Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for a good option to provide a cross breeze for my fan in the front of my PM. I have my solar panels mounted in the rear of the van so I can't put a second vent on the roof there. Windows look like they would be about $800 for the two of them which is a non-starter for me.

I've looked at various vents but none of them really were what I was looking for so I had the thought of putting an unpowered roof vent on the back door. Has anyone done this? Any reasons you can think of why it wouldn't work? Specifically I'm looking at this one and mounting it on the rear door.

Security is one thought that occurred to me and I plan to rig up a cover on the inside that would provide both insulation and an additional layer of difficulty for anyone who wants in. (And if they want in that badly, they would just break a window)

·
Premium Member
2019, 159", High Roof, 2500
107 Posts
Hi Promaster. I’m in process of trying to decide which windows to put in my rear doors (currently have none) and I’m between vented and solid. Curious what you try here since I’ve been leaning toward the cheaper solid windows but like the idea of air options too. I trust you have seen this source for window options

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Promaster. I’m in process of trying to decide which windows to put in my rear doors (currently have none) and I’m between vented and solid. Curious what you try here since I’ve been leaning toward the cheaper solid windows but like the idea of air options too. I trust you have seen this source for window options
Thanks for the link. $250/window is definitely better than $400/window I was seeing for the CR Lawrences but still a lot pricier than the vent option.

For what it's worth, I've definitely wished I had cross-ventilation on the hot summer months and that was when I was by myself. Now that there's two of us in my van, it's essential.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Do a search for "Horse Trailer Vents", "Trailer Vents" and "Cargo Vents. There are lots of options available, I'm sure one will meet your needs.

also check out:

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
660 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ended up following 83grumman's suggestion (more or less). I bought 2 of these and spray-painted them white: Black Steel Popup Air Flow Roof Vent High Profile w/ Gasket & trim | dogboxparts

They're high-quality, steel, and look like they'll hold up. They also came with a 2" trim ring and gasket which most of the other sites charged extra for.

I'll be installing them in the next couple days.

@83Grumman: I'm assuming you installed them into the single-ply sheet metal and not the ribs? From your photo it doesn't look like there would be enough clearance but I guess it worked? Any challenges or lessons learned on the install? Did you get a trim ring for the inside?

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
660 Posts
I used 1/8" pcv sheet material to screw into. I set them where I thought they looked best and had to put a little raise into the inner door lip for clearance. Mine protrude 2.5", your dimensions say 1.27" so you should have lots of room.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,196 Posts
Hi,
One thing I would be careful about is that there is that when driving, there is a low pressure area at the back of the van and could result in exhaust fumes including CO being sucked into a vent on the back door if the vent is not closed and sealed well while driving.
It seems like the high location that 83grumman uses would be better this way.

Gary

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
660 Posts
Hi,
One thing I would be careful about is that there is that when driving, there is a low pressure area at the back of the van and could result in exhaust fumes including CO being sucked into a vent on the back door if the vent is not closed and sealed well while driving.
It seems like the high location that 83grumman uses would be better this way.

Gary
I'll have to do a smoke/vapor test some day. Big pail of dry ice and water. Windows up, windows down, heater fan on, heater fan off, max fan open... Think I'll get pulled over? Dave's not here man.
Btw my exhaust now exits drivers side in front of rear wheel so maybe I am safer than stock.

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
1,095 Posts
@GaryBIS - Good point. I'd like to put a rear vent (one of those round ones with a fan in it) on my back door but there's no room on my LT doors since the glass goes all the way up. Thought about the open area on the right side below the glass but it's too close to the road/exhaust area. I really don't want to put it on the side of the van but may have to if I can find an unobtrusive looking one that I can paint silver to match the van.

Something like this might work but of course out of stock:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts