement of the radiator, along with many other parts. Keeping a very long story short, I'm still waiting after six and a half weeks to get my van back from the body shop. The story I'm told, by the body shop, several dealer parts departments, and FCA is that there are no radiators for Promasters in the US. They evidently have been on backorder for quite some time. The latest shipment date I've been given, by an FCA/RAM customer service rep. is now May!!!! They keep trying to reassure me they're doing everything they can to expedite one. The body shop has also informed me that no qualified aftermarket radiators are out there either(I still have 40K on the warranty).

I know from reading past posts about serious repair issues(diesels come to mind) that their are folks out there who have waited for very long periods to have problems resolved. For those of you who are business owners I'm curious if you have ever had any luck getting compensation for "loss of use" out of FCA/RAM?

It is one thing to work out of a temporary rental vehicle and another to have a vehicle that is customized for your particular business. Loss of efficiency and damage to materials and tools from floating around on the floor of an unfitted van are taking a toll. I'm curious to know if other folks think it's unreasonable to expect FCA/RAM to have a spare parts supply chain in place after having these vehicles on the road for 4-5(?) years? They clearly don't!

After all the bragging in their brochures about low cost of ownership/longer service intervals for the Promaster, I find this to be extremely disappointing. How do you sell a vehicle made specifically for business and not have a way to keep those vehicles on the road????? I understand that there was a sizable sale of Promasters to the US Postal Service. I wonder how many of these now sit idle due to lack of parts?

While I continue to make payments for this vehicle it sits at a body shop depreciating, I drive a rental that is hazardous due to lack of a bulkhead, the business suffers loss of productivity, and tools are enduring extra wear due to lack of proper storage. Some of these things are very minor and some are not.

I know, at the end of the day it's the bean counters. Just real sick of their mentality and want my vehicle back.
Thanks for reading and pardon the whining. Thanks in advance to those who reply, I really do appreciate you taking the time!

Take Care.

·
Super Moderator
10,175 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

If I were in your position I would be searching junkyards all over the USA & Canada!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies and the links Zoomyn and keeponvaning.

Yes, the body shop did pursue salvaged parts initially. They got one in and it was unusable/damaged.
Then after a quick call to corporate warranty dept. I pulled the plug on salvaged parts as I still have 40K left on my warranty. I don't feel I should have to potentially compromise my warranty to get back on the road.

Shouldn't we have a reasonable expectation that parts would be available for a vehicle such as this? It's not as if it's been out of production for a while or that it just came out.

Three to four months ago I had another interesting situation trying to get a part. I went in looking for the small(parabolic?) mirror that's part of the side mirror. At the time I was told it wasn't available, I would have to buy the entire mirror assembly if I wanted it. After a few choice words I left. I can hear you now Zoomyn - Salvage Yard!!! :) Last I checked that situation has changed and the part is available. It just seems as though it's not much of a priority for FCA to establish a reliable parts supply chain.

In the future I guess I'll start hitting up the salvage yard/ebay for non-critical parts. In the mean time I wait.

Sorry, I left out vehicle info earlier.
2016, 159" WB, highboy, gasser, tricked out for the business. I'll post pics someday.

That's enough whining for one day. Later.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm thinking a lot of the radiators are getting used for warranty/recall issues. If you search forum or google you'll find the antifreeze smell issue.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Anyone else here thinking they could make a fortune parting out their PM? ;-)

IME, Italian vehicle manufacturers have never been good at parts supply. I speak as a long time Moto Guzzi rider. As a young man, I was a fan of Fiats into the early 80s too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts