Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 - 136" HR
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All~

I am adding a 30amp shore power inlet to my build.
There are lots of great clean installs on this forum with great information. I plan to follow suit with using the left side bumper and routing through the trailer wire entry hole.
Below is one example of the location I plan on using (taken from Josh Cissell's thread).

I have this fancy marine grade inlet. And I am using Ancor 10/3 stranded wire.

My question: are there any measures I need to take to protect the rear of the inlet from the elements, and what might be said measures?

The back of the inlet simply has a plastic cover on the wires and a clamp for stress relief on the wire connections. Upon investigation, that bumper trim looks like precipitation would just deluge through it, leaving the back of inlet pretty exposed.

I'm not sure what my ultimate concern is other than keeping the electrical connections clean and dry... just seems like high voltage + H20 is never good. I think this inlet is really designed for a surface mount that creates a watertight seal. I would love to avoid putting the big 1.5" hole in the side of my van. But am I overthinking it?

The inlet is going to route into a 2kW inverter/charger. I'm still reading "the book" and gleaning as much info as I can. I'm really glad I have a project during these times of social distancing.

Cheers and thanks in advanced for any input.

-Stephen

·
Premium Member
2018 - 136" HR
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could put it in a waterproof enclosure mounted below the bumper, like....

then use a waterproof fitting to exit the box with wire to the inside of the van.
Hey Proeddie- I've gawked at your rig plenty and I considered doing an install like this.
But is that a 20amp inlet? The inlet I bought is 30amp and seems much larger (see link in first post). The enclosure would have to be huge to use the inlet I bought.

·
Super Moderator
8,686 Posts
Just get a 4 x 4 or 6 x 6 plastic box instead?

·
Premium Member
2018 - 136" HR
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking a box that big would be pretty clunky to have hanging off the back, but if that's the only way to make the connection safe/secure than I'll certainly look into it.

But I'm mostly curious if others who have used this access point used a means of protecting the inlet from elements, or whether it's posed any problems/concerns not doing so.

·
Premium Member
2018 - 136" HR
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe I should just return that big fancy-pants 30amp inlet I bought and get a smaller/simpler one that could more easily be installed on a waterproof box.

My original plan was always to install a 30amp inlet. I've recently been questioning whether I really need 30amp. I have the pretty big inverter so it just felt like a way to future-proof. But I'll never run an AC unit. But I'm really just itching to get this task done so I can move on!

·
Registered
2,919 Posts

·
Registered
2,919 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
There sure are lots of ways to do this. I installed our 30A exactly like Josh Cissell's and it's been totally fine. Since I don't plan on fording rivers, the weather-tightness seemed perfectly adequate to me. In fact, the 10-3 cabtire I used was a little too big for the hole (&$^^#!!). You could also apply some chalking, if you want.

·
Premium Member
2018 - 136" HR
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There sure are lots of ways to do this. I installed our 30A exactly like Josh Cissell's and it's been totally fine. Since I don't plan on fording rivers, the weather-tightness seemed perfectly adequate to me. In fact, the 10-3 cabtire I used was a little too big for the hole (&$^^#!!). You could also apply some chalking, if you want.
Thank you all, I think I've settled on a plan.

Side note: I always seem to find more PM forum threads on a topic by just searching google, inevitably the PM forum comes up. As opposed to just the search bar in the forum. I thought I had read them all, but after posting I found more, doh! ((forehead slap)).

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've owned travel trailers for years - both with 30 amp and 50 amp inlets. For my van build I decided against either for many reasons, one being the issue you are having. For me a 20 amp inlet was sufficient as I do not plan on powering anything actually in the van off the outlet (though I did wire so I could). My plan is only to use it to charge the batteries. I went with this:

·
Registered
549 Posts
That looks like the one I got. It was made by Noico, and was very well made. It has an outlet on the end of a 6 foot cord that I plugged a power bar into.

·
Super Moderator
8,686 Posts
Yes, same problem. A good fix would be cut the strap and use a wire tie or small chain perhaps. Some day I may get around to doing it?

·
Premium Member
8,675 Posts
I just use a bit of E6000 or Silicone to hold it closed as I use that thing about once every 2-3 years!

·
Super Moderator
8,686 Posts
Yes that’s what I’m saying the cover won’t stay closed because of the piece that connects it to the unit itself is too stiff a thin longer flexible thingy would do the trick.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts