Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just bought a 2014 2500 159 length Ram Promaster about 3 weeks ago and I very excited to say the least. I am currently building out the van for a mobile home. I have a few questions regarding the rear axle and the clearance on bumpy roads. Has anyone had any huge problems with the axle being super low? I have been doing a bit of research and it seems like its possible to flip the axle or install an strait axle to gain more clearance, does anyone know much about either of these possibilities? Sorry for the ignorant questions but I just don't have much info on this.

Thanks

·
Registered
625 Posts
I don't think its any lower than the differential on a rear wheel drive van. Don't hear of those dragging the diff unless going on some really rough stuff. Though it is low all the way across, that could make a bit of difference.

·
Registered
171 Posts
There are many different solutions that used here in Europe: diferent leafs (also in composite materials), spring coil helper, air suspensions, ...

Some examples for Fiat Ducato and Peugeot/Citroen brothers

Here links to Goldschmitt catalog with part of their products
http://www.goldschmitt.de/fileadmin/user_upload/FTP-Upload/Product-Catalogue_2014-2015.pdf

Another big manufacturer is Al-Ko (they build also motorhomes/special vehicles chassis for Fiat Ducato).
They have, for example also a front coil spring/shock absrber/... olution to rise the van nose.

There are many others manufacturers and solutions like
Dunlop systems http://www.dunlopsystems.nl/
OMA http://www.ammortizzatorioma.it/

In motorhome european forums You find many dissussions about standard suspensions modifications.
RAM Promaster should be a model part of X250 project (newer Ducato and Peugeot/Citroen brothers are X290 project vehicles).

note: I don't work or I am related to the manufacturers hereafter.

·
Registered
427 Posts
None of the spring changes will change the clearance between the axle itself and the ground.

There is a fair bit of clearance. It would take an extremely rutted road to run out of clearance at the axle. The van is not designed to be used as a rock crawler. As mentioned above, rear axle drive vehicles may have the axle tubes higher but the bottom of the differential housing will be as low or lower.

I've never heard of it being a real-world issue.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I've been having a discussion with Ram over why I don't have 21" loadin height and 90" overall height. Right now I'm waiting to hear from someone one from Ram that will be dealing with me because the dealer is stonewall me.
I can fix the too tall van but think Ram should give me a product that meets their specs. Todd

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
All the trucks and jeeps are the same compared to the pm - the wheels bolt to the centerline of the axle, and thats that. To date, i have had zero problems with ground clearance. If its really an isdue, the only real solution is bigger wheels and tires. Normally i wouldnt recommend air shocks to anyone, but if clearance was a once in a while issue, a set of cheap air shocks might be the stop gap ticket.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Todd,
I wondered that too! I never bothered to measure it, but my 3500 doesnt seem any lower than any van ive ever owned. In fact, shes got her butt up
In the air more than paris hilton!

Maybe its a 1500/2500/3500 thing. Looking at the pm, seems the rump could drop a good 10 inches without being squat.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What is the difference in the rear components of the 1500 vs 2500 vs 3500...

Is the axle the same in all three weight ratings?

Are the wheels and brakes and tires all the same ratings and sizes?

Are the springs the same?

I could see no difference looking at the 2500 and the 3500 in the rear ends, also assume the front end drive is all the same ???

There is quite a weight capability difference in something that looks the same in all three classes of the same van!!!!!

I was also concerned about the low clearance of the rear axles, I remember I measured about 7 inches of ground clearance.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
As i say, and vehicle with 16" rims and 75 series tires is going to have exactly the same ground clearance. Actually rwd would have slightly less.

From what this forum has determined, the difference between the 1500 and 2500/3500 is the final drive ratio in the transaxle and the leaf springs. The sole diffrrence between the 2500 and 3500 appears to be the rear swaybar diameter. You cant order the extended body without first getting a 3500. And you cant get a high roof 1500 or a long wheelbase 1500.

So, in terms of ground clearance or cargo weight, its just small van or big van, not 3 separate vans. Youll notice if you spec a diesel, its cargo cap comes down exactly the weight difference between the gas and diesel engines. If you spec the extended body, the weight cap also comes down by the extra body weight. Conclusion: the 2500 and 3500 are identical.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Im bored waiting for a load, so i watched that 4x4 video above, which is a hoot.

Mind wandering, i wondered how hard it would be to retrofit a 4x4 pm. Research. Chrylser made awd minivans from 1991-2004, but dropped the awd to make room for stow and go seats. That made me wonder if you could get a 4wd minivan with the 62te transaxle, and bolt it in. Alas, 62te started production in 2007, so i assume no factory parts for it in awd. Cant win them all.

I suppose if you just had to have a 4x4 promaster, you could just plop the body onto a truck or jeep frame. Or, you could adapt a truck rear axle and drive it electrically for low speed crawling.

·
Registered
427 Posts
This vehicle was originally designed to be front wheel drive ... period.

There do seem to be some 4 wheel drive conversions in Europe, but they have to take extraordinary measures to get the drive shaft through places it was never meant to go, and they rework the whole rear suspension so that the differential is in a fixed location in the chassis with CV-jointed shafts to the wheels.

I don't think there is an all-wheel-drive vehicle using the 62TE but there are certainly all-wheel-drive vehicles using the 9HP, and a 9HP will bolt up to a Pentastar ... It would be a major challenge to make all this work! The Ducato 4x4 no doubt uses the Fiat transmission but those are all diesels, so it might be feasible for a diesel ProMaster owner to do this, since it's the same transmission ...

http://www.coes.altervista.org/index.php?id=1249

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
CUT...

From what this forum has determined, the difference between the 1500 and 2500/3500 is the final drive ratio in the transaxle and the leaf springs. The sole diffrrence between the 2500 and 3500 appears to be the rear swaybar diameter. You cant order the extended body without first getting a 3500. And you cant get a high roof 1500 or a long wheelbase 1500.

CUT.... Conclusion: the 2500 and 3500 are identical.
Now I'm really confused... I go to the RAM "Build It" site and can select 1500 high roof and 136" wheelbase... even gives me a price $30,520 US. Do you mean I can't order that one? You seem right that the longer wheelbase has to be 2500.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Now I'm really confused... I go to the RAM "Build It" site and can select 1500 high roof and 136" wheelbase... even gives me a price $30,520 US. Do you mean I can't order that one? You seem right that the longer wheelbase has to be 2500.
Not sure what the previous poster meant, but 136" WB is not the "long" wheelbase - it is the intermediate.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
The rear axle is sitting higher than the Transit rear differential and the two shock supports.
This design gives you 10 to 15% more cargo room than the competition.
Example Ford Transit mid roof is the same size as the PM high roof. Stand in height is
Transit 72 vs 76" also more cargo length because of the front wheel drive.

The axle can not be flipped. This design has been in Europe for centuries.
No problems reported about getting hung up on ruts.
If you do get hung up then trade it in for a 4x4 truck or a 4x4 Sprinter $$$$$$.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts