Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While still waiting for van's delivery am busy refining overall design and selecting components.
Van was ordered last October !

Am now working the plumbing and starting search for a water pump. A quiet one. Any advice on what you have run across will be most helpful. What about accumulators, never had one does it help with pulsing?

Still have a box full of pumps from RVs over the years but they were not quiet ones. No pump is silent but there has to be one that is more than the rest. I know proper base bushing, location in van and sound dampening helps.

Will report on what I find but interested in your experience. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
1,995 Posts
Hi,
We are using this Shurflo:
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-4008-101-A65-Water-Pump-Revolution/dp/B00W5GCQC2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519139760&sr=8-1&keywords=shurflo+rv+pump[/ame]

Its quite a bit quieter than I remember the older Shurflos we had in past RVs, and it also seems to handle low flow rates better.

This time I mounted the pump on rubber mounts and attached it with flex hoses that have a loop in them -- to reduce noise.

You can still definitely hear it when its operating, but not nearly as loud as they used to be.

I don't see any need for an accumulator for the new Shurflo.

They don't like to be frozen

·
Registered
627 Posts
We opted for a FloJet pump (R4426143) that doesn't require an accumulator - - the pump modulates the flow according to demand. Which brings us to noise. Would love to say it's quiet, but we can hear it. Fortunately it doesn't run much. What's interesting is the 'pump rate' and the corresponding noise vary according to flow rate. At low water volumes it kinda purrs in the background becoming more intrusive with the faucet wide-open.

·
Banned
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all for your input. Sounds like I need to continue with a diaphragm type pump. Looking around I had hoped there was something better, not as quiet as the old pressurized ones in terms of noise but close.

The market leader still seems to be the Shurflo 3 gpm model, 4008. I am considering their smaller one 4028 2.3 gpm as per Shurflo's tech guy, it is quieter that the 4008 plus less flow is good when dealing with limited water source in a van. The tech also said that with the 4028 2.3 gpm pump you really don't need an accumulator, sounds like Gary has this model ?

I know from experience that without an accumulator the cycling and bursts of flow are terrible. I felt sorry for the pump as it sounded like it was being tortured. Watching and listening videos of even the small under 1 liter accumulator helped tremendously with smoothing out water flow. The small accumulator made a significant difference in smoothness, pump noise stayed about the same but no more hydraulic gymnastics coming out the faucet. If I were to consider an accumulator it would be a lot bigger than the small less than 1 liter size. A two gallon sized one would allow sufficient faucet time before pump wakes up.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
1,995 Posts
Hi,
I have the 4008, but I think the 2.3 gpm flowrate one would be fine, and if its quieter that would be a plus.

I do feel it handles low flow rates without an accumulator just fine -- better than the older Shurflos.

If in doubt about the accumulator, I'd put provisions in the plumbing to add one later, but try it without the accumulator before you buy one.

Gary

·
Banned
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for your input Gary. Yes being an incremental person and always looking ahead I will try the lower flow 4028 for a while and see if it meets my requirements. Room to mount future accumulator and piping will be there and such that adding the accumulator will be painless.

Doing same with the 120vAC air conditioner, it's in the drawing with space allocated, panel breaker and wiring in place should we decide we really need air conditioning later on. Meantime that space will be used as storage.

One nice thing about the Shurflo 4008 and 4028 pump bodies is that they have the ability to adjust the by-pass valve using pressure measurements. This is supposed to lower output flow below pump's maximum rating. I might need to do that, will see. I have only three water services: galley sink, shower and outside sprayer.

All but the outside sprayer use hot water service. Planning on saving water with a DIY hot water recirculating system. Even with a 30 gal fresh water tank, we feel its important to save water. By the way I will also have thermostatic mixers on the shower to maintain steady temperature. Not sure this is needed in a one flow at a time system like this but worth trying out. Larger RVs with kids and several faucets thermostatic mixers are nice to have. A van with two people and limited flows - questionable.

·
Banned
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks ThomD, nice article.

I liked the Remco variable speed a lot but not crazy about high pressures, ( higher tendency for leaks, hose bursts, etc ) and don't need 5+ gpm.

Looked up the smaller Remco ones, 3.5 gpm, but they are typical fixed speed pulsating ones.

It's important to know that Shurflo parts and replacements are all over the continent. Field repairs/replacement is high on our list.

Thanks for sharing that link.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I put in this tiny water pump:
. It produces plenty of water for my needs, but I have two complaints about it: One is that if I reduce the flow, I get a weird splatter rather than a smooth trickle, and the other is that it's LOUD. I'd be willing to pay the extra money for a Shurflo if it's significantly better on those things. Any sense of that?

·
Super Moderator
10,172 Posts
I had that exact pump and it worked fine for 4 years but it was noisy and pulsated like crazy until I put a one gallon accumulator on it. It froze solid one night this winter (4° in NM) with ice actually coming out of the seams but I thawed it out with a hair dryer and it still worked fine.

I just bought this one tho, as a precaution,and it’s much quieter and I don’t need the accumulator anymore either.

·
Super Moderator
10,172 Posts
Thanks for your input Gary. Yes being an incremental person and always looking ahead I will try the lower flow 4028 for a while and see if it meets my requirements. Room to mount future accumulator and piping will be there and such that adding the accumulator will be painless.

I have only three water services: galley sink, shower and outside sprayer.

All but the outside sprayer use hot water service.
How do you catch the grey water when you use your outside sprayer?

·
Super Moderator
10,172 Posts
That’s the whole point - you wouldn’t but technically it’s grey water and, well, Phil gets it ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts