Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone intalled a propex heater in a Promaster. I'm just starting my build and thinking of using one. I'm planning on getting the HS2211 model (mounts on exterior)

http://westyventures.com/propex.html

The advantages:

Saves space

Draws 1.7 amps

Mounts under the chassis (outside the van)

My main concern is that it puts out 6500 BTU's. I'm not sure this is enough. I'm going to insulate walls, floor and ceiling really well. I live in San Diego but plan on traveling someday to Alaska and Canada. Also I'm planning on installing a full bathroom / shower, full size rv fridge and as many cabinets and storage as possible. Meaning that there will not be as much "air" space in my campervan as some of the other builds I've seen.

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Hi,
That looks like a nice heater, and nice that it does not take up space inside. I'd guess the outside mount would also be quieter.

I've got a 136WB, high roof with pretty good insulation, and 3 added windows. The calculated heat loss for mine is 4500 BTU/hr with 70F inside and 0F outside -- that's running full time.

So, if you allow for some reserve the 6500 BTU/hr output seems OK for temps down toward 0F as long as you have insulation as good or better than mine. This is just an estimate based on the calculator below -- based on my experience with my own van furnace, the calculator may be a bit optimistic.

You can do your own estimate using this calculator: http://www.builditsolar.com/References/Calculators/VanHeatLoss/VanHeatLoss.htm

If you are going to be traveling up to AK in the dead of winter where temps might get down to -40F, then you would probably need more BTU, but for trips in the spring, summer, and early fall, I'd think you would be OK. Keeping an RV operating in mid winter in AK has probably got a lot of challenges besides the furnace :)

I've got an Atwood 12,000 BTU/hr input (about 9300 BTU/hr output). I like it so far. Pretty quiet, no problems. If you embed it in a galley cabinet or under a bed, the grill that faces out is about 7 inches wide by 11 inches high - depth is about 21 inches. Both the cold air inlet and warm air outlet use this 7 by 11 grill space (there are no ducts) -- so, its pretty compact. About $440. I've used it in temps a below 20F, and its been fine.

---
You mention putting a lot of cabinets and features in your RV. I'll just pass on that we had a Ford van based RV (about the same room as a PM high roof) that was made by Coachman. They attempted to put in everything that a large RV would have, and it was so crammed with stuff that it just felt uncomfortably tight. We ended up redoing the whole inside to take a lot of the excess out and open it up -- we were much happier with less stuff and more space. But, this is a very personal thing -- just something to think about.

Gary

·
Registered
15 Posts
Propex heater

I've got one in my van conversion. I like it. It was mounted inside under the cabinets. My friend says it is quieter than the heater in his Sprinter/Winnebago, and I think it is quiet, certainly not silent but I'm happy with it. We are fine sleeping in a cool environment (high 40s), so turning on the heat in the morning to start the day is nice. The interior is small enough that we didn't feel the need to direct 3-4 outlets to the various corners of the vehicle. I think 1 inlet and one outlet works fine for us. We used the 42" x 8" tank mounted cross-wise similar to how it is done in Europe, with remote fill. We did have to re-route the exhaust a bit. If I had it done again I'd try to have it mounted underneath....but I realize grey water/black water sewer plumbing takes priority. Now if Honda would just make a low profile generator....not sure why they need to be "vertical"...maybe easier to carry, or because its always been done that way.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RV123

Please let me know where I can get the propane tank and extension you are talking about and please let me know where you mounted it

Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts