Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing a new Promaster, Transit, or Sprinter to make into my version of a travel/camper van. As of now the promaster is in the lead, I like the price, the look, the nearly vertical walls, and the engine. Transit next, and sprinter is probably not seriously considered. Any information from promaster owners about any issues, good or bad would be helpful. One of my concerns is the front only AC, I'm curious as to whether a properly insulated van can be properly cooled by the front AC? Ditto with the heat. The mpg numbers seem to be around 16-18 mpg, which I can live with. I know that there is a lot said about lower ground clearance, but I doubt that will affect me. I read that the nav system is not so good, but I can live without that as well. In short, we are not looking to go "glamping", just looking to build a decent travel vehicle that will be setup to eat/sleep in occasionally.

Thanks

Milosdad

·
Registered
703 Posts
I am considering purchasing a new Promaster, Transit, or Sprinter to make into my version of a travel/camper van. As of now the promaster is in the lead, I like the price, the look, the nearly vertical walls, and the engine. Transit next, and sprinter is probably not seriously considered. Any information from promaster owners about any issues, good or bad would be helpful. One of my concerns is the front only AC, I'm curious as to whether a properly insulated van can be properly cooled by the front AC? Ditto with the heat. The mpg numbers seem to be around 16-18 mpg, which I can live with. I know that there is a lot said about lower ground clearance, but I doubt that will affect me. I read that the nav system is not so good, but I can live without that as well. In short, we are not looking to go "glamping", just looking to build a decent travel vehicle that will be setup to eat/sleep in occasionally.

Thanks

Milosdad
Cooling the entire van with just the front is tough. You can cover the windows and make it cool enough to stay in but it'll be warm. It'll take a while to cool it down. Heating is no problem. 10 minutes and I'll burn you out of the van especially if your bed is higher up in the back.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts