Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a Promaster and having a conversion done, but the person for the conversion is currently around 2-3 months backed up.

I'm intending on using the vehicle primarily as a mobile office working at a desk for 5-6 hours a day. Also want to sleep / camp in it once a week, ideally sometimes in an urban area.

My question is - is there some stuff I can do to get the van semi-comfortable without too much effort? I'd like to be able to use it while waiting for the full conversion. I figure I might learn some stuff about my needs for the space through playing around. I may secretly hope getting in there and doing some stuff will give me the confidence to do some of the conversion myself. I'm not if I need that kind of project in my life right now or don't at all :)

There are currently no windows, there is a barrier up front behind seats, and I'm in Northern California so weather is currently in mid-50's.

Here are my ideas:

1) Get one of those VanRugs for the floor
2) Get a little propane heater (and CO monitor)
3) Put a chair and folding table back there
4) Use a camping mattress / sleeping bag
5) Toss a bean bag sofa thing back there
6) Maybe get one of those camper batteries for electronic devices

Maybe I want to make sure there's no magic in the conversion process I'm missing out on that makes that empty space safe and habitable? I've never really spent several hours in the back of a van or a truck or slept in one that wasn't modified to be a camper.

The major things that contribute to that to me seem to be:

1) Insulation
2) Ventilation fan
3) Windows

Is it going to be miserable without those? Any other ideas come to mind? I don't mind getting tools and doing some stuff, but I'd like to have it functional as soon as possible to start seeing how it works for me.

Thanks for any input!!

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
Just go do it. You will survive and you will be much more knowledgeable after the experience. Yes you do want those things for comfort but a bit of discomfort makes for an adventure, as long as you survive, and you will.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Good plan. And cheap to start. It's what I did. Add a cooler. Add a cot with insulated pad-easier to use and store tubs or duffels underneath. Use D-rings to secure table n cot so they don't move while driving.

Reactions: bruddhist

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Well, I did it!

1500 136" Wheelbase Diesel.

Got it shipped in and missed that front seat is bench and there is a passenger side sliding door.

So nice to work and camp from even with no vents or windows! Strapping stuff down is kind of awesome I think I could outfit this whole thing with Amazon and Target and be pretty pleased haha.

Any red flags?

I started insulating it myself and covered up with some plastic. I'm thinking about finishing insulation, having paneling, windows, and a roof vent done. Honestly kind of wish I'd bought a cheaper van because now am realizing how fun this mechanical stuff is and would like to do it myself. Had been thinking about having it all done by someone else before. Something feels wrong about using something so nice to learn on not sure what that is about. Am I missing something? Should I just go for it?

Does that kind of work hurt resale value if I have it done by someone with experience? Am in Northern California and market seems pretty strong for campers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've also been thinking of a mobile office conversion that would work for camping. Beyond insulation, windows and a roof fan, I'm thinking of building a platform to serve as both a large desk and a bed with storage drawers. I'd also like a removable small cabinet with sink w/ fresh and grey water containers. I haven't seen many folks doing any sort of mobile office. I'm interested to see how your plans go. Have fun!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts