Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I’m looking at buying a propex from a site in Great Britain since none seem to be in stock anywhere in the US. The site link is below. My question is about LP pressure and whether or not I can use this with standard US LP cannisters.

This is what is says about the heater:
Please be aware these heaters are rated for use with 30mb butane and 30/37mb propane.

And this is what is says about the low pressure regulator:

Good quality product. Propane gas regulator. 37mbar. 8mm nozzle. Suitable for appliances with low pressure. Ideal for use with cookers and gas-powered accessories.
Maximum Inlet Pressure: 20 bar Operating Pressure: 37mbar Capacity: 1kg/h Dimensions - 137x34x66mm Nut - 30mm Outlet - 8mm

and here‘s the website:
Propex Heatsource HS2000 12V LPG Gas Heater + Fitting Kit - J19842

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
2,947 Posts
This thread might interest you

·
Registered
2017 Promaster 2500 159 HT Gasser
323 Posts
I got the HS2000 two years ago from England and initially had problems with it getting to light. I have a long run from the tank (10 feet, tee junction half way, Y at the tank) and a cheaper 2 stage regulator. Anyway I finally got to it to run just fine by covering the exhaust end by about 25/30 percent with the metal HVAC tape. The exhaust and intake pipes are exactly the same length and was going to shorten one of them to put the system into balance for the lower pressure in the US but the help desk in England said that would be a no go so I experimented with partial covering (in effect making the pipe appear to be longer) of the intake and exhaust until I got the 25% solution.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Our HS2800 works just fine with a 20 lb standard tank and a generic 2-stage regulator. We used 3/8" piping that drops to 1/4" for the last bit to the propex (since it came with a fitting to go from the UK size to 1/4"). We have run the heater at the same time as our stove and it still seems fine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow thank you so much! That’s really valuable info. The company in GB says they only sell in Europe so I’m back to looking for one.

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
2,947 Posts
Our HS2800 works just fine with a 20 lb standard tank and a generic 2-stage regulator. We used 3/8" piping that drops to 1/4" for the last bit to the propex (since it came with a fitting to go from the UK size to 1/4"). We have run the heater at the same time as our stove and it still seems fine.
I ran 3/8” copper IIRC right to a 90 fitting I purchased @ my local RV store (pipe thread into the Propex & flare end for the copper pipe end). The “olive compression 1/4” 90“ that came with the Propex I did not use.

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
2,947 Posts
Thanks @AO Custom, they’re out of stock also. Must be nice to live anywhere but the US where things are still in stock.
This is Canada, but maybe they can ship to you?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Another item;

I purchased the “Digistat” & although I have no experience with the regular Controller, the supplier told me the Digistat was the way to go “easier to use & more temperature settings”

View attachment 68006
You may be right about that one. We used the included dial thermostat and it works fine, but each click of the dial is 2-3 degrees, so you can't be as picky about temps.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you so much for all the advice. I ordered the HS2800 today from propexcanada.com!

·
Registered
855 Posts
I did want to say I think european propane specs , fittings are different than on this continent . I might be wrong ish .
Read up on HVAC ducting methods to reduce the airflow noise when running , you'll be glad you did .

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
2,947 Posts
I did want to say I think european propane specs , fittings are different than on this continent . I might be wrong ish .
Read up on HVAC ducting methods to reduce the airflow noise when running , you'll be glad you did .
@KNDLKSTMS

Good Comments & I believe you to be correct(ish)

IMO, The biggest difference UK vs NA from what I could determine is the final pressure supplied to the appliance via regulator;

UK is 15 WC
NA is 11 WC

I easily found a fitting that screwed into the Propex inlet female thread; I did this by taking the 90 brass olive compression fitting with me to a RV shop and buying a fitting that was IIRC 3/8 copper flare on one end & screw into propex inlet on the other. I went with a 90, but depending upon a different installation a “straight” fitting could be used in lieu of A 90 (that way “clocking” does not become an issue when tightening up the fitting with yellow gas tape wrapped around the male threads).

HVAC airflow noise; This really is a function to the person hearing the “noise”. I am not a light sleeper, but my wife is. The heater coming on & off @ night when we are sleeping does not bother either of us. If I am semi-awake & cold(ish), I find that when the heater comes on it is a comforting white noise. The airflow with the Propex is a constant volume when the heater is running (this is different than a Diesel style heater, as the airflow on those units is controlled by a function of the diesel pump speed - the more diesel per time pumped into the heater the hotter & the faster the airflow). The short story here is diesel heaters can run so you barely hear the airflow, or they can be way louder than the Propex @ high pump speed. Even @ low pump speeds when you can barely hear the airflow, you can still hear the pump pulses (again, this can be comforting or annoying as, beauty is in the ears of the beholder). The pump to me sounds like a faint heart beat & is not annoying to me at all.

edit; An afterthought

Propex states not to use an “adjustable” regulator (ie dial up the final pressure from 11WC to 15WC). I did not research why. Factory set 11WC do have a “dial up or dial down” screw. I was going to purchase a pressure gauge & dial up my 11WC regulator after I tested it out with the factory setting, but since it works fine I did not mess with it. My caution here is the only appliance I have on this regulator is my Propex heater, thus I could dial up the pressure past the NA standard of 11WC. I have not done this to date.

·
Registered
855 Posts
In my 118" the ducting is very short to the 90' plenum / register . Added fiberglass cloth insulation (painted) inside and a duct divider . Reduced the high notes , now the humm is comforting as the van is warming .

·
Premium Member
2017 Ram ProMaster 2500 159WB
88 Posts
Another item;

I purchased the “Digistat” & although I have no experience with the regular Controller, the supplier told me the Digistat was the way to go “easier to use & more temperature settings”

View attachment 68006
We also purchased the Digi Stat and initially used that and loved it. Being able to set a timer for the heater to come on was huge. Somehow my other half broke the reset button which in my opinion is not the best design. In the dead of winter I installed the original thermostat which I kept and it works fine as well, and is much easier to reset. The main downside with the original is not having the digital display, and I have to set an alarm for an hour or 2 before we want to get out of bed to turn the heater on.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Resurrecting the pressure discussion, we have been having issues with our HS2800 at high altitude. Initially we thought it was dust getting up the inlet and blocking the flow sensor, since it only seemed to happen after long drives on dirt roads, but we finally made the connection that it is altitude-related. We would get a 4 flash error somewhere above 8000 ft elevation. Been talking with Vancafe (Rocky Mountain Westy) and have tried a few things, but it looks like the heater itself needs adjustment, so we're dropping it off today (they are in Ft Collins).

The regulator pressure seemed to have no impact on the problem, our initial regulator (a non-adjustable Gaspro one from amazon) was regulating at 14.5" WC during use, so we switched to a Marshall Excelsior adjustable one that is set at 11.5" WC but we have the same altitude issue. Vancafe said it should be okay at the higher pressure, but they do all of their testing at 11.5" WC. So it sounds like the propex likely doesn't care about pressure as long as it is between 11" and 15" WC.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts