Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6x12 enclosed trailer that I use to haul motorcycles to the racetrack. I'd like to purchase a Promaster next year, probably the high top with extended wheelbase and have the same setup (see attached photos).

a few questions:

1. is it possible to mount motorcycle stands and e-track to the sides of the Promaster? In my current trailer these are drilled into the the studs due to their substantial weight. Will I need to install side panels/walls first, or can I just mount to the bare frame?

2. for PM owners that haul motorcycles, how many motorcycles (race/sportbikes, average 450 to 550 pounds each) can you fit in the extended wheel base PM?

3. For anybody with any experience pulling a trailer with a PM, can the V-6 PM haul motorcycles AND pull a trailer, or should I opt for the diesel model to do this?

All advice/input welcome, thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 136" WB Promaster and, before the camper van conversion, have hauled two motorcycles in the back with no issue. You should be able to haul more without issue. A couple times I also pulled a trailer with two more bikes, again no issue, but my Promaster is diesel. It will pull as if the load isn't there.
I suspect a gas model will do the same but the tranny will shift more often and the engine will rev higher, depending on conditions, i.e., slope, headwind etc. The gas model may work depending how sensitive you are to the tranny down shifts and engine revs.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
The extended van is 6x13 cargo room. So it is basically the same size as trailer posted.
I would go with diesel for your application. The gas would work but like 35603 said, there
would be a lot of shifting and high rpms.

The mid section inside framing is plenty strong for your tracking system, except the inside
sliding door.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 136" WB Promaster and, before the camper van conversion, have hauled two motorcycles in the back with no issue. You should be able to haul more without issue. A couple times I also pulled a trailer with two more bikes, again no issue, but my Promaster is diesel. It will pull as if the load isn't there.
I suspect a gas model will do the same but the tranny will shift more often and the engine will rev higher, depending on conditions, i.e., slope, headwind etc. The gas model may work depending how sensitive you are to the tranny down shifts and engine revs.

Thanks! have you had any issues with the diesel model, like I've been seeing on various forums?

·
Registered
427 Posts
I haul bikes in my ProMaster - that's what I bought it for.

The van comes with flip-up hooks in the floor and side walls (It might have been a low-cost option to have them pre-fitted) and it's easy to secure tie-downs to those. No need for the additional metal tracks. I use a couple of Baxley wheel chocks which are loose; if you position your tie-downs right, the bikes are not going anywhere. But if you wanted to, it would be easy to bolt such wheel chocks to a piece of plywood and then secure that piece of plywood to the floor.

Two bikes side-by-side will fit with length left over. Mine is a 136" wheelbase low roof. The cargo area is roughly 6 feet wide by 10 feet long in this model. The 159" wheelbase will be 6 x 12.

I've hauled two bikes and three people inside the van plus a 5 x 10 enclosed trailer with two more bikes inside it. Gas engine. It gets the job done but towing will be easier with the diesel.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The garage part on mine is about 7 feet long. I know it is not street bikes, but I can get 3 full sized rally bikes (big dirt bikes) in the back without them really touching. I could probably squeeze another in if I wanted to get crazy. No other van could make that happen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haul bikes in my ProMaster - that's what I bought it for.

The van comes with flip-up hooks in the floor and side walls (It might have been a low-cost option to have them pre-fitted) and it's easy to secure tie-downs to those. No need for the additional metal tracks. I use a couple of Baxley wheel chocks which are loose; if you position your tie-downs right, the bikes are not going anywhere. But if you wanted to, it would be easy to bolt such wheel chocks to a piece of plywood and then secure that piece of plywood to the floor.

Two bikes side-by-side will fit with length left over. Mine is a 136" wheelbase low roof. The cargo area is roughly 6 feet wide by 10 feet long in this model. The 159" wheelbase will be 6 x 12.

I've hauled two bikes and three people inside the van plus a 5 x 10 enclosed trailer with two more bikes inside it. Gas engine. It gets the job done but towing will be easier with the diesel.

This is excellent information! Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 159" hitop diesel. I have a second row of seats and keep the back open for bikes.
Like the above post mentioned, there are tiedown points that come in the stock van. You could probably get by just fine with those. I hauled a dirtbike once or twice before getting my etrac set up.

I put down a piece of plywood on the floor and attached wheel chocks to that. I put a layer of the thinsulate on the wall and then a nice oak plywood over it. I attached several pieces of Etrac on it. You could probably do it straight to the metal if you really wanted.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks! have you had any issues with the diesel model, like I've been seeing on various forums?

I have had my diesel for 1.5 years and zero problems. It is one of the first 2014s made. It has received several computer flashes (updates) in the 16k miles I have driven it plus a couple oil changes, all else has been good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts