Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw on another thread that RD has installed a Webasto heater just behind the driver's seat. I'm planning to install one eventually, but not yet. But in an immediate way, it'd be really helpful to know the amount of space necessary for that, so I can plan around it. Anyone have measurements on that?

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I have some pictures with it in place but I installed an Espar diesel heater and they are almost the same size I believe. The position avoids under the floor stuff and can be installed with out removing the heat shield from the muffler although I did remove a couple of plastic pins and folded down one side to get access.
It is in my build thread: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=279306&postcount=93

That section of the floor is now insulated.

Reactions: SteveSS

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much! Especially for such speed -- impressive. Where's the vent on that? Is it venting where the tape measure is, or is it venting through the plywood structure?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And unfortunately, MsNomer's pictures have all vanished... But there's tons of good info on that page. More than my poor little brain is ready to absorb quite yet, but the time will come.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Thanks so much! Especially for such speed -- impressive. Where's the vent on that? Is it venting where the tape measure is, or is it venting through the plywood structure?
I am not sure what you mean by venting so I will try to be clear. The unit has two exterior pipes one for intake combustion air and one for exhaust. They are under the unit passing through the steel floor. The inlet air from the van for the heating is towards the front of the van (top in picture) and the black hose passes through our dinette base cabinet 20 inches and has a diffuser to disperse hot air towards our bed and up.
You probably know I am a little, shall we say, frugal. It was ~$900 and worth much more in comfort. In the winter evenings when it is dark and we are waiting for it to get to bedtime and when we are ready to get up it is wonderful. “The Bear” our old Kelty two-person sleeping bag suffices at night unless it's below freezing.

Reactions: Julie Rehmeyer

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,436 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I saw on another thread that RD has installed a Webasto heater just behind the driver's seat. I'm planning to install one eventually, but not yet. But in an immediate way, it'd be really helpful to know the amount of space necessary for that, so I can plan around it. Anyone have measurements on that?
J

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, everyone. And sorry for my sporadic responses -- I'm not spending much time online at the moment, especially not on my computer where I can type responses.

This is all super helpful. What I'm still not clear on, though, is, where does the hot air come out?

Also, I was imagining installing it at a 90-degree angle from how you did, RD, as close to the driver's seat as I can. Does that seem practical?

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Julie, in the picture I posted the heated air goes out through the black tube which you can lead to wherever you want it to go.

That is what I meant by "the black hose passes through our dinette base cabinet 20 inches and has a diffuser to disperse hot air towards our bed and up.” The heater takes in cool air at one end (up in my picture) and heats it and pushes it out the other end (down in my picture) which I have attached a tube to direct it to the rear of the van.

Reactions: Julie Rehmeyer
1 - 12 of 12 Posts