Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I am looking to purchase a 2014 Ram Promaster 1500 136" WB short roof and came here to get some info!

I currently drive a GMC Savana 2500 cargo van and it has rear windows which is nice to have. The Promaster I was looking at that was at my local dealership had no windows in the rear, but I can add a backup camera which I would add no matter what. How is it driving the van with no windows? My next option is to go 4 hours away to another dealership and buy that same van with windows, but the color is white which I do not like. I prefer the one locally which is silver. May be getting a vehicle wrap anyways so it may not matter.

Question 2: How much does the wind toss this model around on the highway? My current cargo van is not too bad.

·
Super Moderator
10,217 Posts
The Promaster will drive and handle far better than the Savanna for sure!

You don't say if you're buying new or used. I suppose there might still be the occasional new 2014's kicking around out there but it's hard to give advice without knowing all the facts.

Personally, I would never want to drive (much less own) a van without rear windows and a side door window but that is only my preference. You could always add windows to the rear doors but in the long run you would be far better off with the factory ones unless there was a huge pricing difference.

Right now there appears to be a real shortage of new Promasters on the dealers lots as they change over to the 2016 model years. If you are planning on buying new it's best to wait until Fall, if used, you are at the mercy of the used truck market - good luck!

·
Registered
473 Posts
I use to have a GMC 3500 ext. van with rear windows. My ProMaster doesn't have any windows and I actually prefer having the backup camera and parking sensors than the windows. The camera gives a much better view while backing up and the parking sensors help with the small things that you might not see. The view out of the back of the GMC was limited to 4 feet above the ground. I have a few friends who have backed into posts and such because they couldn't see them. It will take you a while to get use to not seeing what's behind you during normal driving in traffic but judicious use of your mirrors will keep things in check.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a pro master with rear windows and also the interior partition with the sliding window. It is very useful to see what is behind. Personally you need the rear windows. You can put window guards on the interior if you need more security.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have no rear windows and no problem as I do have both a camera and park sense. The only window I have is on the passenger side slider which I consider a must for safety.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The last 3 vans I have owned had no windows = no problems. You get accustomed to not having them. My main reason for not having them was security all my tools etc.. in van out of sight out of mind. The handling on these things is phenomenal. Cross winds you can definitely feel but any high profile vehicle will be affected by this.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have 10 years and 713k miles in a windowless van. There was not a time I wished I had rear windows. However, my next van will have a passenger side window in the sliding door. When you come up to a stop sign at an angle, it is almost impossible to see to the right. I had to get creative a few times to see anything....

·
Registered
756 Posts
Roamed down to Wichita last week from Minnesota & once afternoon July sun came slanting in through the glass it was like lava oozing through.

Other than thermonuclear heating effects in locales more southerly than here next to the Canadian border? I like everything about the full window van.

Sitting up as high as the PM does there is near zero glare while night driving - the rear glass center divider stops 92.5% of tailing vehicles headlights.

No back-up camera, no parking assist so I'm rubber-necking and aware of angles and surroundings & hike around the van. Yippee.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will more than likely be purchasing a 2014 Ram Promaster short roof 136" WB. I think this will best suit my needs. The one on the lot does not have the back up camera and sensors installed, these can both be installed after correct? In Alberta, a 2014 with the above mentioned specs goes for around $30 000 CDN.

It does not have the door in the slider either, which I want. Can this be added in later?

It makes me feel good people out there get used to the no rear windows but if I had the choice I would have rear and side windows, parking sensors and a back up camera. I have never had an issue yet with tool theft.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I saw a Promaster with rear windows back into a car. It was painful to watch.

You don't need rear windows. A window in the slider is more useful. That is where you have a blind spot pulling into traffic at some angles.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Rear Window Stock

Tom,

I do have the rear windows but if I did it again I would pass on them. Its easy to change your mind later and add windows.

From a safety point of view rear windows give a false sense of security while driving and parking. As others have mentioned in this post the side windows on both sides especially the passenger side are in MOP a must. There is a huge blind spot when at intersections.

If you do want factory windows with heating elements I will be pulling out my rear windows soon and you can have them (I'm in Vancouver BC).

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
233 Posts
Tom,

I forgot to mention I have the stock backup camera and park assist. IOM these features are essential for these vans. I will probably add a full-time rear looking camera as well.

Dave

·
Registered
26 Posts
it's tough with no rear windows I've driven vans my whole life never without rear glass.I ordered glass for rear $220 a side and I'll put them in myself used to do glass.I purposely bought one without glass because I wanted side glass that opened thought I could get away with out the rear door glass.I don't like it I'm installing all my glass this weekend if it comes in friday

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the long/tall Promaster with rear windows, but with a wrap with holes in it and a divider also with holes in it, so the rear windows are nearly useless. I also have the stock rear park assist and an aftermarket rear view camera. I get around just fine with those, I've only backed into one thing, a sign post like what you'd see a handicapped sign on, but without any sign on it. It was almost to the corner of the van (there were no lines on the parking lot) and I didn't see it on the camera when I was far enough away to, once I got close it was out of the view. In all fairness, I couldn't see it out of the rear view mirror either, it was either too short or too far over. The only issue I have with the camera is that on rainy days, you'll get water drops on the camera lens, which completely distorts the view.

As far as side visibility goes, I had an issue with it when I first got the van, until I swapped what I was using the top and bottom mirrors for. The lower mirrors don't adjust out far enough to be really useful for added viability, but the larger top ones do. So I adjusted the top ones all the way out, and use the lower ones to see closer in. For me, it works much better than the other way around, once I got used to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own: 2014 1500 windowless, w/sensors

My 2014 1500 has no windows, solid metal 1 piece partition, and factory bumper sensors, no camera. I agree that there is a passenger side blind spot the size of a semi truck, but the one directly behind you without the camera is much smaller. Even with the rear windows on my old ford E-250, I managed to back into several different things. Side and rear windows only are useful if load does not block them. I have not been able to order the factory back-up camera kit for my van, only the replacement camera itself, not the camera body, or the harness either, just not available. Perhaps only as a completely different wiring harness in the rear, and only with their premium touch screen radio. I otherwise like the 2014 van, but have all the service bulletins done first, mine needed a oil pressure sensor and rear door latch changed, lights sealed etc. You can add a monitor from Best Buy, any backup camera off the internet, and get good results. Some monitors have multi-cam inputs.
I get good gas mileage, good acceleration, doesn't heat up in the back much,(It's white) and handles good in rain and wind. Lighter and better in mud when empty, but worse in mud when loaded going uphill.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts