Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those who have a propex heater installed, have you observed a parasitic draw even when it is turned to the off setting on the thermostat? Since hooking up my HS2800 we've had a 140mA (at 12.9V) draw from the unit, and we can confirm that is goes away when we pull the fuse. I contacted Propex and the units do "have a small parasitic draw" but said they never measured the amount. They also said they would confirm the amount, but 140mA seems high to me, so we're going to put the heater on a switch (frustrating, since the manual doesn't mention the draw).

·
Registered
739 Posts
Which thermostat does yours have? The mechanical dial one or a newer one? I have the mechanical dial one and do not have any parasitic draw.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
@supermoocow

We have the Digistat (digital controller) & after reading your post I tested the parasitic draw to report it for you. This test took almost no time at all with my Victron BM712 smart battery monitor

My Digistat & Propex has a when the heater is turned off but the batteries are turned on.

Here is the test;

Battery Off (Big Red 4 way switch)

Battery Off zero parasitic draw

Battery on “system” parasitic draw 0.2amps

Heater 5amp fuse pulled;

Parasitic draw after heater fuse pulled 0.1amp;
Fan / lights / water pump / usb outlets (all not switched)

Before you put in a switch, you might want to check with Propex if that is a good idea. A 0.1amp parasitic draw for our heater does not bother me while we have our battery turned on & we are using our van.

Propex parasitic draw might be a safety feature. I have not researched this aspect, however it would make sense to me if the unit has built in safety features.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Propex parasitic draw might be a safety feature. I have not researched this aspect, however it would make sense to me if the unit has built in safety features.
I also used a BMV-712 to diagnose! The drop to zero is when I pulled the fuse, and the spike is since the heater runs the fan briefly when first powered on.

Propex was fine with me using a switch, since that's no different than the main power switch being off. The power draw is apparently to support the unit running the fan for some time after the heat stops. (so don't turn off the switch immediately after turning the heat off, wait until it stops using the fan)

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
[QUO
@supermoocow

We have the Digistat (digital controller) & after reading your post I tested the parasitic draw to report it for you. This test took almost no time at all with my Victron BM712 smart battery monitor

My Digistat & Propex has a when the heater is turned off but the batteries are turned on.

Here is the test;

Battery Off (Big Red 4 way switch) View attachment 66830

Battery Off zero parasitic draw
View attachment 66831

Battery on “system” parasitic draw 0.2amps
View attachment 66832

Heater 5amp fuse pulled;
View attachment 66833

Parasitic draw after heater fuse pulled 0.1amp;
Fan / lights / water pump / usb outlets (all not switched)
View attachment 66834

Before you put in a switch, you might want to check with Propex if that is a good idea. A 0.1amp parasitic draw for our heater does not bother me while we have our battery turned on & we are using our van.

I have a Propex HS2800 and may try a similar test just out of curiosity. Just started using it again as the temps are dropping. Off topic but @RV8R What fuse / breaker box do you have? I was looking for something like that when I did my build but never quite found what I was looking for.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
[QUO

I have a Propex HS2800 and may try a similar test just out of curiosity. Just started using it again as the temps are dropping. Off topic but @RV8R What fuse / breaker box do you have? I was looking for something like that when I did my build but never quite found what I was looking for.
@EricO

Much more info detail on my build thread on the Parallax 8345 & other electrical items.

Check out this website;

This below is just a quick reference (I did not pay $770 Can for this)

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts