Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Truly a unique build. Simple/rugged/utilitarian. Anxious for more. I wish I had firred the walls.

Reactions: pvangel

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Truly a unique build. Simple/rugged/utilitarian. Anxious for more. I wish I had firred the walls.

Roblee that is exactly what I was going for, simple/rugged/utilitarian! But with all the comforts of home :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Have to have curtains!

I mounted up thin cable spaced off door so they could move easy.

The sliding door handle is kind of blocked by the cabinet so I attached a cable to handle and mounted the other end half way down door so it is easy to open door from inside.

Wheel wells are boxed in and trim is applied.

I put in aluminum corners so they didn't get damaged from footpegs etc.

Crown molding installed (Which is a HUGE pain to do!)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I have used these Ecotemp shower units before and they are inexpensive ( About $100) and simple as can be. I am only at race tracks and have no problem taking a shower in my underwear so I just do it as simple as possible but a nice HOT shower after a race and a long ride home is key to being comfortable.
It is supposed to be mounted outside but I had an idea how to keep it inside.

I ran the water line under floor from front water tank to back below the shower unit.

I had a tin nocker friend make up an exhaust hood for it. In general I don't run it for more then 30 seconds at a time but ran a test on it for about 5 minutes and although it gets warm there is enough airspace around it that nothing in the van gets hot. Since the install we have probably taken 20 (short) showers in it with no issues.

I painted it white with high heat paint to match.

I have a suction cup wand holder I stick to side of van and leave back door 1/2 way open for a semi private shower.

Propane tank is mounted behind wheel well.

I added a hose at front of van to just be able to hose off between motos or wash gear off which has been great to have.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Rims..... A motovan has to have rims but I had no idea what a pain it would be to actually get some and then mount them up.
It turns out there are only 3 rims that will fit this van (Or thats all I could find) And I settled on these Vision wheels.

I ordered them through Summit Racing and called to make sure they would be the right ones, the tech on the phone was very nice and checked with the manufacturer and said we were good to go and sure enough less then a week later they showed up at my door. I had to wait a few days till I could run it up to a friends shop and with much anticipation we tried one AND...... it didn't fit, wrong hole spacing :(

Back to an email with Summit and they said I was right, wrong wheels but they could ship them direct from Vision so a week later they showed up and off I went to the shop and excited as Christmas morning for a 5 year old we gave them a try.........

They don't fit :(

Wheels were correct now but stock lug bolts do not fit in the holes, so......Email Summit and they say to call Vision because they have no idea what to do. So I get Vision on the phone and they say "YEP" can't use stock lug bolts and you have to buy them separate but they don't sell them and to try "Gorilla Nuts" and Summit should have known this......

Google Gorilla Nuts and go on there website and don't see any 16mm lug bolts anywhere so go to local Truck supply place and they say they are not available anywhere....NAPA, same thing, not available, go to a truck tire shop, not available, go to a local towing company that works on trucks......nope.

So I call Gorilla and he says "Yep we got them and they are part of our slim line bolts" I said I will take them but they don't sell them to public I have to go to a retailer but there none around me but tells me Summit sells them they just probably don't know it.....

Back to Summit with the part numbers supplied by Gorilla and they say they don't sell them and I tell them yes you do and please order them....which they did,

I am now three plus weeks into trying to get these rims mounted and have spent countless hrs emailing and calling to try and figure out how to get this done and then a small heavy box shows up with shiny slimline 16 mm lug bolts in it and I think I might finally be there!!!

Off to my friends shop for a test fit and somehow and someway.........they FIT.

My disappointed Christmas morning that was three weeks ago was now forgotten as I finally was able to see RIMS on the Promaster and it didn't look like a plumbers van anymore.

I think it was worth the wait.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I have been using the PM a lot since completing it, really works great!

2 MX bikes and the ebike packed up for the weekend.

Set up to sleep two.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I spent Saturday at my friends old school graphics shop getting the PM all stickered up. He even does painted pinstriping which is pretty much a lost art, his shop is a step back in time. A gentleman and true artist, I couldn't believe the time and thought he put into my little project.

The idea was to still keep it somewhat stealthy but with a touch of cool so a tone on tone color was used, I did want to pay homage to the original Yamahauler but make it more modern.

He first did a paper printout of what he wanted to do to check size and layout. This layout was different then anything he had sent me before but he felt it fit better and I just let him do what he wanted as he is the expert not me.

It was then cut out on his plotter.

And taped on for a alignment.

And installed.

Reversed for other side.

Then to tie it together and with a nod to the old Yamahauler he did 3-4 paper templates to get the curve of the hood correct.

And did the back doors to match.

And some personalized touches.

All done outside his shop

I couldn't be more happy with the outcome, looks a little racy but not over the top.

·
Registered
116 Posts
That is fantastic! I've been thinking of doing something the break up the monotony on my Travato. I race an R6, so the yamaha scheme crossed my mind. Well done.

·
Banned
2 Posts
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. "Promasterforum.com Introduction Section " Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted.
Awesome build! I'm a Vet racer as well and I got back into motocross after 15 years off in 2019, but I have been racing mountain bikes most of that time. My family finally moved out of the City and moved to a nice suburb where I can (Barely) fit a 3rd car/van. I am likely going to buy a PM 136 with less than 40k miles on it and do a build like this. I've been trying to settle on a layout for motocross/mountain biking that wouldn't block off the cargo capacity too much. I want to be able to do some short camping trips on the weekend with my kids and take my wife on mountain bike trips (without the kids) on some weekends too. I am super excited to build this out but I want to really think it through. Your post has a lot of great ideas for the type of van I need - I already have a house!

Questions:
  • Can you share your thoughts on the PM itself? Has it been reliable?
  • Is it uncomfortable on longer trips? I've heard the seats aren't very good.
  • Have you had issues with smells in the van from the fuel?

Some goals I have that may differ:
  • Need a 2nd set of bucket seats on L-Track that could be removed for my kids, there are also ford transit seating systems that come out that could be installed (I know the dangers of doing this with a cargo van, It would be rare that they'd be in there so its probably worth the risk).
  • I want my bed to be larger, queen(ish) size above the bikes. The MOAB bed is not available for the PM yet so I'll probably build a knock off with my buddy who's a fabricator using some telescoping aluminum stock and LTrack or maybe even just a couple of fixed positions.
  • Have you found that the spray foam warped the vehicle panels more over time? Or was it like a one time thing? Was it ever severe to where it looked dented in? can you post about that? I'm leaning more towards using something that is hydrophobic like thinsulate and putting in a vapor barrier inside behind the sheathing.
  • I think I'm going to remove the bulkhead and put swivel seats in.

Most of the other stuff you did is definitely very similar to my needs, thanks for this excellent post!

Thanks!

Chris

·
Registered
2018 3500 EXT
2,399 Posts
Very minor buckling on the floor, it is much better then the tiles.

The foam did create some waves in the exterior panels, these vans have some "movement" to them but I can see where the foam pulled in the panels. Nobody else has noticed it but it does bother me a bit. I have some graphics(not a wrap) coming for it that will take your eye away from it though.
I have not seen a perfectly “straight” PM body & I always look for some sick reason.

Dark colours will show more imperfections than lighter colours. Critical lighting conditions will also show imperfections in the 0.030” skins. I “accentuated” the imperfections of my white PM & can see it in critical lighting conditions. It bothered my while building & now it does not once we got out and started using the van.

Nice Build you have done 👍

21 - 33 of 33 Posts