Ram Promaster Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've contacted many dealerships throughout the country in the last few weeks and I'm really surprised at the lack of motivation for sales people these days. I'm pre-qualified and looking to buy and I can barely get anyone to even return my emails or calls. Anyway, I managed to get the attention of a local dealer who gave me a quote and I wanted to see what people on here thought:

Ram Promaster 159 2500 High roof
Cruise control, vinyl seats, u connect w/backup camera, cargo area mat (don't need) wall paneling (don't need)

no windows

MSRP $38,910.00
Invoice 37,273.00
discount -500.00
Doc/Prep fee 199.00
Subtotal $36,972.00

Sales 2,588.04
Title/Tire Tax 31.25
Subtotal $39,591.29

Factory rebates -3,000.00

Out The Door Total $36,591.29

Is this a good deal? The dealer also offers a lifetime powertrain warranty for as long as I own the van. I figured I'd see what people here thought first. I haven't bought a new car in about 16 years so I'm out of the loop, and my wife always leases.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Terrible deal. Have you used Truecar and Carguru. Your phone will be ringing after you use those sites.

·
Registered
386 Posts
... i dunno... paid $58500. CDN for mine = $44500 USD out the door... 4 wks ago... no discounts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Terrible deal. Have you used Truecar and Carguru. Your phone will be ringing after you use those sites.

I've been using Cargurus exclusively to contact dealerships, and made sure to notify them that I'm pre-qualified. Some of them get back to me and say they'll get the numbers together but then I don't hear back. What's a number that would be considered a good deal? There are some listed on there for 28k - 33k, (minus taxes) but they also have incentives attached that I don't qualify for, such as military or realtor's association membership.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Shop around . Works for me. Also, the powertrain warranty will most likely apply to that dealership ONLY , check that out . If you're in or near northern Illinois I have a dealer that's hard to beat ! Best of luck !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shop around . Works for me. Also, the powertrain warranty will most likely apply to that dealership ONLY , check that out . If you're in or near northern Illinois I have a dealer that's hard to beat ! Best of luck !

Yes, the powertrain warranty applies to only them. My wife has a 2018 Challenger Shaker that we take to them and they've been great with any maintenance and repairs. I'm just a state over in Indiana, so what's the name of that dealer? I'd definitely give it a shot. Thanks!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I would be looking for a used van in good shape. I paid $21,500 US for a 2017 159" 2500 High top with 35000 miles. You could buy used, and complete a full build out and still save money. Just my 2 cents. And yes, $36,500 is too much

·
Registered
68 Posts
and 2020 models come out soon too, which will when all those unsold 2019's will get an immediate price reduction, but still new. Most of these on the lots are the same anyway, and I haven't heard of any changes for the PMs, so why buy new? You do get what you want, like swivels etc, but is that worth the cost?

·
Registered
880 Posts
The local dealer here has the lifetime warranty gimmick. It’s a gimmick because they hit you up for constant unnecessary maintenance that you don’t need, but must do it to retain the lifetime warranty

Try truecar....nothing to loose

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ram Promaster 159 2500 High roof
Cruise control, vinyl seats, u connect w/backup camera, cargo area mat (don't need) wall paneling (don't need)

no windows

MSRP $38,910.00
Invoice 37,273.00
discount -500.00
Doc/Prep fee 199.00
Subtotal $36,972.00

Sales 2,588.04
Title/Tire Tax 31.25
Subtotal $39,591.29

Factory rebates -3,000.00

Out The Door Total $36,591.29

Wow, Not sure where you live but if you are willing to buy from diff state then check out San Antonio and Houston area out. I got my OTD for less than 34K 2107 2500 159" HT

·
Registered
628 Posts
I would be looking for a used van in good shape. I paid $21,500 US for a 2017 159" 2500 High top with 35000 miles. You could buy used, and complete a full build out and still save money. Just my 2 cents. And yes, $36,500 is too much
My opinion: the reason to buy new is to get more value out of the camper conversion. I bought mine new and plan to keep it for 20 years/200k miles. If I were to own the vehicle for less years/miles the years (yes years) of labor and research and thousands of dollars on the camper conversion wouldn't be worth it to me.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Five years, 110,000 miles, but I don’t plan to be dead in 20 years. I’ll only be 92 then. My plan is to still be rolling, but not necessarily in this van. I built mine so that the innards could be transferred to a new van.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Economics

My opinion: the reason to buy new is to get more value out of the camper conversion. I bought mine new and plan to keep it for 20 years/200k miles. If I were to own the vehicle for less years/miles the years (yes years) of labor and research and thousands of dollars on the camper conversion wouldn't be worth it to me.
Thanks afox

This is exactly the same thought process I had as well & why I bought new. In this whole equation most DIYers do not include a reasonable cost of their own “free” labor into the build cost (including research & learning)

No way would I buy a used van & dump a bunch of money “& time” on a platform that I dont know how it was driven or maintained & is closer to warranty expiration. By my math that is not economical long or short term

·
Registered
824 Posts
KOV & MsNomer

I already have 5 years / 124k miles. I’ll be dead in 20 years!
Lets hope you run long & happy with your van or a newer one once you surpass your prediction ;)

Five years, 110,000 miles, but I don’t plan to be dead in 20 years. I’ll only be 92 then. My plan is to still be rolling, but not necessarily in this van. I built mine so that the innards could be transferred to a new van.
I like your style :D

It may be a recent trend, however in my part of the world people are selling VW camper vans that are old with loads of miles on them for crazy prices like $15,000 to $35,000 Canadian. That is nuts in my mind for a 20 or 30 year old vehicle

If I get 10 years use out of my Van, I will probably sell it when it is still worth something & build again with 10 year newer technology & the education/learning I have gained doing the 1st one. The value of the camper conversion does not depreciate at the same rate as the vehicle & depending upon the new buyer’s usage they may use it more for a local camper than a “travel see Alaska & all other States & Canada travel machine, thus the value to them may be your beautiful fit-up.

I could literally build another van in 30% to 40% of the time with less errors and a better job than my 1st one. 10 years down the road Im only needing to perform research on the latest and greatest technology on the bleeding edge of van conversions (& hopefully 10 more years of this wonderful forum & characters input/knowledge)

Of Course that is if I am alive:D

·
Super Moderator
7,489 Posts
Lets hope you run long & happy with your van or a newer one once you surpass your prediction ;)

I like your style :D

It may be a recent trend, however in my part of the world people are selling VW camper vans that are old with loads of miles on them for crazy prices like $15,000 to $35,000 Canadian. That is nuts in my mind for a 20 or 30 year old vehicle

If I get 10 years use out of my Van, I will probably sell it when it is still worth something & build again with 10 year newer technology & the education/learning I have gained doing the 1st one. The value of the camper conversion does not depreciate at the same rate as the vehicle & depending upon the new buyer’s usage they may use it more for a local camper than a “travel see Alaska & all other States & Canada travel machine, thus the value to them may be your beautiful fit-up.

I could literally build another van in 30% to 40% of the time with less errors and a better job than my 1st one. 10 years down the road Im only needing to perform research on the latest and greatest technology on the bleeding edge of van conversions (& hopefully 10 more years of this wonderful forum & characters input/knowledge)

Of Course that is if I am alive:D
Exactly!

·
Premium Member
7,802 Posts
To me this is a reason to order. You get color, swivel seats, whatever you want and save because you don’t pay for things you don’t want or need. The 4-5 months wait can be planned for and the time and slightly smaller discount will be forgotten long before the van is old.

·
Registered
205 Posts

All financial experts will tell you never buy new. I'm no financial expert, but mine was less than a year old and with a savings of $12,000-$14,000 off compared to one 10 months newer. No thanks. I'll just keep mine for 19 years and 230,000 and have a lot of good times traveling with all that money I saved. See you out there!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.