Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are contemplating replacing our MSW inverter with PSW so that we can use induction cooking and an Instapot. It seems prices have decreased and options have increased in the last couple of years, or maybe we didn't do enough research then. Ideally, we are looking for a 1,500W unit that would fit under the driver's seat. It must have remote control, but needs only one outlet, no other bells and whistles. No charging function. Given that our 700W microwave that uses ~950W is our biggest user, we probably could get away with a 1,000W inverter, but we'd like to retain that margin.

Quality generally follows price, but not always. Suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
260 Posts
We have a Renogy 1000w with remote that runs our Nuwave PIC induction cook top. Uses no measurable current when turned off with the remote. Fan only runs as needed.

They have 2000w model with remote as well.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Off-Grid-Pure-Sine-Battery-Inverter/dp/B00GWCEZ60[/ame]

·
Registered
756 Posts
I'd urge you to research 'low-frequency' (LF) type DC-AC inverters. Sure, your plans only include X, Y & Z and more might never be needed but it's about the same money for a superior product.

·
Registered
43 Posts
MsNomer,
I was reading that currently you were only using microwave on shore power. By using the inverter to draw power to the batteries wouldnt that cause large voltage drops? Is there a way that you have found to predict the minimum mAh of batteries to make the voltage drop negligible? Like for example you only need batteries with 200Ah to prevent batteries from dropping below 12.1v. Interested in adding certain high watt electrical devices as well

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Not sure your budget, but before I bought my van (that already has an inverter) I was looking at this model. It's a 2000w so a little overkill (but extra wiggle room doesn't hurt).

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-PROWatt-Inverter-Model-806-1220/dp/B002LGEMOQ[/ame]

The remote is extra though, only $25. And they also have a 15a transfer switch designed for this model if you don't already have one.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
There is also this model from Xantrex, it's newer and has the remote and transfer switch included:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-Freedom-817-2000-Power-Inverter/dp/B074TDSRF1[/ame]

EDIT: Oops, looks like this version doesn't have the remote control included. Some other xantrex models have a removable remote from the body of the inverter, but this one does not.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Zoomyn, we first read about the low-high frequency last night. We can't think of anything we might ever use in the van that would require the more expensive/larger low frequency. Can you enlighten us? Given the number of times already we have upgraded, we understand the risk.

rocket fish, we did have an issue with the MW until we added the second 100Ah battery. Now, the instantaneous voltage drop is rarely below 12V and never below 11.8V. Neither the induction nor the Instapot have that much draw. Also, IIRC, we've never drawn the batteries down below mid-60’s%, so we should be able to use these new appliances with some abandon.

nubulight, I have been sorely tempted by the Xantrex, but it seems the 1000W is pressing the lower limit and the 2000W is vast overkill.

I have not found anything negative about the Vertamax. Does anyone have experience/knowledge?

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/VertaMax-Inverter-Cables-Remote-Control/dp/B06XPRJ1HB/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1514485989&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=vertamax+1500+watt+12v+power+inverter&psc=1[/ame]

·
Super Moderator
10,178 Posts
Still a lot of money for not much improvement. Perhaps it might make sense when originaly building but as a retrofit to only use for cooking purposes it seems a bit much.

I only use my cheapy HF 2k inverter to run the 700w microwave and like MsNomer it rarely even drops below 12.4v while running and then quickly recovers to a full charge of 13.6 or more. Another solution looking for a problem I think!

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
You are correct, KOV. I am the forum poster child for under-estimating future electrical wants and thus wasting money over the long haul by upgrading. I hope that newbies will learn from my mistakes and build in from the beginning the most robust electrical system they can afford. At least we filled the roof with 300W solar when 200W was recommended as "plenty." ("Filled" to our satisfaction. We could probably cram another 100W by extending to the sides, but that would not please us aesthetically.)

This situation is a bit ironic considering that I caught some flak in the early days for extravagances such as Marmoleum flooring and Thinsulate when they weren't as well understood and cheaper alternatives would "do just fine."

·
Registered
756 Posts
Most high-frequency (HF) designs emulate smooth 60-cycle waves from 40,000 or 50,000 spike bits and filter smooth the result, cheap to manufacture and small and lightweight to ship, store and display. HF units don't have much 'surge' or 100% continuous duty ability unless seriously overbuilt with price factor to match.

The LF units physically weigh 3, 5, 7 times that of the HF units due to large transformers and heavy copper storing potential magnetically versus firing a string of transistors another 1000 times; LF usually* will throw their label ratings all day long without complaint, with large surge capacity, and having the slower switching speed are less vulnerable to spurious timing issues that cause chain-reaction meltdowns in HF units, slower control signals means less radio-frequency noise pollution too.

Cheaper* China eBay LF units have vastly improved the last few years, think low idle current and high overall efficiency but yes, there are AIMs brand units too that have all the charger and AC changeover gimmicks for 3x or 4x more money. The China units aren't perfect but are made to self-service, control boards and replacement parts cheap and sold direct. Think buying three of four units for the price of one US retail unit, and jumpering in home-built remote functions, linked vendor has real good feedback for selling 1000's of these.

AIMs LF units warranty is only a year and user pays shipping. Sensata Dimensions LF is a pricey brand, there are some ebay deals on used ones.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Interesting stuff, I see you can also get some of the cheapie China units on Amazon shipped from a US warehouse.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/6000W-1500W-Power-Inverter-110V/dp/B075D6D6RZ/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1514496114&sr=1-7&keywords=lf+inverter[/ame]

Might work for someone with an electrical background willing to roll-the-dice a bit. I don't think that's MsNomer, however.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Reactions: Ziggy Stardog

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just got my VertaMax Pure Sine 3000W in 2hrs ago then found out missing (1/0 Cables + Remote Control Switch + ANL Fuse) and the inverter plastic bag was opened and looks like it has been used. So pissed off with Amazon. 2 weeks i've been waiting for this and now got to return it and order new unit

·
Registered
2017 159, w/dual sliders. SF Bay area
1,006 Posts
Just got my VertaMax Pure Sine 3000W in 2hrs ago then found out missing (1/0 Cables + Remote Control Switch + ANL Fuse) and the inverter plastic bag was opened and looks like it has been used. So pissed off with Amazon. 2 weeks i've been waiting for this and now got to return it and order new unit
Not to thread hijack, but that sounds like the difference between Sold-by-amazon and sold-on-amazon.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Cheaper* China eBay LF units have vastly improved the last few years, think low idle current and high overall efficiency but yes, there are AIMs brand units too that have all the charger and AC changeover gimmicks for 3x or 4x more money. The China units aren't perfect but are made to self-service, control boards and replacement parts cheap and sold direct. Think buying three of four units for the price of one US retail unit, and jumpering in home-built remote functions, linked vendor has real good feedback for selling 1000's of these.

AIMs LF units warranty is only a year and user pays shipping. Sensata Dimensions LF is a pricey brand, there are some ebay deals on used ones.
Why is AC changeover and Charger a gimmick? Id say its convenient and easier. AIMS and Renogy sell the same Chinese unit with slight cosmetic differences.

·
Registered
104 Posts
ThomD, i understand what you meant but Amazon should have some kind of agreement with their vendors to honor and upheld to their customer orders. How can someone totally miss all those parts and shipped opened box to customer when clearly stated with those parts. i'll give WindyNation another shot at it

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've still been researching that Vertamax. Windy Nation admits it is not UL certified, but says it "meets the specs." This bothers me.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Why is AC changeover and Charger a gimmick? Id say its convenient and easier.. .
Because the original poster specified they were in this, their threads, application.

We are contemplating replacing our MSW inverter with PSW so that we can use induction cooking and an Instapot... . ...It must have remote control, but needs only one outlet, no other bells and whistles. No charging function. Quality generally follows price, but not always. Suggestions welcome.. .

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
1,995 Posts
Hi,
Another one from Amazon: [ame]https://www.amazon.com/Power-Inverter-Outlets-Battery-PS1005/dp/B01COA0UTE/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1514561869&sr=1-4&keywords=pure+sine+wave+inverter[/ame]

1500 watts and $180.

Don't know anything about it, but good reviews and apparently they have tech support that answers the phone.

Gary

1 - 20 of 39 Posts