Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing research on the possibility of using the wiring and timer / controller for the existing LED bar lights in the cargo area of my van for new LED puck lights I’ll install in the ceiling.

I realize these are controlled by the upfitter port in the passenger side, and will be on a timer since connected to my van battery.

I'm going minimal with electrical system hoping I can connect a 14 gauge run of wire from my puck lights to the wiring going to the back upfitter and use that push button to control my "house" lights, I’ll only have 4 LED puck lights.

I can't find much info on this being done and know the existing wiring has 4 cables which I'm not sure now to work with. Any help or info would be much appreciated! I know there are other threads on using the upfilter but I haven't found that anything that focuses on using existing wiring to the LED strips for new puck lights.

Pictures attached.

LED PUCK LIGHT

WIRING FROM UPFITTER TO EXISTING BAR LIGHTS

UPFITTER PANEL COVER

UPFITTER ?

·
Registered
2019 159 EXT HR (3500) in WA
1,425 Posts
If might work. I'd check the voltage sent by the OEM controller to the OEM LED strips first to make sure that the OEM controller is not doing some LED driving gymnastics - - if it is between 12v and 14v and you would probably be good.

This advice is free, and may be worth exactly that.

Also what is referred to as the upfitter connector (if you have one) is behind this cover, near the base of the passenger seat.

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
686 Posts
Doing research on the possibility of using the wiring and timer / controller for the existing LED bar lights in the cargo area of my van for new LED puck lights I’ll install in the ceiling.

I realize these are controlled by the upfitter port in the passenger side, and will be on a timer since connected to my van battery.

I'm going minimal with electrical system hoping I can connect a 14 gauge run of wire from my puck lights to the wiring going to the back upfitter and use that push button to control my "house" lights, I’ll only have 4 LED puck lights.

I can't find much info on this being done and know the existing wiring has 4 cables which I'm not sure now to work with. Any help or info would be much appreciated! I know there are other threads on using the upfilter but I haven't found that anything that focuses on using existing wiring to the LED strips for new puck lights.

Pictures attached.

LED PUCK LIGHT
. View attachment 76321
View attachment 76322
UPFITTER PANEL COVER
View attachment 76323

UPFITTER ?

View attachment 76324

Pictures attached.

LED PUCK LIGHT
. View attachment 76321
View attachment 76322
UPFITTER PANEL COVER
View attachment 76323

UPFITTER ?

View attachment 76324
I have those cargo lights. I do not have the upfitter package.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahhh, so it’s not the uofitter package. Trying to read through and make sense of everything. There is a control button/panel in the C Pillar that controls these lights. Found this thread here I’m digging into now: LED Light bars

·
Registered
79 Posts
The Mopar 68257885AA is an LED current controller/driver with dimming feature. I don't know where/how the dimming is controlled. Maybe by holding down the on/off switch?

The module outputs are expecting a string of bare LEDs connected in series. The controller/driver should be able to dim any brand of LED strip with (approximately) the same number of LEDs in series.

Of course the LED strip must be OK with the maximum current setting or it could melt down. I don't know if the maximum current level can be changed on the 68257885AA.

·
Registered
Ex-Amazon 2019 PM 2500 159" high roof in KS
309 Posts
Can you bypass that control box to get constant 12V from the battery? If you unplug that connector labeled "POWER", is it a constant 12V? I bet one of those other two goes to the plug in the ceiling. You could just cut that box out of the equation. The upfitter connection in the passenger B pillar is a direct 12V from the battery with a 70A fuse on it. It's constant, so any timing mumbo jumbo is in that box.

I also have those puck lights (I'm sure about half of us do), and I have mine on a simple rotary dimmer. It's pricey, but it's also nice and small.

·
Premium Member
2018 159 High Roof gas, BC, Canada
1,699 Posts
LED puck lights consume very little power and so you won't need thick wire to run them. AWG 14 is overkill really. I think I'm using 16. So it's cheap.

For a switch, I used an inexpensive dimmer that @proeddie recommended and I like it as it allows me to set the level of lighting that I want and further save on battery power if I don't need it bright.

What I'm saying is that despite you wanting to go minimal, running the puck lights on their own circuit with a dimmer is dead-easy and pretty minimal itself and you won't have to fuss with trying to integrate it into an existing PM setup. KISS!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Mopar 68257885AA is an LED current controller/driver with dimming feature. I don't know where/how the dimming is controlled. Maybe by holding down the on/off switch?

The module outputs are expecting a string of bare LEDs connected in series. The controller/driver should be able to dim any brand of LED strip with (approximately) the same number of LEDs in series.

Of course the LED strip must be OK with the maximum current setting or it could melt down. I don't know if the maximum current level can be changed on the 68257885AA.
The LED strips are part no 68257886AA - which are the lights associated with the molar module you mention. I’m curious if the LED puck lights will be able to handle the maximum current from the molar module if I replace them for the strips? I can’t seem to find any specs on the module or led strips that would give me current Info? But I’m new to this so unsure if there is another way to identify that?
I just ordered some 12v puck lights off Amazon and am hoping to use this Mopar 68257885AA controller/driver to control the puck lights until I get the rest of my solar system setup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts