Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been cutting Thinsulate for several hours. Luckily/happily I found the 'pink (not fiberglass)' insulation at Promaster accessories-
http://www.promasteraccessories.com/insulation.php
Almost 31 pieces each prec-cut for each panel section in the van! Of course now windows are in and the ceiling machines we won't use all of the 31 precut panels. But they certainly make cutting the Thinsulate panels easy acting as template.

Now my question on Thinsulate.....I've been both directions on YouTube.....should the black face of the Thinsulate face in the van or should the white fluffy side?
My guess is that it doesn't matter as long as we don't compress the Thinsulate.
Your thoughts please.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,449 Posts
This guy sell thinsulate on ebay, Impact Inc, and is on several forums, Hein van Swaay, youtube his name for install videos.

·
Registered
2015 Promaster 3500 159 Ext gas silver
190 Posts
I notice they claim an amazing R38 insulation value for a 3/8" thickness. No doubt in the fine print somewhere it says this is based on a dead air spacing of some amount on one or both sides. Kind of the same thing Reflectix does in promoting their product. Without the air space it is probably around R2 at best. They also don't really say what the insulating material is although the mention of 'closed cell' means it is probably some kind of foam.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wbullivant,
We noted the insane rating well before ordering and even if they simply missed a decimal, e.g. R3.8, it would still be a wild claim.
The actual material, and I have a piece in my hand, is bubbly cushy close-cell foam on each side separated by a thin metallic layer. You can see lots of little tiny air bubbles in the pink squishy sides.
What it has allowed us to do however is to cut our Thinsulate to match, glue the Thinsulate to each piece, and soon be able to apply the completed piece, i.e. pink + Thinsulate, in one whack because the adhesive on the pink foam insulation is temperature independent whereas the glue (3M 90) we're using to stick the Thinsulate to the pink foam is temperature dependent--thus that step is being carried out inside.
Anything and everything possible to do plug-n-play we are and this method of insulating follows that theme :) We'll still have to wait for a warm day to spray in Great Stuff into the little gaps here and there and possibly place a heater in the van for that step if it can get the temperature high enough.
Even our floors are plug-n-play.
The Bed-Rug is already here and I just got notice that the Legen KK-Plus floor and Penda wall liners have shipped! Even better the window/AC/solar panel/fan installer e-mail today, that step is done. So we're leaving in a couple of hours to pick up the van, come home and tomorrow will spend the day insulating.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts