Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've been debating which way to go with a rack for my 2017 promaster camper conversion. My heart is leaning toward having Aluminess building one for me. My wallet kind of likes the idea of doing something simpler and more cost effective likely from Rhino racks. I need something to mount two solar panels on and I want something that will give me some space to carry a bit of stuff. I also think the ability to go up top for a photography platform or sunset viewing would be really cool too!

So my question is for those who bit the bullet and had Aluminess build you a rack
- Any regrets? Would you do it again, and if so, what would you do different? Got to make up my mind quickly and get something on order. I've got spring fever.

THANKS!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi David -- I'm extremely happy with the rack fabricated for my 159" EXT by Main Made Studios in Florida. As soon as this darn Michigan winter breaks, I'll get back to work on it and do some more photos and a more detailed review of this rack.

Great quality, nice welds, fantastic communication -- the owner, also "David" is very good at his craft.

http://www.mainmadestudios.com/american-portraiture/

·
Registered
98 Posts
The Adventure in a Backpack duo used an Aluminess rack. They had issues, and it caused them to have to mount solar panels not the way they had planned, so they couldn't tilt them the way they had envisioned. It seemed like they were trying to work something out with Aluminess, but it wasn't good, it was a bad mistake or miscommunication-though he put it squarely on the maker. Having said that, there was a FB post by Aluminess October 27 that featured their van, video below is from Oct 15, maybe all is good...he talks about the rack at about 15:20 in. I'm sure they have lots of happy customers, but unfortunately bad stories stick, you can likely find out somehow what the upshot was.

http://adventureinabackpack.com

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've got the Rhino rack setup with Foxwing awning. Just over the river in Camas if you want to see one in person I'll be around Sat after about 4 and all day Sunday. Just give me a call 360-798-7954

Reactions: Viabledaddy

·
Registered
240 Posts
Email is your friend

The Adventure in a Backpack duo used an Aluminess rack. They had issues, ... it was a bad mistake or miscommunication-though he put it squarely on the maker... I'm sure they have lots of happy customers, but unfortunately bad stories stick, ...

Both customer and manufacture are at fault here and I would think it not fair to simply blame the fabricator. Fabrication errors happen. In ordering a custom weldment I would first email a drawing of what I wanted and ask for a price and time of delivery. Payment is done only after the work is completed per drawing.;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Issues like this may have contributed to Alluminess moving away from custom work. I was there in January, they told me no more custom work on Promaster roof racks, but there are a couple of options they will add to their stock rack for a $85 change fee. The 10 week backlog and price for a Promaster 159 ($2900) told me they were not my best option.

PrimeDesign Alurack is up for consideration. Not nearly as cool, but ⅓ the cost.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I'll chime in on Aluminess as there were some manufacturing issues/concerns mentioned above... While we do not have a roof rack by them, we do have full front/rear Aluminess bumpers and (rear) boxes. I will say that the work they did for our rig is absolutely gorgeous! We've had several say the work/welds are perfect (the commentors/visitors were welders/fabricators).

: )

Thom

·
Registered
98 Posts
Both customer and manufacture are at fault here and I would think it not fair to simply blame the fabricator. Fabrication errors happen. In ordering a custom weldment I would first email a drawing of what I wanted and ask for a price and time of delivery. Payment is done only after the work is completed per drawing.;)
While I do agree with you that there is likely fault on both ends, as one who has custom ordered items for my customers for a long time I do feel that it's up to the manufacturer/retailer to introduce a solid process that ensures mistakes don't go into production. I tell our people all the time-the person ordering will do this once or twice in their lifetime, we do it constantly. But yes, it takes two to tango.
Also, wouldn't Aluminess require payment in full before fabrication?

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
...Also, wouldn't Aluminess require payment in full before fabrication?
They did in our case (with bumper project). We went through their local dealer which was the same shop that did our van's conversion/upfit (Van Specialties in Portland OR). We placed the order with VS, they got the build quote from Aluminess and we paid VS for the cost of the bumpers up front before they began fabrication.

Our bumpers began as the idea my wife wanted an outside kitchen... $7K and change later... haha. Nice kitchen though!

Thom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts