Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
That tank should work but is to be mounted outside the living space of the RV and protected. Outside often means inside a sealed compartment that is vented to the atmosphere.

You say “in” like inside? I would’t think of having one inside the van.

·
Registered
83 Posts
There are a few builds out there that have a propane tank in the van in a sealed container. I think Gary does as well as a few others if done right I don't see the problem.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm no expert but there's 100's of van dweller videos with a propane tank inside their van and they've been doing it for many years including those living full time in their van. I think if connected correctly and turned off when not in use along with a proper detector installed in the van I don't see a problem. Mine will be inside.

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
Just so you know the rules for your insurance and liability:

From ANSI A119.2 / NFPA 1192 (1999 edition)
2-2.3 Location of LP-Gas Containers. LP-Gas containers shall be in accordance with the following:
(a) LP-Gas container shall not be installed nor shall provisions be made for installing or storing any LP-Gas containers, even temporarily, inside any recreation vehicle. Containers shall not be mounted on the exterior of the rear wall or rear bumper of the vehicle.
Exception: New LP-Gas cylinders that have never contained LP-Gas, supplied as original equipment, shall be permitted to be transported inside the vehicle.

2-2.6.1 Ventilation of Compartments Containing LP-Gas Cylinders. Compartments shall be ventilated at or near the top and at the extreme bottom to facilitate diffusion of vapors. The compartment shall be vented with at least two vents having an aggregate free area equal to at least 0.5 in² for each 7lb (1cm² per gram) of the total LP-Gas fuel capacity of the maximum number of the largest cylinder(s) the compartment can hold. The vents shall be equally distributed between the floor and the ceiling of the compartment. If the lower vent is located in the access door or wall, the bottom edge of the vent shall be flush with the floor level of the compartment. The top vent shall be located within 12 in. (305 mm) of the ceiling of the compartment. Vents shall have an unrestricted discharge to the outside atmosphere. Doors or panels providing access to valves shall not be equipped with locks or require special tools to open.

What you do is up to you I guess but I’d build one of these vented containers and vent it to the atmosphere like I said in post #2 This door might look good for outside access and venting on the sealed interior compartment: https://www.ebay.com/itm/25-x-19-od...ash=item2cb92becd9:g:MQoAAOSw-0xYhTol&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
808 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,197 Posts
Hi,
That's the type tank I use. I enclose it in a strong, sealed container in the van that is vented to the outside.
Details here: http://www.buildagreenrv.com/our-co...van-conversion-installing-the-propane-system/

It has worked out well for us.

For the most part, we have just used the trade your empty tank for a full tank service that lots of places offer. So, the gauge is not really a plus in that you would lose it the first time you trade in your empty for a full. You can have the tanks refilled, but the trading is usually much faster -- just takes a couple minutes.

I use a grill gauge scale to see how much is left in the tank: [ame]https://www.amazon.com/Grill-Gauge-GG-1100-Original/dp/B0012GTU3O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481127863&sr=8-1&keywords=grill+gauge[/ame]
Its much more accurate than the built in gauges.
If I were doing it over, I'd look into one of the arrangements where the tank sits on a scale, so you can read how full it is without lifting the tank.

One thing to be aware of is that the common trade a cylinder places (eg Rhino) only give you 3/4 of a tank. I usually use a local place where you get a full 20 lbs.

I carry an extra 1 lb cylinder of propane and an adapter that allows it to be feed into the same regulator that the 20 lb tank uses -- this is just in case I run out of propane I have an emergency supply. If I had made the container that the 20 lb tank fits in just a touch larger, a couple of these 1 lb cylinders would fit into the empty corners.

One of these 20 lb tanks lasts forever in the summer, but in cold weather with the furnace on, we use about 0.3 gallons per night -- still lasts quite a while.

Gary

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update on my gas... er, propane tank.

I bought a tank and found out after two minutes that it can't live IN the van; the smell was way too strong. This is odd because I didn't see any bubbles after putting soapy water over the seals. The carbon monoxide sensor didn't go off, either. Either way, I don't plan to die in my sleep from propane.

For now, I'm going to keep using the 1 pound tanks in the Big Buddy (venting out from my MaxxAir fan/vent) and get a RV tank for under the van next winter.

I appreciate your input, everyone.

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
Smart of you. I feel better knowing you wont die of Propane fumes. But now I worry you might from those CO fumes given off from that BigBuddy. Yea, Yea I heard you, yess vent it. Best.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Smart of you. I feel better knowing you wont die of Propane fumes. But now I worry you might from those CO fumes given off from that BigBuddy. Yea, Yea I heard you, yess vent it. Best.
Awww, you worry about me? You're turning into a big softie, RD.

I put the Big Buddy right under the MaxxAir fan so any fumes should rise up through the opening. The sensor is about 3 feet from the heater so it should alert me if there is a problem. So far, so good.

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
Kidding, really I could give a %$#@. NOT! You will be fine even if you just crack a window and the vent. The way those heaters work the usual products of combustion are water vapor and carbon dioxide, pretty safe. Low oxygen due to the depletion of it in a closed container results in incomplete oxygenation of the carbon and then monoxide forms. Being odorless it goes undetected unless there is a sensor. We all need to have one.
See:[ame]https://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-CO400-Monoxide-Battery/dp/B000N8OYXI/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1518874738&sr=1-4&keywords=co+detectors+battery+operated[/ame]

If you have propane inside get a detector for that too:
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/MTI-Industries-30-442-P-WT-Propane-Alarm/dp/B000AMBHG4/ref=sr_1_22?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1518874871&sr=1-22&keywords=propane+detectors+battery[/ame]

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,197 Posts
Hi,
Definitely something wrong with the tank or connections to it.

You should not smell propane at all in the van except for a few seconds when you first hook it up. This is unusual and you should be able to find it and replace or fix the bad part/connection.

Could be the tank or regulator of the plumbing, but something is leaking.

You should for sure have a propane detector and CO detector and fire detector in the van.

Atwood makes a good propane detector.
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Atwood-36720-Hydro-Leak-Detector/dp/B0002F67Y6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518879227&sr=8-2&keywords=atwood+propane+detector&dpID=41z20rx9%252B6L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch[/ame]

I use a combined CO and fire detector that has a 10 year lithium battery.
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-PRC710-Combination-Photoelectric/dp/B00ON6M56Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1518879371&sr=1-1&keywords=co+and+fire+detector+lithium+10+year&dpID=31x63CKRjQL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch[/ame]

I tried this combined propane and CO detector that is popular for RVs earlier and had a lot of false alarm problems with it:
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/MTI-Industries-35-742-WT-Alert-Alarm/dp/B005GSFUWE/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1518879622&sr=1-2-fkmr0&keywords=combined+co+and+propane+detector+rv[/ame]

As mentioned, the propane tank should be in a sealed compartment that is vented to the outside.
http://www.buildagreenrv.com/our-co...van-conversion-installing-the-propane-system/

Gary

·
Registered
640 Posts
But now I worry you might from those CO fumes given off from that BigBuddy.
We were given a Mr. Heater, portable 'Buddy' a couple of years ago (during our tent camping days). We used it once for a couple of hours . . . but were concerned NOTWITHSTANDING that the manufacturer said it was safe to be used inside a tent! They must consider tents to be inherently porous and self-venting? We'll stay with our electric blankets in the ProMaster and take our chances with electrocution.

·
Banned
2 Posts
This is your last warning before you are banned from the forum Please be aware that all newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. Promasterforum.com Introduction Section Please be aware unt
I am very happy with DOZYAN! I have both a grill and a gas pizza oven and was trying to find something that I could not only hook both up to but also find out how much is in the tank. Very please and both functions seem to work well. I’ll update if anything changes, but we used it all day yesterday and didn’t have any issues with the connection putting on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts