Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at placing an order here in the next week or two, time to finalize what we want to get (which will be most things). But I'm a bit confused on a few different options and what they really are or if they're worth it.

-- Motor Home Suspension Package -inc: Rear Heavy Duty Stabilizer Bar - We'll be doing a DIY RV conversion, probably 2000 pounds or so, but should have the heavy stuff down low (or mounted underneath). Don't think I'll be wanting this.

-- Daytime running lamps - What do these provide? We like to always drive with the headlights on, but I don't want these if they're the classic "halfway on" lights. I'd rather be able to leave the lights in the "On" position and just have them turn off when the ignition is off.

-- Upfit Interface Connectors - Not sure what this could be used for, but for the price, it might come in quite handy, even though I don't think its quite like the four option switches that's available.

-- Security Alarm - Does this provide the keyless entry? Or just provide an alarm if the van is messed with?

-- Rear window defroster - We're getting rear glass, but with our layout the left rear window will be blocked by the wet bath. The other one will be tinted. Is there really much that can be seen out the rear? Thinking it won't be worth trying to defrost/defog and just go with the side mirrors for rear visibility.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Can not start the van in the middle of the night at a camp ground without the running lights
being on. I wish there was a way to turn off.
So I would not get the running lights.
Here in Canada it is mandatory.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Shows what? What is the advantage to having the upfitter connector?
Shows the upfitters connection ,I posted the link.
For me I have my power from there, like a high powered air compressor for air suspension. There is rear speaker connects also.
$35.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Shows the upfitters connection ,I posted the link.
For me I have my power from there, like a high powered air compressor for air suspension. There is rear speaker connects also.
$35.
Right I see that and have seen it before. I'm just asking the advantage. What are other folks using it for?

My RV conversion will use a Sterling Battery to Battery charger, which is connected to the cab battery. That will be my only connection from house to cab. Everything in the house will be powered from shore or house battery.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Totally agree with you. $35 and it is there for the taking. I'd say go for it.Why not?

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Security alarm has no key less entry. You have to use the fab to get in.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Looking at placing an order here in the next week or two, time to finalize what we want to get (which will be most things). But I'm a bit confused on a few different options and what they really are or if they're worth it.

-- Motor Home Suspension Package -inc: Rear Heavy Duty Stabilizer Bar - We'll be doing a DIY RV conversion, probably 2000 pounds or so, but should have the heavy stuff down low (or mounted underneath). Don't think I'll be wanting this.
Well if this is just a fancy way of saying they are adding a sway bar like what is on the 3500 then I would consider it. One of the complaints I always read from Sprinter RV'ers is the lack of stability when driving over curbs at an angle. The sway bar fixes this issue. If you get a 3500 you may not need this "package".

-- Rear window defroster - We're getting rear glass, but with our layout the left rear window will be blocked by the wet bath. The other one will be tinted. Is there really much that can be seen out the rear? Thinking it won't be worth trying to defrost/defog and just go with the side mirrors for rear visibility.
I would definitely skip this one

·
Registered
886 Posts
Headlights when left on all the time, go off when key is pulled. If I had daytime running lights, I probably would not use them because I like automatic lights on and off with key, so I set lights to on anyway.

For daytime running lights to be useful for me, it needs auto dusk to dawn sensors too, to turn lights on and off.

You'd do fine without rear window defroster if you have backup cam. Most vans have no rear windows anyway and we do just fine. It's slider window I think would help my driving more. Without wife looking out her window, I sometimes can't see what's comimg from that side at some intersections.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Rear defrost - not needed. Not needed even if you didnt have a camera or glass. Thats what an ice scrapper is for!

Upfitters - worth it no question

Alarm - not. Pm comes standard with 2 fobs. If security is an issue, cheaper/better aftermarket anyway.

DLR - probably tied to the fog lamp package. Previous poster was correct - just run headlights on full time. I plan to put auxillary driving lights in the blocked off fog lamp blanks at some point. On the pm, the low beams are excellent but the high beams arent so great. When i kick on high beams, i want something so bright it will damage retinas and light up an airfield.

Sway bar- comes standard on the 2500 and 3500 i think, and whatever the standard is is just fine. More swaybar will only tranfer more shock from the wheel that hits the pothole to the one that didnt. If you are planning some kind of nascar road course motor home great, otherwise its not needed.

I could see power heated folding mirrors being worth it on a motorhome. I recommend the uconnect 5.0 but nothing fancier. You grt backup camera, hands free, bluetooth with it, but you also get some convenient access to the trip computer and range estimates. You slso get a dippy compass, but that might be useful for an rv.

Looking at the upfitter chart confirms that for the most part all the pms are the same. Same tow rating, similar payloads. You actually get less payload with the extended body, simply because the body weighs more. I think all of them would be fine - i dont think you could build 4300# of rv apparatus unless you had an onboard hot tub.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another one comes to mind. Think I've already decided on it, but still have doubts.

-- Wide 96" mirrors - Yes, they're still power adjust, thankfully, but not heated and not folding like the other option. (though I'm not sure I'll use either of those functions much at all) But I'm just not seeing that in regular driving the wide mirrors are needed. Even towing a flat trailer or regular cargo trailer. Now, if I was planning on towing an RV trailer, I could see the extra mirror width coming in handy.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Upfitter connection is excellent for a number of the outputs you get, but the $35 is totally paid for from the 50A connection and the stereo connections.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't see that anyone really answered WHY get the up fitter connection. It simply gives you easy access to the speaker connections and power, so if you want to add rear speakers (and who doesn't?) they are available in the post behind the passenger seat. Otherwise, you can tap into them on your own at a plug below the passenger foot rest, but the upfit connector is much easier.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Are you saying to connect to the door speakers? If so that would be front speakers and
no control over the fader on the radio.
I put my opinion in and I said get it. 35 buckaroos. There might be a chance you may need
it down the road.
For me it became handy. Click on the link and see if you need it. If not you will safe yourself
35 buckaroos.

·
Registered
473 Posts
On your list, after having owned 2 of these tall vans as RV's I'd definitely get all the suspension I could get. Order the RV package.
Order the Upfit connector just for the convenience. It eliminates you splicing into the OEM wiring, which on today's vehicles is always a gamble. And $35.00 for it which you won't pay that amount unless you pay retail, why worry.

The other items on your list, Nah, not needed for your purpose

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was leaving my regular headlights on all the time and both sides burnt out around 30,000 miles , not cheap and a pain to replace . The dealer charged me $50. To replace the first one the second one I changed but I had to remove headlight assembly to do it

·
Registered
233 Posts
I would go for the power folding heated mirrors. You may find them handy in tight parking in the big city. I know I wish I had them.

If you plan to do any winter driving I'd go for the heated mirrors. I have always thought the eighteen wheelers with the heated mirrors was a supper smart concept.

I would be super cautious about having the dealer input any codes about mirrors 96" wide. I think my dealer screwed up my order with this code and I got mirrors with no power controls at all; just old school get out of the van hike to the other side guess at the adjustment hike back look over and go dough Homer Simpson!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts