Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to build a quick platform for our new mattress by Friday and my van is at the dealer getting fixed so I probably won't have much time, I was laying awake last night and came up with this. Thoughts???

I'm going to build two boxes out of 3/4 plywood, open on each end so I can access storage space from the rear doors or inside, plus the space under the bed between the boxes. I'll screw and glue it all together and then screw it to the 1/2 ply floor I have down now with "L" brackets. Throw down another piece of 3/4 on top for the platform and run with it. Both of the boxes will fit between the wheel wells.

See any problems with this idea???

Thanks

Excuse my poor Sketchup drawings, i was in a hurry >:D They are not 100% to scale.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
It will work great, go for it. You probably saw I only have a pair of single 1/2 inch of ply wood panels, attached to the wheel wells with rivnuts and the bed supports across it. Any more is unnecessary but most do it. I believe in the Engineering principles of KISS, and making one thing do as many tasks as possible. Yours is way over-done but will be wonderful. Our bed is 54" wide and unless the missus and I slim down a 48" bed would seem a bit constrained!

Reactions: Quest4Adv

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will work great, go for it. You probably saw I only have a pair of single 1/2 inch of ply wood panels, attached to the wheel wells with rivnuts and the bed supports across it. Any more is unnecessary but most do it. I believe in the Engineering principles of KISS, and making one thing do as many tasks as possible. Yours is way over-done but will be wonderful. Our bed is 54" wide and unless the missus and I slim down a 48" bed would seem a bit constrained!
RD, Thanks for the reminder, I see now you used 1/2, I could probably cut down on parts of it.

For the Rivnuts in the wheelwells? What did you do to protect the hole you drilled? Primed it and painted or anything special ???

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Filled it with grease on the outside, probably silicone seal would have been better?

Reactions: Quest4Adv
1 - 4 of 4 Posts